What's new

The Great Footwear Purge of 2021 (… and 2022)… An Essay

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
One out, One in. The addition by subtraction continues.

Today, after the exit of the Rod Laver tennis sneakers, the Classic 550 in Walnut arrived from Blundstone.

First… The Packaging.

6A264C55-5A10-4428-AFC0-7237DACA4E2C.jpeg

This is the second pair after I returned the first pair for a better fit. I started with 10.5 but went up to 11.5 (the half size translates to a wider, not longer, fit. The size on the box reflects the Australian size
FCF7126F-EF9F-48AF-B4B6-D8C9F60A10E3.jpeg

Inside the box…

3D8A098C-B18B-4DEB-9A31-ABDB9D81C166.jpeg
6C967313-FD51-4642-B319-F6BEBAAE0800.jpeg

352B972F-5B88-4480-AFEB-6E9A8B6EE45E.jpeg

Next…

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Fit…

I started out with a 10.5 and sized up to 11.5. According to Blundstone, the half sizes provide for a wider boot. My big toe was resting against the front of the boot (while wearing a fairly thick sock) and the width felt right.

So sizing up to 11.5 would essentially take care of the length of the boot while the width would remain the same by ordering it in the half size.

The boots are definitely roomy so I did put the inserts in that came with the boots and now they fit perfectly, not to mention having a tad more cushion with the inserts.

They are comfortable right out of the box. I hope to enjoy them for a good many years.

They may not see much use as we get into the late spring and summer months but they will be called upon when the rains come.

They are light, comfortable and a bit stylish. They appear to be well-crafted and durable, although like so many durable goods, the cognoscenti have said that the quality of these boots has diminished since Blundstone began manufacturing most of these boots in Vietnam, Thailand, India, China and Mexico although some of their boots are still manuactured in Hobart, Tasmania.

Anyway… I like them. :thumbup1:

F144F2DE-C175-4E8F-A4D1-677913A4C029.jpeg
332DAED0-7B9B-4BFA-AD31-B26ED09F99E9.jpeg

And then there were two (Chelsea boots).
E19E305F-FB80-4B13-8CAE-20352BD7560A.jpeg

Both of these Chelsea-style boots tend to lean towards a much more casual look.

I think I would like to add a more refined, dressier Chelsea boot to the collection, more in line with the boots produced by…

Crockett & Jones
75241496-61D1-4ABF-9AD5-CDE9555F4C65.jpeg

or perhaps

RM Williams.
931E0E20-FDD1-4470-BD08-367646D5EC60.jpeg

But I’ll leave that for another day. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Very nice. I also like the look of those Crockett and Jones. Currently trying to keep at least some of the more recent buys in my regular rotation before seriously considering anything else.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Getting ready for the summer with some new slides. Ordered these Adilette slides from DSW on sale.

Originally ordered a Size 11 but they were huge. Returned them for a Size 10 but had to return those too.

FDC9CC0F-E5B5-4711-9D09-4C2B3F27087B.jpeg

Now I know I can be a bit much when it comes to details on footwear but the reason I returned the second pair was one detail I was not willing to overlook…

THEY SENT ME A PAIR WITH TWO LEFT FEET! 🙄

Sorry, I gotta draw the line somewhere. 😀

But they made it right. 👍

30C6AD81-B4D9-4863-845F-56A41FAD82D1.jpeg
0D763A47-FAE0-4A3C-B9B6-7F061A178C36.jpeg
195DE913-4F87-4484-86CA-E932957E57B8.jpeg

267FA98A-6834-442C-A364-C9DC426082C5.jpeg

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
How is it that a pair of sneakers comes out of nowhere and falls from the sky?

As I continued on my daily search for the Rod Laver tennis sneaker by adidas, I continually hit the wall.

I had recently sold my pair of all-leather Rods that were Size 10.5 and were just too snug in the toe-box area.

And the search continued…. :scooter:

A few days ago, I realized that I had not searched for them for a few days so I typed it into the search engine and the usual suspects pop-up.

But I conducted my due diligence and checked to see what sizes were available and came upon a Size 11.5 and it says (1 available). 😳

What do you think happened next? 🤪

Now I was really looking for a Size 11 but in light of the scarcity of this sneaker I’m willing to take a shot in the dark and try the half size larger.

If they’re too big, on the selling block they’ll go. But as with other adidas, I have ordered 11.5 (Grand Court) and they fit just fine while Size 11 in Superstars fits well too. So we shall see.

Also, unlike the all-leather pair I just sold, this pair has the mesh upper which was the original design from the 70’s and rather than the green colorway (which wasn’t a available anyway) I went with what appears to be the royal blue.

The all-leather version was also quite heavy. The mesh version should be much lighter.

And true to form, I went back to the Nordstrom website where I purchased them from and that size is no longer available.

It’s kinda odd really…

When I get ‘em, you’ll see ‘em. :thumbup1:

BC0AA403-C5E9-4BE6-AC7F-235C7D6B1D66.jpeg

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
This used to be the everyday rotation before the pandemic (which included all of the J&Ms that were recently purged.)

41D3D824-B3FC-4329-BA13-BD18B3D79BB1.jpeg

C3A53829-9966-425A-B4D4-0C25772D2235.jpeg

That rotation has been replaced by this rotation:
8FD32622-DA4D-4AB4-B508-C40CA0464768.jpeg

And some boat shoes and moccs.
9461C389-83C2-491F-BEC7-933551C34ED7.jpeg

And of course, some sneeks.

D219E620-D0C1-44BD-B85E-B7A5958622EA.jpeg

What’s going on in the watch thread? 🤪

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
What started out as a “purge program” in 2021/2022, turned into more of an “exchange program” in 2023.

