What's new

The Great Rigid Blade Experiment

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Wow... thank you so much for the explanation. That's one heck of a write up... very interesting. It looks like I will have to get that Fatip now ;)

The part where you explained it with the suspension. Made perfect sense... its probably why I get a more comfortable shave... and its interesting that there are differences between the LC razors... but not the SC. I guess its luck of the draw what you get on an LC... that would explain why my Canadian LC shaves me just a touch better than the US made one... Its all starting to make more sense now!!! Brilliant!!:) Thank you so much for taking the time and explaining it...

I agree with the PAA OCSlant... thats a lot of blade edge showing.. and that it flexes makes sense. One of the guys that has that razor has actually mentioned that with some of the thinner blades it can throw a wrinkle/curve into the blade. He went for a different blade (probably thicker stock) and it didn't throw the wrinkle. Just to verify he went back to the first blade... did it again. So it goes to show that the slant is the solution to the rigidity issue. It depends on the design of the razor. I wonder if there is a sticky to list the razors according to rigidity... would be interesting.

Thank you again!!! It was extremely helpful!!!

PS: was that the MK1 or MK2 Fatip used??

You're welcome! I'm always glad to help anyone with a desire to learn and understand, much the same as I was and the education I've received via this forum has helped me and my shaves immensely.

Mine, as well as all current versions on the market I believe are Mk2 models.

Since a these razors came up in conversation, and I happen to own them all, I figured I would post some pics to compare the gap and exposure.

In order- PAA BOCS, Fatip piccolo (mk2), and RR Old Type:

IMG_20171028_151604867.jpg
IMG_20171028_151356835.jpg
IMG_20171028_151506151.jpg

And here is a top shot of the paa bocs to show the exposure:

IMG_20171028_151638072.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Since a these razors came up in conversation, and I happen to own them all, I figured I would post some pics to compare the gap and exposure.

View attachment 833001 View attachment 833002 View attachment 833003

View attachment 833004

Looking at the RR Old type, I can see how that blade edge may have more wiggle to it than the same edge on the Piccolo. I'd hazard a guess, you can feel that difference in shaving with both as well.

Glad to hear you like the Piccolo, they really are nice shavers and feel nothing like their reputation speaks of them.

lol.
Yea... He did the same thing to me in another thread haha. The good news is I LOVE my new mk2 fatip piccolo
.. always these enablers :D

But I've been eyeballing the Fatip for a while anyway. With the head change making it a more manageable shaver... I now have no excuse NOT to get one. ;)

View attachment 833001 View attachment 833002 View attachment 833003

View attachment 833004

Wonderful pictures!! That blade sticks out a lot on the PAA...wow... I can see how that would flex. I do have the RR Old Type... a rather mild shaver. And works a treat with a sharp blade. Namely the Wilkinson Sword Classic and the Gillette 7 O'clock Yellows. Looking at the Fatip... that blade is extremely tucked in. I can see how well that's held in place.

Looking at the RR Old type, I can see how that blade edge may have more wiggle to it than the same edge on the Piccolo. I'd hazard a guess, you can feel that difference in shaving with both as well.

Glad to hear you like the Piccolo, they really are nice shavers and feel nothing like their reputation speaks of them.

The shave on the RR is really dependent on the blade used... guess that's the reason why. Depending on if its a "stiffer" blade or not the shave could go both ways. Interesting.

I wonder how the OP is getting on with his test... that would be an interesting thing to try in that RR Old Type. Especially how wide of a shim is used and if placed on top or under the blade. Thanks guys... this is really great reading!!

The fatip has a much wider range of "effective angles" meaning you can adjust the... Depth? Of you angle (shallow vs steep) to help dial in the agressiveness of your shave. With the RR old type you've basically got two options, cut or don't cut. If your angle is perfect it shaves... If you angle is even the slightest bit too steep or two shallow it wipes lather away without the blade even touching your skin.

Wonderful pictures!! That blade sticks out a lot on the PAA...wow... I can see how that would flex. I do have the RR Old Type... a rather mild shaver. And works a treat with a sharp blade. Namely the Wilkinson Sword Classic and the Gillette 7 O'clock Yellows. Looking at the Fatip... that blade is extremely tucked in. I can see how well that's held in place.

