What's new

The great 3D Printing thread

Made a few of these containers for some Stirling samples @Lightcs1776 so graciously supplied to me. It was easy to peel the label off the plastic wrap and reapply to the container.

View attachment 1348048
very nice! lol, just started a print of a bowl+lid for the MWF replacement puck I just got.
I made a parametric model for the container so when a new puck comes I just change the inner diameter and the height of the bowl according to the puck's measurements and all the other parameters go with the change and ready to print in no time.

I love how two hobbies intermingle :)

oh, btw, if you don't know yet, Thingiverse has been breached breached breached a few days back, if you have an account there it is possible it's been stolen with all your personal data (if you had any stored by Thingiverse)

The details, the severity and the scope of the breach is still a bit hazy but if you have an account, it's best to change your password as soon as possible, especially if you have used the same password somewhere else. (I hope you don't use the same password everywhere/multiple places)

stay safe online

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
oh, btw, if you don't know yet, Thingiverse has been breached breached breached a few days back, if you have an account there it is possible it's been stolen with all your personal data (if you had any stored by Thingiverse)

The details, the severity and the scope of the breach is still a bit hazy but if you have an account, it's best to change your password as soon as possible, especially if you have used the same password somewhere else. (I hope you don't use the same password everywhere/multiple places)

stay safe online
Thanks for the heads up!

aaand, it's done. The new home for the MWF soap

20211019_151504.jpg

20211019_152138.jpg

As it is still tabactober, it's not in use yet. With the wrapper is still around it's a snug fit, but without the paper there's gonna be some room to let air in and dry the soap when it's not in use, also that's why there are holes in the lid and little posts under the soap

I had to make it out of ABS, the morning sun comes through the window, right to my little den and anything PLA is getting crooked and wonky, and summer is in the corner. ABS whitstands this way better, I had to reprint my brush stands with ABS already.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
There are a couple of threads that revolve around designing a 3D printed OLD Type baseplate for use with Tech top cap. Very cool reading. Printed one and shaved with it today. STL's are in both threads. Be sure to grab the latest versions.

Started here as a simple discussion about how great the OLD Type is. Evolved into a huge discussion about 3D printing and CNC production.

Finished here:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Created a stopper than can be put in the top of a liquor bottle to allow its use as an aftershave or other liquid dispensing bottle.
A shaker dispenser in a manner of speaking.

Image3.png

Created a stopper than can be put in the top of a liquor bottle to allow its use as an aftershave or other liquid dispensing bottle.
A shaker dispenser in a manner of speaking.

View attachment 1365146
Nice! And now I need to empty a liquor bottle to make room for my aftershave. Well, if I must... :cool:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Nice! And now I need to empty a liquor bottle to make room for my aftershave. Well, if I must... :cool:
This is not a standard size, so you'll have to tweak outside dimensions to fit your particular bottle!

This is not a standard size, so you'll have to tweak outside dimensions to fit your particular bottle!
I'll just keep drinking until I find a bottle that fits :cool:

One of my favorite prints is a combination of two different offerings with a few modifications. One was a shaving bowl adjusted to about the same dimensions as a Stirling container. Shaving Bowl by Draggon - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:158130

The other was a bowl with a cutout roof. Bowl with a cutout roof by confusedCoyote - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4241615

I like the grip of the first one, but the ability to air-out my soap of the second. I just kept making adjustments until I got it to be the size that works for me. I don't consider myself to be very creative so I'm sometimes forced to rely of the genius of others.

Nice!

On a side note, I resized the stopper for a 3/4 inch opening, and truth be told, I could have made the outlet hole a little smaller.
Next time around!
Thanks. This was far from my first draft; the beauty of 3d-printing is you have several chances to get it right. I finally got the size right so any additional prints will probably be just to adjust the layer height so the finish is smoother. I may also try different filaments such as silver, marble, and/or wood.

I like using the Speick Soap Stick for travel lathering but have always hated the mess. I built this prototype stick holder and printed one. I did not want to use a screw mechanism to move the soap up as it requires you to drill into the soap. So I came up with this slot-tab as a way to advance the soap. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for a more elegant method of advancing the soap? Keep in mind that my Fussion 360 skill set consists of point, click, cuss, and undo.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-22 14.16.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-11-22 14.16.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 12

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I like using the Speick Soap Stick for travel lathering but have always hated the mess. I built this prototype stick holder and printed one. I did not want to use a screw mechanism to move the soap up as it requires you to drill into the soap. So I came up with this slot-tab as a way to advance the soap. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for a more elegant method of advancing the soap? Keep in mind that my Fussion 360 skill set consists of point, click, cuss, and undo.
You're design is actually quite good. Do you think due to exposure to air that the stick might dry out too much?

It's tough to come up with a design that doesn't require a hole in the stick, or isn't extremely messy.
Earlier in this thread I made 3 stick holders, one a traditional push up type, one a rod push up type, and the other is a screw up type that uses a fitted "handle" to reach in and screw the tube up.
I did not test print the traditional or the handle screw up type, so some twealing might be necessary.

Again, with this one, the inner screw base raises the stick up in the tube, and you use the slotted handle to reach in, engage and turn the screw up base.

Image1.png

Top Bottom