What's new

The Ham Shack - B&B's Amateur Radio Club

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I had some serious "ducting" or whatever it's called once. I was monitoring 146.52? I think, and a guy came on and I found out he was in Indianapolis and I am here between Flint and Saginaw! We was in an big rig, and driving, and we talked long enough to get bored with each other! Never lost him. We just said all we had to say in about 15 minutes. Surreal. Two meters is strange sometimes.

Hi,

Quite often when we get a front come thru here I can work the 224.10 repeater atop Mt Greylock in North Adams MA from here in Raleigh NC. Ducting, indeed. The same doesn't occur on 2m.

73 Stan - w2ck

What would it take for an old 11 meter guy to get started? I have a Cobra 138 with some uppers and lowers, need to start looking at antennae's now that I have a house.

~doug~
Hi,

Good ideas have already been presented. For online, I find (as a VE) that the folks who use hamstudy.org do very well on the exams. For a book, I'd second the ARRL one.

hamstudy.org also has study for the commercial FCC licences. Such as the GROL (General Radiotelephone Operators Licence). They use a different set of examiners than amateur does. But hamstudy.org does have what is needed on that side as well. I only mention that for other folks who might be reading this and wondering about that side of the FCC licence structure.

As far as rigs go, there are many makers out there these days. The main ones are still Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu. I'd suggest a 2m/440 dual band rig to begin with. Could be a handheld easily enough if you can see the local hilltop antenna farm. Maybe find the local ham club and go to a meeting and make some friends who can advise you regarding what is around you.

Ham offers all these bands, but really the main one to begin with is 2m. Two Meters. 144-148 MHz. Then the 70cm band. Seventy Centimeters. But we usually quit on the wavelength (meters) moniker for frequencies above 2m.

The Technician is geared for VHF and up with just a small band space for SSB in the 10m band (28.3-28.5) which is just above the 11m band. So, 11m antennas can be cut down to 10m easily enough in most models. And many CB makers also make 10m radios so that can also be a beginning in your case.

The General is geared towards all of the amateur HF bands. Usually, one gets their Tech and runs with that for a while and then their General. It's a eye-opener to get on HF as the various bands have their open times which come and go. Day v Night and also the four seasons. But, no matter what time of day or time of the year, at least one band is always open. And then we talk all over the globe.

Locally, though, it's 2m and 440 and all you need is the Tech.

Stan - w2ck

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Locally, though, it's 2m and 440 and all you need is the Tech.
I have seen a few Yaesu 2m/440 dual band rig's that look interesting.
And many CB makers also make 10m radios so that can also be a beginning in your case.
My 148GTL Cobra had some upper frequencies added. I'll have to go look for the list. Lol. I still have a few K40 antennae's and a couple of fiberglass sticks laying around.
Maybe find the local ham club and go to a meeting and make some friends who can advise you regarding what is around you.
That does sound like a good idea.

The tallest peak in Riverside is a half mile away from my backyard.
20211215_163912.jpg

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Doug!! You'd be the best ham and SoCAL is ham radio central.

First, like @FarmerTan suggests, you want to get your Tech licence. This will be childsplay for you.

If you are a book type of guy, this is the one to get. It's great and will see you through the test easily. What I did was just take the Tech Practice test a few times a night for a few weeks. In less than 30 days I was nailing it.

Once you are ready we can help you find a local VE (guy who gives the tests) to connect with.

Do it!! I'd love to get on a linked repeater and chat with you. We could start up an B&B IRLP reflector :)
So what you are saying is to get my Tech license first, then start looking around for a radio?
Here is a pic of what looks like the Pleasant Peak Tower Building 2 from my back yard, about 15 miles line of sight.
20230125_122101[1].jpg

~doug~

So what you are saying is to get my Tech license first, then start looking around for a radio?

If you are like most of us gear nerds, you are likely going to do both in parallel. :) Plus having your radio setup, but not being able to talk on it, is a BIG motivation to getting the Tech completed. :001_tt1:

I'd recommend getting a base station setup out of the gate, rather than a hand held (HT) like most hams seem to do. Why not just start with a huge awesome signal first, then you can get a HT later.

I'd go with this dual band (VHF and UHF) antenna, then stick it on some type of mast and get it up 20' or so (the higher the better, mine is at 40'). I've used so many different things for masts - some were not really good ideas. Painter poles work pretty well!