The shave on the RR is really dependent on the blade used... guess that's the reason why. Depending on if its a "stiffer" blade or not the shave could go both ways. Interesting.

I wonder how the OP is getting on with his test... that would be an interesting thing to try in that RR Old Type. Especially how wide of a shim is used and if placed on top or under the blade. Thanks guys... this is really great reading!!

The weird part with the paa bocs is every time I use it it feels like I'm getting a poor shave, one of those "wow, my alcohol splash is going to suck" kinda shaves however that rarely is the final result.

I learned a cool trick that I can only do with the paa bocs due to it's massive blade exposure: I always have a heck of a time getting the last few stray hairs of off my rather pronounced Adam's apple even with stretching to the sides, bullfrog, j hooks... anything. With the paa bocs I can line up the blade in the atg position in relation to those few hairs and almost "scoop" them right off. Almost like a gentle flick motion or an extreme example, popping a bottle cap.

Last edited:
The fatip has a much wider range of "effective angles" meaning you can adjust the... Depth? Of you angle (shallow vs steep) to help dial in the agressiveness of your shave. With the RR old type you've basically got two options, cut or don't cut. If your angle is perfect it shaves... If you angle is even the slightest bit too steep or two shallow it wipes lather away without the blade even touching your skin.

The weird part with the paa bocs is every time I use it it feels like I'm getting a poor shave, one of those "wow, my alcohol splash is going to suck" kinda shaves however that rarely is the final result.

I learned a cool trick that I can only do with the paa bocs due to it's massive blade exposure: I always have a heck of a time getting the last few stray hairs of off my rather pronounced Adam's apple even with stretching to the sides, bullfrog, j hooks... anything. With the paa bocs I can line up the blade in the atg position in relation to those few hairs and almost "scoop" them right off. Almost like a gentle flick motion or an extreme example, popping a bottle cap.

With the RR I had a heck of a time figuring out the right angle... finally during the OCtober 2016 I used it exclusively for 21 days... and figured it out somewhere during that time. I have found it likes more cap... similar to the original Old Type.

That sounds like an interesting technique... since I have a similar trouble spot to deal with where I just can't seem to get that last bit of stubble, I might have to try it out by getting that PAA (the list is getting longer....:rolleyes:)

With the RR I had a heck of a time figuring out the right angle... finally during the OCtober 2016 I used it exclusively for 21 days... and figured it out somewhere during that time. I have found it likes more cap... similar to the original Old Type.

That sounds like an interesting technique... since I have a similar trouble spot to deal with where I just can't seem to get that last bit of stubble, I might have to try it out by getting that PAA (the list is getting longer....:rolleyes:)

The list may be getting longer but the good news is between the fatip and the paa you are looking at tops $50 total with shipping for two razors that will quickly sell for most of your purchase price on BST should you not like one or both.

Shave #4 without shim - once again a two day growth.

This is the fourth and final shave for this Personna Blue. All other factors for this shave remained exactly the same as the first three shaves.

The big surprise. Today was a fantastic shave. Very smooth, no irritation or weepers, close to BBS. I have no idea what the hell is going on here. However, I will say that right now, five hours after my shave, my face is feeling not as smooth as it should with a close to BBS shave. I cannot explain this. I could make some guesses, but that's all they would be - guesses.

I will continue with the experiment for one more set of four shaves on one blade. To try and make things as even and equal as possible, I will begin the next set with the first shave without the shim.

Side note: On Saturday (yesterday) I ordered a Fatip Grande in nickel plating. Aside from today's puzzlement, I am still inclined to think there is something to this rigid blade thing. It has also been almost a year since I've purchased a razor. I think $27 plus change to my door is worth the trial considering all the positive reviews. The difficult thing will be waiting until the present experiment is over before I try the Fatip! I hope you all appreciate the emotional sacrifice I'm making for all of you in the interest of scientific exploration.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I hope you all appreciate the emotional sacrifice I'm making for all of you in the interest of scientific exploration.

You have my sympathies lol.

Once you get the Grande, shave only with it for a week or better yet, two weeks, then go back and see how you like it.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I think $27 plus change to my door is worth the trial considering all the positive reviews.

I forgot to reply to this part.

By the time my Grande got to my door I believe it was just over $38CAD. Now that I've gotten use to it, compared it to my other top razors, NEW SC and Gillette Regent, I would have been just as happy if it cost me twice what I paid.

