What's new

The greatest 5 member superband ever

Lead - Robert Plant
Guitar - Jimmy Hendrix
Guitar - Slash
Bass - Les Claypool
Drums - Lars Ulrich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Les Claypool ... Yes! Do you need a lead guitar, with him there? Lol.

That's a great lineup. Though, I'm not certain Plant can shine in the kind of songs that highlight Claypools talent. On the other hand, I think Hendrix and Plant would have done well together.

Robert Plant singing 'Shake Hands With Beef'? Yikes. [emoji51]

Levon Helm, drums and vocals (sometimes mandolin)
Rick Danko, bass and vocals
Richard Manuel, piano and vocals (sometimes drums)
Robbie Robertson, guitar
Garth Hudson, keyboards

Garth Hudson, actually, every form of sax, accordian, and even trombone. On keyboards, unlike some, a master of both piano and organ, even though piano not needed given Richard Manuel. Exactly the kind of multi-instrumentalist who could have played with lots of folks and bands and contributed mightily.

As a unit this crew could have played with virtually anyone. Anyone rock and roll or Americana, I suppose. One of my favorite groups ever. Too bad Robbie Robertson seems to have turned out to be such a jerk on so many levels, I do not care how many books he writes.

Last edited:
Vocals : Freddie Mercury, Ian Gillan, Bruce Dickinson
Rhythm guitar: Tony Iommi, Brian May
Lead guitar: Brian May, Angus Young, Mark Knopfler, Gary Moore
Bass: Cliff Burton, Steve Harris
Drums: Cozy Powell
Keyboard: Jon Lord

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Les Claypool ... Yes! Do you need a lead guitar, with him there? Lol.

That's a great lineup. Though, I'm not certain Plant can shine in the kind of songs that highlight Claypools talent. On the other hand, I think Hendrix and Plant would have done well together.

Robert Plant singing 'Shake Hands With Beef'? Yikes. [emoji51]
Jerry was a race car driver

What about a band made up of some of the best of the US and British session musicians? Hal Blaine on drums, maybe. Or Bernard Purdie. James Jamerson, bass. (One could argue for Carol Kaye, but I will not. I think she remembers being on cuts she never was.) Or Pino Palladino. Glen Campbell, guitar, or Jimmy Page. John Paul Jones, multi-instrumentals. Darlene Love or Merry Clayton vocals. Or Michael McDonald.

I do not think he has done much session work, but I am surprised Paul Rodgers has not come up as a proposed vocalist. For that matter, Paul Young another not session guy, might be a pick for vocalist.

I know I am leaving off all of Nashville's session people, which is unintentional. Also, Muscle Shoals and Stax.

My female top 5...seeing as no females are on anyone's list yet

Vocals: Rachel Nagy (Detroit Cobras)
Joan Jett: Guitar/vocals (no explanation needed)
Drums: Carla Azar (drummer for Jack White on your)...sorry Meg, you were cooler but not as good a drummer.
Bass: Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth)
So, continuing this sub-theme....

Polly Jean Harvey: Vocals/Guitar
St. Vincent: Vocals/Guitar
Paz Lenchantin: Bass/Vocals
Janet Weiss: Drums

Bumping this thread because it sounds fun...

-- Nina Simone (vocals, piano, overall musical direction)
-- Ry Cooder (guitar, other instruments as needed)
-- Duane Allman (guitar -- think more of his session work, e.g. with Aretha Franklin)
-- John Bonham (drums -- can see him meshing well with Nina somehow, has unrecognized jazz chops)
-- Victor Wooten (bass -- he wasn't contemporary with the rest, but I'd love to see it)

Alternatively:
-- Prince. Just Prince (all instruments, vocals). We were lucky enough to actually see that one. I agree with a previous comment that he'd probably overshadow any group he was a part of.

Last edited:
Looking at some of the earlier posts, if the band needs a front man, it has to be Freddie Mercury. As others have mentioned, to have stolen the show at Live Aid, up against all the other megastars that day, to be still talking about it nearly 40 years on...

How about Rush, plus Freddie on vocals and Pete Townshend for more guitar.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Jon Anderson on vocals
Steve Howe on guitar
Chris Squire on bass
Bill Bruford on drums
Rick Wakeman on keys

Okay, I know that schtick was done earlier in the thread with some other great bands. But really, each of those guys were virtuosos in their own right and made some incredible music together that we don't have to speculate about. Just put on the headphones and enjoy!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
-- Prince. Just Prince (all instruments, vocals). We were lucky enough to actually see that one. I agree with a previous comment that he'd probably overshadow any group he was a part of.
Hmm, that's probably the right answer. Actually, you can see it in that legendary Rock n Roll Hall of Fame performance of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." He's on stage with the veritable Who's Who of living guitarists and absolutely stole the show.

I am a hard rock, heavy metal guy, and you can throw in dashes of blues, punk, reggae and old country too.

I went to see Prince on the Purple Rain Tour, because it was the only way my best friend's sister and her friend (who my friend was hot for) would be allowed to go to the show. They bought our tickets. I have always maintained that no one ever asked for their money back after a KISS concert, but let me tell you this. If you asked me to pick ANY musician living or dead, that I could see live in their prime, I would want to sit front row on the floor for PRINCE.

He. Was. That. Darn. Good.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
Great thread - 2 choices
gone
vocals: Freddie
guitar: Duane
bass: Jack Bruce
drummer: Ginger
keys: Little Richard

around
vocals: PInk
guitar: Peter Frampton
bass: Stanley Sheldon
drummer: Dave Grohl
keys: Elton John

Having posted these 2 groups, I'd have Santana's percussion section and Muscle Shoals rhythm, maybe adding Steve Cropper.
The amount of dead and live talent is plenty. Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Moon, Aretha, Ella, Billie Holiday...there must be a rockin' gig up in heaven.

Top Bottom