What's new

The Ham Shack - B&B's Amateur Radio Club

Hmmm, not sure about that. Maybe the mods have to approve any new members.

I tried to register but It wouldn't work and I believe said mods would approve or something. I got frustrated and gave up on the site. I'll try again, any suggestions?

I like it because it sends me an a mail whenever a new Pirate sighting is posted. I can also set it to alert me when a numbers station sighting is posted. Maybe try setting up a brand new account using a new username?
I think it must be because I did the forgot password about six times in a row and got no emails, nothing.

I like it because it sends me an a mail whenever a new Pirate sighting is posted. I can also set it to alert me when a numbers station sighting is posted. Maybe try setting up a brand new account using a new username
Might try that, can't see a moderator or how to email anyone. An alert would be nice .

I honestly did not think Ham was still going. Several cousins got into Ham thing in 1960’s.

My only exposure was learing to send & receive Morris Code for Scouts. Think there was Code requirement for mrrit badge?

Late in life use C/B in 18 wheeler, part of reason I am DesertIquana.🥰
Hi,

Well, I can look up a couple of stats quickly here.

In the US, 848,964 ham licenses as of Wednesday's FCC processing.

In Canada, 44,972.

I presume there are ways to get numbers from most, if not all, the other countries around the world. And, then add them all up. But, these two are probably enough to show that ham radio is still going.

I talk with a lot of truck drivers on two meters, usually on 146.52 MHz, when I'm on the road.

73 - w2ck

Stan

Speaking of Pirates, there is one active on 6950 USB as I type this (24 Nov 2023 @ 1938 UTC). He's not very strong into my QTH (NE Ohio) but he's there. According to HF Underground, they are playing an old "The Shadow" show.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hi,

Well, I can look up a couple of stats quickly here.

In the US, 848,964 ham licenses as of Wednesday's FCC processing.

In Canada, 44,972.

I presume there are ways to get numbers from most, if not all, the other countries around the world. And, then add them all up. But, these two are probably enough to show that ham radio is still going.

I talk with a lot of truck drivers on two meters, usually on 146.52 MHz, when I'm on the road.

73 - w2ck

Stan
I talked to a trucker on 2 meters years ago from my shack on 146.52.

I'm in the middle of Michigan, and he was in Indianapolis. Ducting? I was up around 25? feet on a copper pipe J-Pole. Still one of my best ham memories!

Hi,

Yes, probably ducting. I am in the Raleigh NC area and get into my old 224.10 repeater on Mt Greylock in MA during about 1 in 3 weather fronts that come along. Not something that will work on on 2m due to the far greater number of repeaters on the same channel between here and there. Would work well on simplex, though. Well enough that I monitor 146.52 in the shack on its own radio. And also 52.525 and 29.6 as well.

There are a great number of ex-fire and police radios retuned to the ham bands on 6m and 10m FM. I have done hundreds of these conversions over the years beginning in 1977. :) Not as much lately as the surplus has dropped off as most agencies are on the 800 and 900 MHz bands these days. So much so now there are surplus 900 radios to convert to that adjacent ham band.

Of the three FM bands, I hear the greatest amount of activity on 29.6 FM.

Stan

FarmerTan

Hello all! AG9AU here. Yes I have my Extra license and yes my vanity call sign refers to two shiny metals I know and love, but don't let all that fool you. I actually have very little airtime under my belt. One day I hope to be more active. Right now I'm focusing on how to shave right!
I am impressed my friend!

I need to crack the books.

I am impressed my friend!

I need to crack the books.
I used Hamtestonline in 2016 for my Tech, and again for General/Extra in 2018 (got those at the same time). I also listened to audio recordings of the test questions on repeat in my car during my daily 2 hour commute. I literally didn't have to think during the exam. I just knew the answers. So now you don't have to be impressed haha.

FarmerTan

I used Hamtestonline in 2016 for my Tech, and again for General/Extra in 2018 (got those at the same time). I also listened to audio recordings of the test questions on repeat in my car during my daily 2 hour commute. I literally didn't have to think during the exam. I just knew the answers. So now you don't have to be impressed haha.
I'm in a hurry right now, or I'd tell you a few stories.

Hi,

Welcome!

I'm looking forward to more ham time myself. That is, less professional radio time so I have more amateur radio time. ;)

I have been at this since 1976 when I took my Novice. Then to the FCC field office in 1977 to take the General written. However, 1977 also saw me garner an interest in servicing 2-way radios and so back to the field office for my 2nd Class commercial. 1979 saw me take a job with a local AM radio station and the GM said he'd double my salary if I upgraded to a 1st Class. And, so, back to the field office.

In 1981 I wound up with a job designing things which incorporated radios. And that got me a Radar Endorsement. Eventually I went back and upgraded to Amateur Extra. I had kind of skipped around that.

And I am still at that radio R&D stuff. Makes ham radio a little too much like work. Full retirement is close, though.

At least I get to spend some time a a volunteer examiner. :)

Stan - w2ck (originally wa2kqy until a few years ago)

Top Bottom