What's new

The greatest 5 member superband ever

Inspired choices! Tom Petty on bass? Did he play bass on any of his albums? I don't recall. I do like it when guitarists play bass; they bring a different sensibility that usually sounds pretty good.

If you'll permit me a recommendation, you might also consider John Deacon from Queen. He would fit nicely in your supergroup of underappreciated musicians. I always thought Deacon was Queen's "secret ingredient". He could lay down a good groove, just serving the song and whatever antics Freddie and Brian were up to, but also rumble forward with some amazing riffs like "Another One Bites the Dust".

John Paul Jones falls into the same niche, though he HAS been getting his due over the last decade or so, as people finally come to realize the quality of his musicianship was EASILY the equal of Page. And, to be able to stand alongside Bonham as a rhythm partner? Magic.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Beatles plus Yoko Ono 🤨🤨🤨
1621000871084.png

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
John Paul Jones falls into the same niche, though he HAS been getting his due over the last decade or so, as people finally come to realize the quality of his musicianship was EASILY the equal of Page. And, to be able to stand alongside Bonham as a rhythm partner? Magic.
John Paul Jones was a highly regarded session player, which is why Jimmy Page recruited him into the band. JPJ's synth playing was pretty great too. Not virtuosic, ala Wakeman or Emmerson, but tasteful and really elevated a lot of Zep's songs.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Inspired choices! Tom Petty on bass? Did he play bass on any of his albums? I don't recall. I do like it when guitarists play bass; they bring a different sensibility that usually sounds pretty good.

If you'll permit me a recommendation, you might also consider John Deacon from Queen. He would fit nicely in your supergroup of underappreciated musicians. I always thought Deacon was Queen's "secret ingredient". He could lay down a good groove, just serving the song and whatever antics Freddie and Brian were up to, but also rumble forward with some amazing riffs like "Another One Bites the Dust".
I THINK that he played bass with the Travelling Wilburys? Or it's just another brain cog slip!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Steve Winwood just for his one man band effort on ‘Arc of a Diver.’
If you're in to "classic" country, even in the least little bit, look up Ray Kennedy. He had an album out in the very end of the 80's or the real early 90's that I THINK Hank Williams Jr co-produced. He played EVERY stringed instrument, and I think drums as well, and I believe WROTE every song. Just looked it up: "What a Way To Go" is the name of it. Not a single bad track on it.

Another greatly underestimated artist is John Fogerty (sp?) from CCR.

I'm 99 percent sure that he played nearly or every instrument on his "comeback" album that had the single "Center Field" on it.

Wish I could play more than the drums and the radio.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I THINK that he played bass with the Travelling Wilburys? Or it's just another brain cog slip!
The Wikipedia says Jeff Lynne played bass. They never toured because Roy Orbison died right after their album released, so I wonder if he would have played it live or had a sideman.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Is there an instrument JPJ can’t play?

Guitar: Steve Vai/Frank Zappa
Drums: Terry Bozzio
Keyboards: Peter Wolf/George Duke
Bass: Patrick O'Hearn
Vocals: Ray White/Ike Willis

Some names may be familiar, some not but all played on numerous recordings for Frank Zappa
and there was never a more demanding task master. They were tightest bands ever...

My female top 5...seeing as no females are on anyone's list yet

Vocals: Rachel Nagy (Detroit Cobras)
Joan Jett: Guitar/vocals (no explanation needed)
Drums: Carla Azar (drummer for Jack White on your)...sorry Meg, you were cooler but not as good a drummer.
Bass: Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth)

Seeing as you only have 5, I would add in Marnie Stern as a second guitarist.

This would probably change daily depending on my mood and what I'm listening to, but today I'd go with

Muddy Waters - Vocals/Guitar
Lemmy - Bass/Vocals
Knut Schreiner (Euroboy from Turbonegro) - Guitar
Little Walter - Harmonica
Dave Grohl - Drums

No idea how it would sound, but Muddy Waters and Little Walter were fairly influential in creating the distorted blues/rock sound so it would be cool to hear how they played with Lemmy and Knut that built upon it and took their rock and roll heavier. Plus Dave Grohl is a decent drummer but more importantly seems to be able to work with anyone and might be able to hold all of those personalities together!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Probably, but I doubt it would take him long to learn it :lol:
Very true. He was the most underestimated member of, arguably, the greatest band ever. JP and RP get all the attention, but the soul of the band was JPJ and JB.

Top Bottom