Plug some low-loss coax into the antenna, down the pole and into the house to your radio desk (the "shack"). Some hams fret about lightning suppression....you can worry about that later :).

And your radio - and probably a laptop - will live on a desk in your shack. You'll need a PSU for 12v power for the radio and a radio. We could talk about radio options forever. This is a reasonable starter choice, but there are a ton of dual band radios out there and we haven't even started talking about the Chinese radios.

Or you just start with a 5w HT. Way less setup, just charge the battery and go. And you are in a very repeater dense area, you'd have no problem getting into most. But you'd probably have to stand outside the house (unless you plugged the HT into an external antenna) to use it.

That's a very very brief example of a very wide range of options to get on VHF/UHF.

Hi,

Yes. Get a base station setup. Not too many actual base station radios in Ham these days. As in 120 VAC units. Most use a mobile rig and a power supply and call it a base, which works just fine. Then you can listen around to 2m and 440 and, as already said, that provides motivation to get the Tech. One dual band radio and one dual band antenna goes a long way in the beginning.

Later, after you have the licence, you can think about another rig for the car or truck and then a handheld (just to fill out the set).

Then, you can begin thinking about the General and HF radios.

Stan - w2ck

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Yes. Get a base station setup.
Agreed. I used a mobile CB radio and power supply with my base antennae at my Mom's house. Lots of power is nice, but it's hard to beat altitude.
I'll start looking at antennae's first, then find a used radio to get started listening with.

~doug~

Hi,

One nice thing about Ham over CB is we get to use repeaters. So a few hams, usually ones also in the commercial radio business, put one receiver and one transmitter and one antenna atop a nice high spot and now lots of hams have the altitude. :)

Of course, repeaters are like potato chips. Can't stop with just one! So, they are all over the country. And on many bands from 10m on up. Most are on 2m and 440, hence the large number of dual band radio models. Also :) And the reason the starting point in Ham is the Tech licence. Also, Also :)

Stan - w2ck

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Hi,

One nice thing about Ham over CB is we get to use repeaters. So a few hams, usually ones also in the commercial radio business, put one receiver and one transmitter and one antenna atop a nice high spot and now lots of hams have the altitude. :)

Of course, repeaters are like potato chips. Can't stop with just one! So, they are all over the country. And on many bands from 10m on up. Most are on 2m and 440, hence the large number of dual band radio models. Also :) And the reason the starting point in Ham is the Tech licence. Also, Also :)

Stan - w2ck
I just took a look at the metal awning on my sideyard and realized it is magnetic, gonna stick my K40 up there, run some coax, and hook up my old Cobra 148 GTL.... it's a start. I have a regular mag base too, so the next logical step would be to look for a mobile 2 meter antennae... The mast can come later.

Then read up on repeaters, I have never actually seen someone using a Ham setup. One of my old CB buddy's had a Yaesu and I'm not sure if he had his Tech license, but he did mention having to study Morse Code a lot.....

~doug~

FarmerTan

I just took a look at the metal awning on my sideyard and realized it is magnetic, gonna stick my K40 up there, run some coax, and hook up my old Cobra 148 GTL.... it's a start. I have a regular mag base too, so the next logical step would be to look for a mobile 2 meter antennae... The mast can come later.

Then read up on repeaters, I have never actually seen someone using a Ham setup. One of my old CB buddy's had a Yaesu and I'm not sure if he had his Tech license, but he did mention having to study Morse Code a lot.....

~doug~
Type in your address and 2m repeaters in a search engine and I'll bet you a nickel there are a few repeaters that you can hit with a magnetic base whip.

Or buy (or build) a J pole antenna out of copper pipe or 10 gauge copper wire and hang it in a tree. THAT will reach out for miles.

I need to get active again.

FarmerTan

View attachment 1595425
This place is about a mile from where I live. Will check them out!

~doug~
If they are anything like the Hams I got to know back when I was involved in repeaters and Sky Warn here in Genesee county Michigan you will have more new friends, and equipment loaned/given to you than you will know what to do with.

Honestly, Amateurs are real werld versions of Badger and Blade folks. Lol, towers don't get put up by themselves, or with just one person.

