What's new

The greatest 5 member superband ever

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Determining the greatest 5 member superband would be as difficult as determining the greatest color ... however, if asked to disclose my favorite 5 member superband, I’d definitely go with YES’, Steve Howe, Alan White, Jon Anderson, Chris Squire, Rick Wakeman ... and that favorite color, well that would be emerald green.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Determining the greatest 5 member superband would be as difficult as determining the greatest color ... however, if asked to disclose my favorite 5 member superband, I’d definitely go with YES’, Steve Howe, Alan White, Jon Anderson, Chris Squire, Rick Wakeman ... and that favorite color, well that would be emerald green.
I like the way you think! But White over Bruford, huh? Hmmm:pipe:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Female guitarists? Look up Chantel McGregor. Best guitarist you've probably never heard of. Susan Tedeschi isn't bad either.

shoelessjoe

@tankerjohn ... Oops! Upon further review I am the one who has buggered things up ... if I am not mistaken (yet again!) the mid/late-‘70s YES lineup listed above coincided with my favorite YES album, Going For The One (as sacreligious as that may be).

I'll just go with The Band and call it a day.

Robertson Guitar don't let him sing
Helm drums n stuff
Danko bass n stuff
Manuel keyboards n stuff
Hudson keyboards n stuff

2nd place Roxy Music 1973

Ferry, Eno, Mackay, Wetton, Thompson.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tankerjohn

@tankerjohn ... Oops! Upon further review I am the one who has buggered things up ... if I am not mistaken (yet again!) the mid/late-‘70s YES lineup listed above coincided with my favorite YES album, Going For The One (as sacreligious as that may be).
:clap: No sacrilege necessary. A fine album! Its my favorite Yes album...with Alan White drumming. (though not my favorite album cover) You are correct about the lineup as Wakeman came back for that album between King Arthur ice-skating shows or whatever the heck else he was doing. The 70's were weird...but in a good way.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
:clap: No sacrilege necessary. A fine album! Its my favorite Yes album...with Alan White drumming. (though not my favorite album cover) You are correct about the lineup as Wakeman came back for that album between King Arthur ice-skating shows or whatever the heck else he was doing. The 70's were weird...but in a good way.
I just saw a recent(?) Yes concert on AXS TV. Wakeman was wearing a purple cope embroidered with golden thread. It looked like the Archbishop of Canterbury was on keyboards.

shoelessjoe

I just saw a recent(?) Yes concert on AXS TV. Wakeman was wearing a purple cope embroidered with golden thread. It looked like the Archbishop of Canterbury was on keyboards.

Ah yes, the overbearing Wakeman ... guaranty you he didn't learn that purple garbed, Archbishop of Cantebury impression at the Bach Conservatory :)

Good stuff, tankerjohn! And yes, more than one friend took a double-take at that Going For The One album cover ... I mean, what a terrible time to bypass Roger Dean! That guy's bum on the cover didn't quite juxtapose with Turn of The Century, Parallels nor for that matter, Awaken!

To this day, Turn of the Century remains my all-time favorite song.

I'll just go with The Band and call it a day.

Robertson Guitar don't let him sing
Helm drums n stuff
Danko bass n stuff
Manuel keyboards n stuff
Hudson keyboards n stuff

2nd place Roxy Music 1973

Ferry, Eno, Mackay, Wetton, Thompson.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Re: Robertson and letting him sing. One of my favorite albums of all time is Robbie’s solo albums ‘Storyville.’

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My personal picks for a band to play the day before my funeral:

Drums: Charlie Watts
Bass: don't really care, as I played drums in the style of Keith Moon, and he played to Roger's vocals....
Guitar: Mark Knopfler
Keyboards: Steve Winwood
Lead Vocalist/Frontman: Bono

Yes, I cheated. I have three more than competent lead singers.

I just realized I DO CARE for a Bass Player, and that man for the job is Tom Petty.
And Tom makes four vocalists!

Now I want to add another few, since the next day is my funeral, dang it all!

Reactions: Lad

tankerjohn

My personal picks for a band to play the day before my funeral:

Drums: Charlie Watts
Bass: don't really care, as I played drums in the style of Keith Moon, and he played to Roger's vocals....
Guitar: Mark Knopfler
Keyboards: Steve Winwood
Lead Vocalist/Frontman: Bono

Yes, I cheated. I have three more than competent lead singers.

I just realized I DO CARE for a Bass Player, and that man for the job is Tom Petty.
And Tom makes four vocalists!

Now I want to add another few, since the next day is my funeral, dang it all!
Inspired choices! Tom Petty on bass? Did he play bass on any of his albums? I don't recall. I do like it when guitarists play bass; they bring a different sensibility that usually sounds pretty good.

If you'll permit me a recommendation, you might also consider John Deacon from Queen. He would fit nicely in your supergroup of underappreciated musicians. I always thought Deacon was Queen's "secret ingredient". He could lay down a good groove, just serving the song and whatever antics Freddie and Brian were up to, but also rumble forward with some amazing riffs like "Another One Bites the Dust".

Top Bottom