What's new

The great 3D Printing thread

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have melted my fair share of prints in Acetone. Believe me. :) If you try PolyMaker Polysmooth PLA, you can use an alcohol vapor bath for amazing results. It is specially made for alcohol based smoothing.

I didnt think that the Davinci Pro v1 has a hardened too head. You need to be careful printing out the abrasive filaments in there. You can tear apart your printer with those filaments. And it doesnt take much. My first two 3D printers were Davinci's. One of them was a Pro V1 like yours. They are good printers.

I modified the nozzle and heating assembly to accommodate stainless steel nozzles. The one piece head and nozzle just wasn't cutting it for me. I change nozzles pretty frequently, but they are cheap on amazon. Have also done the cable chain and feeder tube modifications to keep them out of the way and prevent damage.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I modified the nozzle and heating assembly to accommodate stainless steel nozzles. The one piece head and nozzle just wasn't cutting it for me. I change nozzles pretty frequently, but they are cheap on amazon. Have also done the cable chain and feeder tube modifications to keep them out of the way and prevent damage.

Very cool. You need to watch the hob gear as well. That gets chewed up from the metal and carbon fiber filaments. I dont remember how that whole thing is setup on the Pro V1. I just recall that the filament feeder was weirdly located in the top of the frame. :)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Very cool. You need to watch the hob gear as well. That gets chewed up from the metal and carbon fiber filaments. I dont remember how that whole thing is setup on the Pro V1. I just recall that the filament feeder was weirdly located in the top of the frame. :)

Exactly what I'm dealing with this morning. I'm going to have to replace or resurface the feed idler gear (the spring loaded one with the rotation counter)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Exactly what I'm dealing with this morning. I'm going to have to replace or resurface the feed idler gear (the spring loaded one with the rotation counter)

There is some kind of a workaround for it on youtube. Not sure what its all about. Dont have the patience to watch it since I sold both my Davinci's to a buddy. Not sure if this will help or not, but thought to pass it along.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Traditional style Ever-Ready Shave Brush Handle

Image1.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
When COVID was in full swing, I hated the paper and cloth masks as they always fogged up my glasses.
I 3D printed a face mask that was much more comfortable and had the capability to change the filter medium (cotton or cloth pads).

20210623_084312.jpg

The front of the filter would snap into the back side of a "cover" so that people didn't have to look at the ugly mask.
My choice for cover was the mask that was worn by Hannibal Lector in The Silence of the Lambs. Honestly, I got a whole lot more thumbs up from people than I did scowling looks.

20210623_084348.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
When COVID was in full swing, I hated the paper and cloth masks as they always fogged up my glasses.
I 3D printed a face mask that was much more comfortable and had the capability to change the filter medium (cotton or cloth pads).

When the lockdown first hit, I had the same problems. Especially whole glasses fogging thing. ugh. So I printed out every facemask design I could find. Including the one pictured above... not including the Hannibal cover. :) I even tried making some original designs. I could not find anything that was comfortable, and didnt fog the glasses sufficiently. I also felt like the seal between the printed mask and the face was not tight enough to provide adequate protection. Some people posted that they used rubber gasketing around the edge to seal it to the face. But I was not willing to put some unknown rubber material onto my face for extended periods of time. So I started sewing my own cloth masks, and finally got to a design that didnt fog the glasses. But it was a very fun exercise at the beginning of the lockdown. And we all needed a distraction back then. That hannibal mask it cool!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
When the lockdown first hit, I had the same problems. Especially whole glasses fogging thing. ugh. So I printed out every facemask design I could find. Including the one pictured above... not including the Hannibal cover. :) I even tried making some original designs. I could not find anything that was comfortable, and didnt fog the glasses sufficiently. I also felt like the seal between the printed mask and the face was not tight enough to provide adequate protection. Some people posted that they used rubber gasketing around the edge to seal it to the face. But I was not willing to put some unknown rubber material onto my face for extended periods of time. So I started sewing my own cloth masks, and finally got to a design that didnt fog the glasses. But it was a very fun exercise at the beginning of the lockdown. And we all needed a distraction back then. That hannibal mask it cool!

I did use some foam gasketing. I didn't have any issues, but then again, I can use Easy Off Oven Cleaner without gloves LOL.
It was tough balancing what was right with what was absolutely intolerable.

The hannibal mask got me on a weird tangent to print out masks used by Movie characters (iron man, rocketeer, spartans, predator etc.)
I have the predator mask done, I just have to attach the dreadlocks and copper bands.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
It was tough balancing what was right with what was absolutely intolerable.

I hear you there. Contrary to my usual lack of concern for germs or health issues, I was genuinely freaked out when the pandemic started. So I was really trying to engineer a mask that would provide me and my family the best protection, whilst remaining comfortable and glasses friendly. I just happened that home made cloth masks were the ticket for us. But I did have fun experimenting with the 3D printed designs.

I've printed quite a few shaving-related items since I purchased my 3d printer. There has been a lot of trial and error trying to get the dimensions just right or making slight alterations according to what I thought might be my personal preference. I've also managed to find some items that I've managed to repurpose. One I like is the Fancy Buddha Pen Holder that I use for my razors. I got tired of having different holders because either the razor handle was too long, too wide, or too heavy. This one works for all of my razors so far and is easy to print without supports.

Another favorite is the Bowl with a cutout roof that I use as a loading bowl. Instead of loading my soaps from their original container, I scoop out a sample of 10 to 30 grams (depending on how long I plan to use it before switching to another one) and place it in the bowl. The slots in the lid allow the soap to dry overnight but also provide cover so I'm not looking at an open bowl of lather all day. I used the 100mm version and reduced the height to 40mm. Just by chance I realized the modification resulted in a bowl that pretty much matched the dimensions of the MWF container.

20210623_MWF.jpg

And then I thought I wanted a wider bowl and changed the size again. I stayed with the 40mm height, but changed the scale of both the X-axis and Y-axis to 110 percent. It turns out this modification results in a bowl the size of the Stirling container.

20210623_SSC.jpg

EDIT: I just read the original post again and realized my post may not be in line with the intent of this thread. These are not my designs nor have I posted the modifications to Thingiverse. If that is a problem, please let me know and I will attempt to remove or alter my entry. Thank you.

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Great stuff guys, love the pics. I don’t have a 3D printer but thought it would be a great application for brush design. Nice to see the fine examples here. Keep posting cool pics!

Top Bottom