What's new

The greatest 5 member superband ever

Hendrix played with a lot of different folks coming up, in secondary roles. His style is very much founded in blues and other standard African American forms. Whether in later years he would want to dominate, I do not know. A different issue. He worked with various folks on Ladyland. He played with Buddy Miles, although there was some friction. I do not see Hendrix as needing to be dictatorial.

Prince is a problem, methinks.

Peart was fantastic, but personally i would always have him a notch below Bonham and Moon in terms of talent, although he had a longer career and assume he trashed fewer hotel rooms ( maybe? ).

Speaking of great drummers , Ian Paice deserves a mention too. Criminally underrated despite being a key component of Deep Purple’s big sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Chemistry
I think that is something to consider
Can you imagine Pink Floyd with Jeff Beck as the guitar player in place of David Gillmore or The Beatles with Clapton instead of George ?
Or how about Hendrix with the Who
Think of all the great music that we would have missed out on.

<The Beatles with Clapton instead of George >

Absolutely. By some accounts it almost happened. It would have been good for both the Beatles and Clapton, but I think Clapton had had enough of infighting musical groups and I have no idea whether he would have gotten along with Paul on an ongoing basis.

<Pink Floyd with Jeff Beck as the guitar player in place of David Gillmore >

Not sure. I would like to have seen Jeff Beck with lots of folks.

<Or how about Hendrix with the Who>

Instead of Townsend? I think, no. Along with Townsend, I think so. What if Townsend had had fantastic different other musicians he could work with and essentially write for? Do not get me wrong, I love the Who and Townsend as a guitarist and keyboard person. But what if he had folks to work with who were beyond him on guitar and keyboards? It would have been interesting to know whether Keith Moon could have drummed for any other group, though. Again, my favorite drummer, ever.

I would like to have seen Hendrix play with more top musicians of various styles. It seems to me that Mitch Mitchell was the only drummer Hendrix played with Hendrix made great music with. Noel Redding and Billy Cox were decent bass players, Noel probably underrated. What if Hendrix had played with a truly great bass player, or keyboardist. (I think Steve Winwood was on some of Electric Ladyland. (Jack Bruce famously could not keep up with Hendrix on that album so Hendrix himself played bass.)

Slash is an interesting thought. Actually Axl Rose as difficult as he is is a heck of a vocalist. Unique voice and great range.

Joe Perry is another interesting thought. Richard Thompson for that matter. And, to me, as always, Roy Buchanan.

<Or how about Hendrix with the Who>

Instead of Townsend? I think, no. Along with Townsend, I think so. What if Townsend had had fantastic different other musicians he could work with and essentially write for? Do not get me wrong, I love the Who and Townsend as a guitarist and keyboard person. But what if he had folks to work with who were beyond him on guitar and keyboards? It would have been interesting to know whether Keith Moon could have drummed for any other group, though. Again, my favorite drummer, ever.

The Who is my favorite band and I agree that is definitely one band where the whole is far greater than the sum of the parts. Except Moon, they've all had some solo success, but together they make a very special noise.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1583458684248.png

Chemistry
I think that is something to consider
Can you imagine Pink Floyd with Jeff Beck as the guitar player in place of David Gillmore or The Beatles with Clapton instead of George ?
Or how about Hendrix with the Who
Think of all the great music that we would have missed out on.
6273df5be2804c7ce71683ea534839b3.jpg

The Who is my favorite band and I agree that is definitely one band where the whole is far greater than the sum of the parts. Except Moon, they've all had some solo success, but together they make a very special noise.

Mine too. I've seen Roger & Pete (as The Who back in early 2000s with Zach on drums and Simon on Bass). They did a great job, but they weren't "The Who" to me....but as close as I'll ever get to it. I must admit though, I did get chills when Zach started pounding at the end of "Won't Get Fooled Again".

The Who ended when Moon passed and if I'm honest, I wish they would have hung it up and just did solo work. I don't care much much post-Moon era.

I also got to see John Entwistle play with Ringo Starr's All Star Band back in the 90s I think....but I would have loved to seen them back in their hayday.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
View attachment 1072271

Mine too. I've seen Roger & Pete (as The Who back in early 2000s with Zach on drums and Simon on Bass). They did a great job, but they weren't "The Who" to me....but as close as I'll ever get to it. I must admit though, I did get chills when Zach started pounding at the end of "Won't Get Fooled Again".

The Who ended when Moon passed and if I'm honest, I wish they would have hung it up and just did solo work. I don't care much much post-Moon era.

I also got to see John Entwistle play with Ringo Starr's All Star Band back in the 90s I think....but I would have loved to seen them back in their hayday.
I didn’t realize that Pete was from Nose City. Blessed are the cheese makers

Vocals: Mike Scheidt
Lead Guitar: Dimebag Darrel
Rhythm Guitar: Ben Hutcherson
Bass: Rex Brown
Drums: Jimmy Bower

They’re gonna tune low and play slow except for the break where Dime is gonna bust the sickest leads.

Top Bottom