I used my NEW SC yesterday for the first time since I got my Grande. I still like it, it still shaves me very well but its a more mindless shave now. I dont need to watch the angle or anything nearly as closely now that I've gotten use to my Grande.

Yesterdays shave took me the equal of my usual 2 1/2 passes with that razor, but was done with all passes ATG from start to finish.

The Grande does the same job but it does it twice as quickly, with half the passes and the BBS finish lasts twice as long because it shaves me closer.

I have developed a new appreciation for my NEW SC however. It is a mild razor in comparison and I would now think nothing of shaving with it in the shower without a mirror, and I shave quickly. Not sure I'd say the same of the Grande, yet anyway.

I forgot to reply to this part.

By the time my Grande got to my door I believe it was just over $38CAD. Now that I've gotten use to it, compared it to my other top razors, NEW SC and Gillette Regent, I would have been just as happy if it cost me twice what I paid.

I used my NEW SC yesterday for the first time since I got my Grande. I still like it, it still shaves me very well but its a more mindless shave now. I dont need to watch the angle or anything nearly as closely now that I've gotten use to my Grande.

Yesterdays shave took me the equal of my usual 2 1/2 passes with that razor, but was done with all passes ATG from start to finish.

The Grande does the same job but it does it twice as quickly, with half the passes and the BBS finish lasts twice as long because it shaves me closer.

I have developed a new appreciation for my NEW SC however. It is a mild razor in comparison and I would now think nothing of shaving with it in the shower without a mirror, and I shave quickly. Not sure I'd say the same of the Grande, yet anyway.

I'm thinking I could get a NEW SC and a Tech post war NDC. Along with my Fatip I would have three distinct levels of "aggessiveness", much like the plates on my Rockwell provide. Say, it's just crazy enough to work! Of course the problem would be to find the New SC. They are not so easy...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm thinking I could get a NEW SC and a Tech post war NDC. Along with my Fatip I would have three distinct levels of "aggessiveness", much like the plates on my Rockwell provide. Say, it's just crazy enough to work! Of course the problem would be to find the New SC. They are not so easy...

Not easy no, I've seen NEW LC razors at roughly 20:1 to NEW SC's, but they are out there and under the $50 mark for a nice specimen.

With all three you would easily have all the bases covered and all three are really excellent razors.

Today would be the day scheduled for Shave #4 with a fresh blade. However I'm going to have to put this little experiment on hold for a bit.

I unexpectedly received my Fatip Grande in the mail first thing this morning. I just ordered it on Saturday! From Michigan to central Maine in 3 days with just USPS first class. I wasn't expecting it until Friday or Saturday.

Anyway, there is no way I can let my new razor sit there for another week while I mess around shims and no shims. The new toy calls!

I just finished my first shave with the Fatip. All factors are exactly as my previous shaves in this thread: Two day growth, same prep, blade (fresh Personna Blue), etc. The best, closest shave I've had in a very long time. Some weepers due to carelessness, gone by cleanup. The razor is so smooth, you can be lulled into carelessness. I won't go into any more detail in this thread. I'll write a separate review. I'm very, very happy with this razor so far.

I will go through my usual four-shaves-on-a-blade thing with the Fatip, then I will return to the experiment for another round with the Rockwell.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The best, closest shave I've had in a very long time. Some weepers due to carelessness, gone by cleanup. The razor is so smooth, you can be lulled into carelessness.

Your technique does needs to be very good to get the most from them, but once it is and you've found the angle that works best for you, I'm really not sure a better shave is possible. I dont believe any razor to be more effective, efficient and as smooth as the Fatip family.

The list may be getting longer but the good news is between the fatip and the paa you are looking at tops $50 total with shipping for two razors that will quickly sell for most of your purchase price on BST should you not like one or both.

Lol... you have a point.. that doesn't make it easier in explaining to the wife why I need another two razors. Besides the ones she has already agreed too. :p

Not easy no, I've seen NEW LC razors at roughly 20:1 to NEW SC's, but they are out there and under the $50 mark for a nice specimen.

With all three you would easily have all the bases covered and all three are really excellent razors.

You really need to keep your eyes peeled!! I got mine 3 weeks ago or so for $10!!! No case and a BallEnd Tech handle but its a NEW SC alright!!

Top Bottom