What's new

The Great Southern Land (Australia)

Thanks for posting this - I thought I was going mad. I saw the ad the other night a couple of times. The first I was making tea and The GF wasn't paying attention and the second I was enjoying a scotch and reading a book. I'd more or less convinced myself I had imagined the whole thing.

Don't underestimate the Chinese. They have invented whole new ways of making things badly.

Got to note however all the watches are quartz. Most of the originals were mechanical / auto .

You can get vintage or we'll made mechanical copies of many of the watches for sub $100

Legion

Staff member
Got to note however all the watches are quartz. Most of the originals were mechanical / auto .

You can get vintage or we'll made mechanical copies of many of the watches for sub $100

You can. I actually have a fairly nice, and quite accurate Chinese "flieger" style mechanical watch, which I bought for about $80, and honestly, I would have paid five times that had I known what a decent watch it is.

This isn't that. But it was $8, magazine included. I would put it on par with the Mickey Mouse watch I bought as a souvenir from Disney Land, and probably has the same quartz movement. But that thing cost me $20US, plus tax!

Like I say, it looks OK, probably keeps good time, would be good for the kids, or if you want a knock around watch that you don't have to worry about. I'll probably buy more of the collection to use as stocking stuffers for relatives kids at Christmas time.

Last edited:
Guys, I just wanted to see if it is appropriate to mention an Australian online vendor who sent out a freebie to their members at the end of the financial year?

I feel like it would be nice to acknowledge my thanks publicly and let others know of this business who seem to look after their clients.

I don't believe they are sponsors here (they haven't been mentioned once on this site), I also have no affiliation with them other than being a customer.

I don't see why not. Other vendors are frequently mentioned regarding their good service, but perhaps that is allowed because they have vendor status. I guess the only way to be sure is to consult the forum rule book.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Guys, I just wanted to see if it is appropriate to mention an Australian online vendor who sent out a freebie to their members at the end of the financial year?

I feel like it would be nice to acknowledge my thanks publicly and let others know of this business who seem to look after their clients.

I don't believe they are sponsors here (they haven't been mentioned once on this site), I also have no affiliation with them other than being a customer.

Sure, start a thread and mentioned what happened in the shopping and deals. You can always provide the link in here to where we can find that review.

My mate and I went out hunting this arvo. I picked up a Fat Handle Tech for $2. My buddy picked up a Red Flare Tip for $5.

We also saw quite a few Valets, Gems, a Fatboy, a few other techs and even a single ring.

There's definitely some good stuff to be had in the antique shops of Oz!

My mate and I went out hunting this arvo. I picked up a Fat Handle Tech for $2. My buddy picked up a Red Flare Tip for $5.

We also saw quite a few Valets, Gems, a Fatboy, a few other techs and even a single ring.

There's definitely some good stuff to be had in the antique shops of Oz!

Where were you hunting? I think I've looked in all of the big antique stores in Brisbane and most of the smaller ones on the north side and found nothing reasonable.

I think I saw a Rolls in bad condition and a terrible Tech that they wanted $50 for...

Where were you hunting? I think I've looked in all of the big antique stores in Brisbane and most of the smaller ones on the north side and found nothing reasonable.

I think I saw a Rolls in bad condition and a terrible Tech that they wanted $50 for...

Just in antique stores and 'bric-a-brac' stores. Sometimes you get nothing, sometimes you get lucky. Thankfully, pretty much all the store owners know nothing about the value of these things.

I scored a $10 G2 Fatboy whilst out hunting today. Not too shabby. Not too shabby at all. She's cleaned up a little since this photo was taken.

Also saw ~10 straights. Two were decent. Also the usual Gems.

Tried the local church shop ��. No luck.. Anyone had any luck at the salvos? It's a lucky dip. One thing fir sure will be dropping my head into every antique store I see to deal with my latest addiction lol

I found a truly banged up open comb TTO Gillette at the Salvos for $50. It was completely unusable so it's probably still there.

It's definitely worth looking in these types of shops.

Legion

Staff member
I got told by a lady in a thrift shop once (Salvos, Vinnies?) that they are not supposed to sell razors, for hygiene reasons? Probably throw them all in the bin. :bored:

I have seen some vintage travel kits before.

Good Morning All!

It's been some time since I've been on here. My supplies have dwindled substantially and after a European holiday and visit to Santa Maria Novella Farmacia in Florenze, I have rekindled my love of this hobby! My question is, Does anyone know any local stockists of Santa Maria?

Top Bottom