Who do you think describe to be there?

Here’s mine :

Freddie Mercury - Vocals
Guitars - Jimmy Page
Guitars - Jimi Hendrix
Bass - Paul McCartney
Keith Moon - Drums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off the top of my head, keeping within a style sort of and thinking live performances to some extent, too:

Hendrix lead guitar
James Jamerson bass
Ann Wilson vocals (or maybe Bettye LaVette, something different than the usual male choices here, or maybe Marvin Gaye)
John Bonham drums (Keith Moon is my favorite drummer, but I do not think he fits with most bands)
Brian Jones before he fell apart as multi-instrumentalist, "colorist" as Mick Jagger put it (or maybe someone like Paul Butterfield on harp)

Maybe throw Billy Strings in there on vocals and guitar. I think he could play with Hendrix, and sing any genre.

Going for a hard rock, if not outright heavy metal, vibe.

Neil Peart - Percussion (calling him a drummer is so limiting).
Geoff Tate - Vocals
Tom Morello - Guitars
Jimmy Page - Guitars
Steve Harris - Bass

With both Peart AND Harris, the songwriting would be phenomenal. Harris also is a fairly under-rated bassist who would provide a very nice complement to Peart in forming the back beat which allows the guitars to flourish. Tate's vocal range was immense and his control was incredible. Only alternative would have to be Freddie Mercury, but I am a Queensryche fan.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1583101438144.png

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
5 musicians ( or less )
Divide them however you want.

Who do you think describe to be there?

Here’s mine :

Freddie Mercury - Vocals
Guitars - Jimmy Page
Guitars - Jimi Hendrix
Bass - Paul McCartney
Keith Moon - Drums

I would put John Paul Jones or Geddy Lee (as long as they keep the microphone away from his mouth) on bass.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Neil Peart, percussion.

Don Roesner and Eric Bloom, guitars (BOC)

Lexxi Foxx (Steel Panther) on bass.

Might bring Geddy Lee or Allen Lanier in here for the rest ...

AA

Some very cool musicians here! Thankyou people.

Although i must say, i am quite surprised to see only myself picking Freddie.

Do you go guys not rate him that high, or simply feel he won’t suit the dynamic of the band you’ve assembled?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Do you go guys not rate him that high, or simply feel he won’t suit the dynamic of the band you’ve assembled?

When it comes to voices, Freddie Mercury is 1a and Roy Orbison is 1b, IMO

My female top 5...seeing as no females are on anyone's list yet

Vocals: Rachel Nagy (Detroit Cobras)
Joan Jett: Guitar/vocals (no explanation needed)
Drums: Carla Azar (drummer for Jack White on your)...sorry Meg, you were cooler but not as good a drummer.
Bass: Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth)

I will always refer to him as the greatest frontman in rock and roll. Queen's set during Live Aid was a tour de force in how to engage and manipulate a crowd. Robert Plant is a distant second, imo. that said, I was going for a hard rock/heavy metal vibe, and that just is not Freddie.

[/QUOTE]

I rate him high, for sure. In some ways too obvious a choice! Probably a reasonable fit for my line up.

For this exercise I was trying to think which superstar musicians I would really like to see with bands other than there usual mates. Bassists stand out for some reason: Entwhistle, James Jamerson, Jack Casady, McCartney (maybe).

I would have liked to hear John Bonham play with some other people. Peart, too. I am just not sure Keith Moon would fit in with many other players.

I would like to have heard Duane Allman play with some other folks. He was so good with Clapton. The guitar player I would really like to have heard with others is Roy Buchanan. Too any good guitar players to count. I would like to have heard Hendrix with a variety of players in various genres.

John Paul Jones and Nicky Hopkins are good picks, but they each did play with many others.

Lots of great vocalists. Plant, Daltrey, Steve Perry (maybe). I think I would have liked to see Janis Joplin sing with players as good as she was in a genre similar to Big Brother. I think I would like to see more of the great female vocalists singing with great players. Steve Marriot is an obvious pick for vocalist.

On some level, I would like to have seen Prince play with others, but he seemed to take over everything when he did!

Steve Winwod seems like an obvious choice.

With respect to your Keith Moon comments . . . I think Hendrix and Prince are two more who fit that category. Awesome talents, but who really do not "fit" into other people's arrangements, either structurally or musically. Almost like their gifts require a dictatorial mindset for them to flourish.

Top Bottom