What's new

The Great Louisiana Flood of 2016

Glad things are going good and you are almost there. But X-mas lights already!?!?! :lol: Seriously though, I understand why you did it and it is a great gesture.

Probably a little late at this point, but for paint, I used Behr marquee. It is an all in one-one coat paint. Worked on new drywall, over old paint, and over brick in my house. A little more expensive a gallon, but no primer and no 2nd coat, so to me it was definitely worth it.

I got a bit further on my DIY project. Still have to finish polishing the countertop and get it installed, and do the ceiling and trim, but the floor and walls are done and cabinets are 90% done. Waiting on a few drawer slides yet. Using all soft close hinges and slides, so I can't just run to the store and grab them. Here's a couple shots I took tonight.

Oh, and if you want I'll trade you. I will come finish painting for you if you want to do the roughly 12hrs of counter polishing I need to do. :w00t:

Looks great Shawn! If I wasn't so far along in the painting I might take you up on the offer!. Thanks for the paint info. I will make sure I tuck that away for a later project. Because there will be a later project!

I end up in Western PA every couple of years...my wife's family lives there. Next time I'm up maybe we can meet in the middle and have a cup of coffee.

Looks great Shawn! If I wasn't so far along in the painting I might take you up on the offer!. Thanks for the paint info. I will make sure I tuck that away for a later project. Because there will be a later project!

I end up in Western PA every couple of years...my wife's family lives there. Next time I'm up maybe we can meet in the middle and have a cup of coffee.

I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but am definitely looking forward to that opportunity! :thumbup:

I realized that my posts to this thread are becoming more and more infrequent. I initially thought that it was because I have been so busy with the house, and I have. But I realized this morning that most of the work isn't actually on the house. Don't get me wrong...I am STILL painting (hopefully done with that today), but the work I am doing is emptying boxes, cleaning up things before we put them back in place. Unloading, putting together, cleaning...these are the things that I have been busy with. Then our contractor came by yesterday and picked up some extra trim that was lying around. We talked for a few minutes and I gave him his last check (ouch that kind of hurt...I have never written one check for so much in my life). We said some pleasantries and he left. I know it seems odd, but we had a really great experience with our contractor (as good of an experience as you can have during an event like I went through)...if we needed something different done, his subs did it...whenever something wasn't done correctly, he had someone do it...whenever a door needed to be changed...he did it. The work was done well and his crew was, for the most part, courteous and clean. This is going to sound strange, but watching him leave felt like a friend was moving away. I was a bit sad to see him go. But all in all, the things that I am doing right now are not things you do to build a house, but they are things you do when you move into a house. Basically what I am saying is that I am nearing the end of this endeavor. There will be landscaping to do in the spring and still more cleaning to do for a while. But we are getting there.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I painted a bedroom and bathroom once. ONCE. Never again. There's way more to it than slapping paint on the walls. It's great to hear everything is moving along for you.

And for those that don't know...Don is featured on the latest episode of our podcast! Episode 17, take a look here to learn how to listen to it: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-amp-Blade-Podcast-Is-Live!?highlight=podcast

He's quite the talker :lol:

I'm eagerly awaiting part 2!

I was going through some boxes yesterday and I found these guys hiding out! Looks like someone saved them from going into the debris pile. I have some cleaning up to do and certainly some sanitizing. But all in all I am very happy. The Slim seems to have a bent bar so eventually I will need that reworked...but I am super stoked!

$Saved Razors.jpg

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I was going through some boxes yesterday and I found these guys hiding out! Looks like someone saved them from going into the debris pile. I have some cleaning up to do and certainly some sanitizing. But all in all I am very happy. The Slim seems to have a bent bar so eventually I will need that reworked...but I am super stoked!

View attachment 707007
Wonderful suprise! It looks like they found their new owner!

You guys are too funny. :001_smile When the house got flooded I went to the closet where all my shaving stuff was the shelf had collapsed. Water got in the some of the soaps and aftershaves and I just assumed everything got pitched. It turns out that my wife or someone else that knew of my affinity for shaving must have saved them instead of throwing them away.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
You guys are too funny. :001_smile When the house got flooded I went to the closet where all my shaving stuff was the shelf had collapsed. Water got in the some of the soaps and aftershaves and I just assumed everything got pitched. It turns out that my wife or someone else that knew of my affinity for shaving must have saved them instead of throwing them away.
Oh, so they were yours to begin with! I'm with you now, nice save on their part.

Oh, so they were yours to begin with! I'm with you now, nice save on their part.

Yeah they were mine to begin with, but that is an interesting picture. I can see my wife picking through other debris piles looking for shaving gear. That would be a funny sight.

Haven't been on in awhile and just came across this thread. Don, my heart goes out to ya'll in Denham Springs. I live in Youngsville, and while the town was hit really hard, our house (very) narrowly escaped getting water damage. Glad you've been reunited with those sweet vintage razors!

Haven't been on in awhile and just came across this thread. Don, my heart goes out to ya'll in Denham Springs. I live in Youngsville, and while the town was hit really hard, our house (very) narrowly escaped getting water damage. Glad you've been reunited with those sweet vintage razors!
[MENTION=85497]yamaha0343[/MENTION] I am very happy that you and your family are doing well. I know the Lafayette area was hit pretty hard also. I have several family members that had water halfway up their foundation and also very narrowly escaped. Thanks for the kind words.

Top Bottom