What's new

The greatest soap on Earth: Tabac

I like to believe it is one of the greatest if not "the" greatest shaving soap :thumbup: Tabac was my first European soap and it is here to stay in my rotation for good! It`s usually being mentioned on a weekly basis by someone different or new to it and not being rehashed by the same group of people so it`s for sure a winner!

After a couple of months of use I've grown to like the scent and I find that the performance is alright, but ultimately, as Jim Carrey so eloquently put it in Liar Liar: "I've had better."

Am I the only one that buys Tabac for the scent alone? Tabac has an addicting flowery, smokey, musky, smell. It's a manly smell that penetrates the pours deep inside your face, and overtime you move your head sideways you feel like you stepped back into a wonderful timezone.

The lather, incredible, the consistency reminds me of Danon's yogurt.

The cost? Who cares? The puck can last for 6 months to a year.

There are many great soaps out there and the internet makes it easy for folks who live way out in the woods (like me) to have access to them, which would have been almost impossible 15-20 years ago.

While I'm not sure about "greatest", I do strongly believe it is amongst the great ones out there. It works wonderfully for me.

Am I the only one that buys Tabac for the scent alone? Tabac has an addicting flowery, smokey, musky, smell. It's a manly smell that penetrates the pours deep inside your face, and overtime you move your head sideways you feel like you stepped back into a wonderful timezone.

I like to believe it is one of the greatest if not "the" greatest shaving soap :thumbup: Tabac was my first European soap and it is here to stay in my rotation for good! It`s usually being mentioned on a weekly basis by someone different or new to it and not being rehashed by the same group of people so it`s for sure a winner!

+111

Yes, it is one of the greatest soaps out there. Combining amazing performance of lather (slickness, ease of lathering, protection, cushion), along with that amazing fragrance. Tabac has it all.

Picked up a shave stick the other day, I tried it out yesterday I gotta admit I was kind of meh about it. That being said I seem to have trouble with shave sticks I never could get Palmolive to work right. I took a knife and sliced me off a hunk and will try my normal lathering routine, as far as smell goes my cold is stopping me from judging that just yet.

After reading several posts about Tabac's scent I did an experiment with my 3 brothers that are not into traditional shaving. We are all in our early 40's to 50 years old. I told them to close their eyes and give me their opinion of the scent. I got responses such as "classic, manly, spicy, cologne, old fashioned". Then I said close your eyes again, take another whiff and visualize that you are getting something out of Mom's purse. I got three OMG's!!!

I don't know about your mom's purse but I think my mom was carrying around a sample of Tabac for 30 years.

Tabac is the best IMHO. I can always rely on it for ease of lathering, and long-lasting, cushiony and slick lather. The post-shave face-feel is excellent.

It is a permanent member of my shave team.

The fragrance? I don't mind it...to me, it smells like a great shave! :thumbup1:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
There's no doubt that for many, myself included, Tabac is a great soap. However, the real indicator of what is THE greatest soap is really about whatever works for each individual person.

.....It`s usually being mentioned on a weekly basis by someone different or new to it and not being rehashed by the same group of people so it`s for sure a winner!

Very well said.

I love Tabac and as long as it is in production I will have some in my den.

I might agree if only they would offer other scents, I don't mind the scent of Tabac but it certainly is not my favorite, and my wife can't stand it. The performance is great and I would use it more often if it smelled better. I don't think the performance is that much better than say "Le Piment de la Vie" from Catie's Bubbles, or "Mitchell's Wool Fat" or a few others I could mention that smell much better.

I am quite intrigued by what I have heard about Fine Accouterments shave soap coming out in March, he said he used Tabac as a performance target, but it will have Fine's wonderful scents! I hope they can deliver!

I don't know that I'd declare it the BEST (there are too many legitimately vying for that spot), but Tabac is ridiculously easy to lather, rich, slick, creamy, protective, and has a complex, sophisticated, old-world scent. I guess it says something that when I'm trying a new razor or blade and I want to know that everything else is in place, I reach for Tabac. So it is a sort of standard for me, indeed.

MdC has always been my favorite but none of my soaps including MdC perform better than Tabac. Its not my favorite scent but I do enjoy it. The performance is just excellent with almost any water condition. For that reason, it is always in my top 5. It is usually my go to soap the day after a not so good shave. Tabac always generates copious quality lather enough for 4 passes whether face or bowl lathering. I just love a product that consistently delivers great quality.

Top Bottom