Honestly, Amateurs are real werld versions of Badger and Blade folks. Lol, towers don't get put up by themselves, or with just one person.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Speaking of fun hams, Winter Field Day starts tomorrow!! Some shots from last year:

1674890574470.png
1674890615695.png
1674890632983.png

1674890741749.png
1674890794990.png

This year we're just running two HF stations, CW and voice. We'll be working as K7MCE on an OCF 10m-40m for voice and CW will probably be on 20m. If you make contact, let the operator know you want to talk to Adam KF7LJH. That would be great!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Truer words have never been spoken.

Speaking of fun hams, Winter Field Day starts tomorrow!! Some shots from last year:

View attachment 1595696View attachment 1595697View attachment 1595698
View attachment 1595701View attachment 1595702

This year we're just running two HF stations, CW and voice. We'll be working as K7MCE on an OCF 10m-40m for voice and CW will probably be on 20m. If you make contact, let the operator know you want to talk to Adam KF7LJH. That would be great!
I fired up all three on my CB radios today, ended up tossing both of my old K40 mag base antennae's as their match was over 3, but my fiberglass 1/4 wave stick was less than 1.5, and listened to some skip from Tennessee and New Jersey on Channel 28.
I'm pretty sure my Cobra 148 has some 10m frequencies, need to look for the frequency chart, guess I need to learn a new language. Lol
Then I gotta get a new battery for my D104 power mike and solder it in. Oh, I thought about adding a FC to the Cobra, but doubt it is worth the trouble or cost...

~doug~

Hi,

10m begins at 28.000 but is not for Phone (voice) until 28.300. From there, to 28.500, Technician Class ops can run SSB. Not really any AM used in HF Ham these days above the upper end of 40m (near to the upper Phone band edge at 7.300).

So, if you have SSB CB sets modded to run up in the 28.3-28.5 segment, you can use those once you get your Ham licence.

I'm sure you know this, but just for completeness, no transmitting in the ham bands until you have your callsign. ;)

You can listen all you'd like, of course. :)

And today and tomorrow is Winter Field Day as already mentioned. This is when we literally head out to a field and set up a temporary station for practice in case of an serious situation where we need to do so. Then we have a contact contest to make some fun out of all that work.

Stan - w2ck

Some photos from the Winter Field Day team today. 89 contacts in 31 states and most of the Canadian territories, the bands were wide open today.

I rolled the old jalopy in early, the fog stuck around all day.

1674959907730.png

The CW stations. Steve brought his magnetic loop and I was shocked at how well it worked.

1674960015350.png

Ken was killing it with his fancy magnetic Begali key

1674960070844.png

And Bob made a ton of CW contacts as well using an end fed.

1674959847903.png

Joe brought his Yeasu to run voice in the green tent again, which just does not photograph well. lol

1674960327685.png

I even made a quick video. It was a whole ton of fun today.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I didn't make any contacts today, but heard lots of skip on the 11m band. One guy was making pretty good trip from Honalulu. Couldn't find my freq chart, but found a local CB shop to check out my radio on Monday.

Hi,

I copied this off Wikipedia. It's highly probable to be correct without my having to head to my RF Lab and consult my copy of CFR 47. ;)

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 10-21-01 Citizens band radio - Wikipedia.png

There are some gaps between these Class D allocations because the Class C radio control channels are sandwiched in between the phone (voice) ones.

On CB, SSB can be either Upper or Lower at will since these are all AM allocations. No one will be crossing up on top of each other like can happen on the ham bands if the convention isn't followed.

On Ham, we run LSB below 10 MHz and USB above 10 MHz so we get more simultaneous users that way. Its left over from the early days of SSB in the 1950s when there was but one sideband generated and which side of the carrier it was one flipped when taking the transmitter across that center line between 40m (7 MHz) and 20m (14 MHz). Once we got out of the all tube era, transmitters could do either sideband at will, but the convention remained.

There are five special channels for Ham use in the 5MHz region. Those are actually Federal Use channels for interoperability between Ham and other Federal services. They all use USB as pretty much all other users of SSB on HF outside the Ham Bands use USB for all frequencies. And, this includes the US Federal users.

These days, AM tends to be used once in a while and at the upper ends of the General Phone portions of the bands. And, pretty much on 40m, 75m and 160m. AM is used the most on 160m as it's pretty easy to convert an old 1 kW AM broadcast transmitter for use on 160m. And, lots of those around surplus, especially tube transmitters which were replaced my solid state ones. Look up Gates and Harris. ;)

Stan - w2ck

Top Bottom