What's new

The Great Disappearing Act

Curiosity kill the cat and I ended up buying a Semogue 1800 boar brush.

As a B&B-abiding member, I cannot shave with it until @Owen Bawn ’s Synthetic Summer is over. So I’ve been limited to palm lathering it and giving it some “face test” every now and then.

The thing is: as many members have pointed out, it does seem to “eat” the soap. The same amount of cream that would easily get 3 passes on my synthetic brush almost disappears right after the first pass with the hungry boar.

Where does all that soap go?!?!

Does the brush transfer more soap to the face than synthetics do? I’m not sure, because I haven’t actually shaved with it. In any event, the bristles cannot possibly absorb the difference, otherwise it would become unusable after some time.

Wherever that soap goes, it is the greatest disappearing act I’ve ever seen!

Most if not all non-synthetic brush will require more soap. In addition, a boar brush won't reach its' full lathering capability until it is broke in...at least that's my opinion.

I've also experienced Semogues taking longer to break in than other brand's brushes.

The 1800 is an amazing brush. I recommend using some inexpensive Proraso to break it in. One you do you should have a better situation.

But we should ask, are you soaking it for five minutes before shaving? Boar fibers absorb liquid (unlike badger and synthetic), so if you aren’t fully soaking the brush the soap will absorb into the fibers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soap is cheap, let the brush soak for 5 minutes as said above and then start with a double dose of your usual soap amount. If you get too much lather reduce it from there until you have your optimum. The more it’s broken in the closer you will be to your usual soap portion.

Cream is a pretty good disappearing act in its own rite. I prefer boars on a super hard triple milled puck where you can load the brush for a long time. Don't give up. First time ownership of a boar it's easy to write it off as a bad brush. It's just as well that you're not using it yet, but if you keep palm lathering it on the side you'll see and feel the change. I almost threw my Omega 10049 away, and now it's one of my favorites.

I used nothing but boar brushes for a couple of years. Good brushes but they all ate soap or required lots of loading, broken in or not and whether I soaked them for one minute or twenty. My Semogue was by far the worst perpetrator though. Since I've started using a synthetic I haven't touched them.

I’ve often found new brushes to just swallow the lather up like a black hole. I’ve often found that the stinkier the brush, the more it swallows.
After a few lathers this gets better until it becomes consistent and the brush is running at its full potential.
Stick with it it won’t take long, maybe 5-10 lathers max

Sorry for the late replies!

But we should ask, are you soaking it for five minutes before shaving? Boar fibers absorb liquid (unlike badger and synthetic), so if you aren’t fully soaking the brush the soap will absorb into the fibers.
Yes. Now I am. It’s better. I haven’t gried face lathering, though. Will do tomorrow.

Soap is cheap, let the brush soak for 5 minutes as said above and then start with a double dose of your usual soap amount. If you get too much lather reduce it from there until you have your optimum.
Yes, part of the bowl lathering was for that reason! Good advice!

Cream is a pretty good disappearing act in its own rite. I prefer boars on a super hard triple milled puck where you can load the brush for a long time. Don't give up.
Not giving in! The brush is too delicate for that. Yes, I ended up using it with MWF, not creams.

Since I've started using a synthetic I haven't touched them.
No doubt about the convenience of synthetics. However, although I like the T2, I don’t love it. I suspect the knot shape and proportions may play a part in it. But, with the exception of the STF, I don’t see many synthetics with that kind of shape and proportions. I had a Hi-Brush. In the end, I found the bristles a little harsh. But I did like the proportion and knot shape better than the T2. More similar to what the Semogue gives me.

Stick with it it won’t take long, maybe 5-10 lathers max
It is much better indeed. Face lathering is the next step.

The Semogue 1800 is a great choice. All I'll say is don't judge a boar brush until it is fully broken in since they completely change during that time. A new brush is usually bone dry, so it helps to let the bristles soak at least overnight when you first get it. Also, soak the bristles at least five minutes in warm water before using each time. This should help with the lather eating problem.

The most successful pairings with a boar brush seem to be soft soaps like Cella or hard milled soaps where the firm backbone really helps out in loading the soap. Try the Marco method and you will have plenty of lather.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Curiosity kill the cat and I ended up buying a Semogue 1800 boar brush.

As a B&B-abiding member, I cannot shave with it until @Owen Bawn ’s Synthetic Summer is over. So I’ve been limited to palm lathering it and giving it some “face test” every now and then.

The thing is: as many members have pointed out, it does seem to “eat” the soap. The same amount of cream that would easily get 3 passes on my synthetic brush almost disappears right after the first pass with the hungry boar.

Where does all that soap go?!?!

Does the brush transfer more soap to the face than synthetics do? I’m not sure, because I haven’t actually shaved with it. In any event, the bristles cannot possibly absorb the difference, otherwise it would become unusable after some time.

Wherever that soap goes, it is the greatest disappearing act I’ve ever seen!
Use cheaper soap and don’t worry about it.

Soak the brush. At least 5 minted. I soak for ten.

It takes boars (especially Semogue) dozens of soak/dry cycles to break in. Use your wife's hair dryer to dry the brush to accelerate the break in considerably

All of that said...No natural hair brush will ever be able to compete with the efficiency of a modern synthetic.

Top Bottom