2023 saw the exit of a couple pairs of Astorflex…

First, was the Bitflex Chelsea boot. Although it is a nice-looking boot, there was just too much volume in the toe box which gave it more of a work-boot look, rather than the more sleek, casual profile this boot conjures up in my mind. The Bitflex was more Blundstone than say, Crockett & Jones.
IMG_7277.jpeg

I’m thinking that the Bitflex will be replaced by an RM Williams boot, although I’m not sure which model (Craftsman, Gardner or Turnout). I haven’t decided on whether the more chiseled toe is to my liking or a more rounded, softer look.

I’m planning on heading to the RM Williams store in NYC in 2024 to try on various models to see which one is preferable as well as getting the fit just right.

The Dukeflex also made an exit this year. Again, I like the styling but without offering 1/2 sizes, the shoe looked a bit too big on my foot.
IMG_7278.jpeg

But it was quickly replaced by the Flizzon by Velasca which offers 1/2 sizes, for a more refined look and fit.

IMG_7284.jpeg

The only other shoes/boots added in 2023 were the Clark Desert Boot in Hairy Ginger suede.
IMG_7291.jpeg

Once again, this pair did not see a lot of pavement but that will change in 2024.

Another addition was this penny loafer by Aurlands. After an exchange process, this shoe did see plenty of action in 2023 and will continue to see more action in 2024.

IMG_7305.jpeg

The other pair is the Red Wing Work Chukka in the Briar Oil Slick leather and I am very pleased with them so far (they are still going through the break-in period).

IMG_7288.jpeg

And although no sneakers exited in 2023, a few more pairs found their way into the closet.

A pair of the Club C 85 Vintage by Reebok. They are a classic sneaker that has not seen a lot of wear because I think I would fare better with a half size up. These could see an exit/exchange in 2024.
IMG_7279.jpeg

I picked up this pair of Hokas to replace an older pair of Hokas and yet find myself reaching for the older pair more often than the new pair. These could also be making an exit in 2024 if they don’t start seeing more pavement.
IMG_7280.jpeg

This next pair is an oddity. I really like these New Balance 990’s a lot. They are really comfortable and I like the way they look. They also fulfill my obligatory “dad” sneaker. 😀

And yet, they hardly ever get on my feet. But, they will not be leaving anytime soon. It is my goal to wear them more in 2024.
IMG_7282.jpeg

The adidas Samba is a streetwear classic and I am enjoying them. They see plenty of pavement and will look even better with a bit more wear and tear.
IMG_7283.jpeg

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
For 2024, the only footwear on my radar is the previously mentioned RM Williams boot.
IMG_7285.jpeg

Also, I don’t think I’m quite through on the “loafer front”.

The Ellis loafer by Blackstock & Weber is still on my radar as the beefy/hefty silhouette is pleasing to my eye.
IMG_7306.jpeg

And of course, for purely traditional purposes, perhaps no loafer collection can be without the Bass Weejun.

IMG_7307.jpeg

Finally, I am still interested in acquiring a pair of the Playtime Chukka boot offered by Hutton which was the original playboy chukka that McQueen wore back in the day.
IMG_7286.jpeg

But for now, The Luther by Sanders fills in nicely.

IMG_7289.jpeg

I’m sure a pair Jack Purcells and maybe a pair of Stan Smiths (as the current ones are looking a bit tired) are in the mix when the Spring arrives.

However, the goal in 2024 is acquiring less and getting more use out of what’s already in the closet. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
I collect used Shoes, then I take two a couple of local places that give to homeless Vets.

Funnest story was local Bowling Alley got new shoes. The old shoe went to our VA to give to homeless Vets.

One day I see this homeless guy waring one pair of the old bowling shoes.

Knew from the color of his shoes the old bowling shoes went to someone in need.

Sure he did not care they were funny color, they were shoe he could wear.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The other pair is the Red Wing Work Chukka in the Briar Oil Slick leather and I am very pleased with them so far (they are still going through the break-in period).

I don't normally like a light coloured sole on a dark boot/shoe, but I do like the look of those. The vivid stitching helps those soles "belong" there, I think. They're the best of that bunch for me, Bob.

I got rid of the two pairs of shoes I tried recolouring, earlier this year. They ended up just looking like a bodge job after a couple of wearings. As for the rest, It's been a slow and steady break in phase for them. Some I can spend a whole day in, some half a day indoors, or a mile or two outside. Some I haven't made a concerted effort with yet, as some others are being slow to yield. They are still causing soreness after half a mile or so, and are determined to stay factory shaped. They're not a bad fit, just slow to conform to my heel.

It's not an uncommon problem for me with hard leather shoes. I have stopped using shoe trees too, as I think they were perpetuating the problem. I spend a couple of hours making the heel fit me, then the shoe trees spend the night making them not fit me again...

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I don't normally like a light coloured sole on a dark boot/shoe, but I do like the look of those. The vivid stitching helps those soles "belong" there, I think. They're the best of that bunch for me, Bob.

Some I haven't made a concerted effort with yet, as some others are being slow to yield.

It is a “different” kind of boot for me but, like you, I am making a concerted effort to break-in the work chukkas and develop a nice patina which I did not do with the Iron Rangers (which is why they were in such great condition when I sold them some 10 years after I purchased them).

Same with the Dr. Martens’ 939 Ben Boot which I sold some 30 years after being purchased and the uppers and insoles were essentially in fairly new condition.

Many times you see a work boot (or other kinds of heartier shoes/boots) that look awesome when they are broken in. But, in order to obtain that look, you have to put the time in and wear the darn things.

Last edited:
Top Bottom