What's new

The Grip/Section of the pen

I'm just gonna flat out say it.
I don't like holding on to a metal pen.

I don't mind if the body is metal, I don't care too much about the cap material, but the part you actually hold on to (grip or sometimes just called the section) has to be something other than metal. Ebonite! Acrylic! Precious Resin! anything but metal.

Now you are going to say "but Marc, surely there has to be ONE metal pen you like?"
Ok, just one. The Vanishing Point. You got me there.

So what do you like? Does it matter? Does it influence your decisions?

I concur, and have even scuffed some cheaper pens to have better friction on the grip section so it doesn't feel like it's slipping in hand.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I don't MIND a metal pen, but I prefer the grips on my Pelikans (resin) over the Pilot Metro and Lamy Al-Star (aluminum). Still like the metals, just prefer the resin.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
My only pen with a metal section is the Kaweco Student. But that pen has a small nib, so I usually grip it higher up on the threads, so its not slippery at all.

The Pilot Metro has a metal barrel, but the section is plastic. Some people don't like the step between the barrel and the section, but I don't think it is slippery.

My only pen with a metal section is the Kaweco Student. But that pen has a small nib, so I usually grip it higher up on the threads, so its not slippery at all.

The Pilot Metro has a metal barrel, but the section is plastic. Some people don't like the step between the barrel and the section, but I don't think it is slippery.

I have two metros and have no complaints. No pens with a metal grip but I could see the potential for being slippery.

I never could get used to the old Parker T-Ball Jotter Flighter. I preferred the jotters witht he plastic bodies. I have a Parker 75 fountain pen, but cam not crazy about the grip section on that even though it's plastic. I guess I like the old Sheaffer, Pelikansand other pens with the regular (short) grip sections.

It's really a non-issue for me. The majority of my favorite pens do in fact have plastic sections, but they're not favorites for that reason. I can write just as long and comfortably with some of my pens that do have metal sections, and are in fact all metal: my Pilot MYU and Murex, and Montblanc Noblesses.

Apparently, from the comments I've seen here and on other forums, a lot of people do dislike metal sections , but I've never really understood why. Some may think they are too slick, I suppose, although they don't seem that way to me. Just one of those matters of taste that you can't really argue with.

I'm just gonna flat out say it.
I don't like holding on to a metal pen.

I don't mind if the body is metal, I don't care too much about the cap material, but the part you actually hold on to (grip or sometimes just called the section) has to be something other than metal. Ebonite! Acrylic! Precious Resin! anything but metal.

Now you are going to say "but Marc, surely there has to be ONE metal pen you like?"
Ok, just one. The Vanishing Point. You got me there.

So what do you like? Does it matter? Does it influence your decisions?
I agree 100% The Pelikans and VP's are nice. :)

For me it's just a "feel" thing. The metal is cold and unfriendly.
Probably my favourite material is ebonite.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I only require some grippies. Something to grip on to. Knurled, rubber, whatever....

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
All metal is not equal. The feel of a Sterling silver section is quite different than that of a steel section or a plated section. In addition the design and contour of the section will play a big part in the experience.

Top Bottom