What's new

The Gov. to try to take our guns.

Rep. Carolyn McCarthy [D-NY] is trying to pass into law bill H.R. 1022: To reauthorize the assault weapons ban, and for other purposes. Here is a link to the bill.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-1022

This bill would outlaw many sporting shotguns, rifles, semi auto pistols with magazines capable of holding more than ten rounds and so called "assault" weapons. Please contact your congressmen & women and let them know that this is unacceptable.

With democrats in control this was inevitable. They totally disregard the second amendment and tell us it's for our own good. This law will ban one of the most popular hunting weapons the Remington 700 semi automatic rifle. No more a assault weapon than a Sling Shot. It is all about elitists try to tell us what is good for us. :biggrin:
Joe

Right on! Never can tell when you might run into a rogue squirrel and need that 30 round banana clip!:biggrin: It's a shame that these laws are written by people.. Unfortunately our language skills are not capable of really expressing what we wish to communicate. That's why we think a long gun that looks like it's a Rammbo special is evil. Take an M60 and paint it Barby Pink? Well that can't be too bad... Now can it?:ohmy:

The 2nd Amendment is the most important part of the Constitution. Without the right to keep and bear arms; the rest of the Bill of Rights is meaningless. Patrick Henry had it right when he said: " We won't need the 2nd Amendment until they try to take it away" Wake up America! The way the politicians keep chipping away at our rights is insidious. Join the NRA and write your congressmen. There is no topic you could bring up on this forum to get me more excited.

P.S. The Remington Model 700 is a bolt action rifle. The bolt has to be racked manually for every shot. The magazine has a capacity of 3 to 5 rounds depending on the caliber. It is strictly a hunting/target rifle, although anything can be abused, to include knives, screwdrivers, baseball bats, etc. Where will it all end?

Thanks for letting me rant.

Tom

P.S. The Remington Model 700 is a bolt action rifle. The bolt has to be racked manually for every shot. The magazine has a capacity of 3 to 5 rounds depending on the caliber. It is strictly a hunting/target rifle, although anything can be abused, to include knives, screwdrivers, baseball bats, etc. Where will it all end?

Thanks for letting me rant.

Tom
My bad it is the 750 I was talking about.

Joe

....Wake up America! The way the politicians keep chipping away at our rights is insidious.....

That's what they do and as long as we keep putting them in office they will keep stealing our liberty and property.

The solution -

1. Don't vote.

2. Live your life in as much disregard for the state as is possible. Always remember it's your family, friends and the merchants who you do business with that make up society no matter what the power mad few do to muck up these peaceful, voluntary relationships.

Crap! Here we go again.

Well, I don't know why I came here tonight
I got a feelin' that something ain't right
I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair
And I'm wonderin' how I'll get down those stairs
Clowns to left of me, jokers to the right
Here am I stuck in the middle with you

Yes, I'm stuck in the middle with you
And I'm wonderin' what it is I should do
It's so hard to keep this smile from my face
Losin' control, I'm all over the place

Well, you started off with nothing
And you're proud that you're a self-made man
And your friends they all come crawling
Slap you on the back and say
Please, please

Well, I'm stuck in the middle with you
And I'm wonderin' what it is I should do
Is it cool to go to sleep on the floor?
I don't think that I can take it anymore

Well, you started off with nothing
And you're proud that you're a self-made man
And your friends they all come crawling
Slap you on the back and say
Please, please

Well, I don't know why I came here tonight
I got a feelin' that something ain't right
I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair
And I'm wonderin' how I'll get down those stairs
Here I am stuck in the middle with you
Yes, I'm stuck in the middle with you
Stuck in the middle with you

courtesy Steelers Wheel ca. 1973

It's interesting that they named it a reauthorization when in fact it goes much further than the Clinton ban.

I wonder how the people who swing voted for those democrats in close races that walked, talked, and generally acted like conservatives are feeling about their choices now.

I'd like to ask a couple of sincere questions without starting a war of words. I really don't know much about the so-called assault rifles.

First, what would be wrong with a law that permitted ownership of hunting rifles and handguns that could be used for self-defense in a realistic stiuation, but banned semi-automatic military-style weapons with large-capacity clips designed for ammunition that no reasonable hunter would use?

Second, what's the Second Amendment got to do with anything? No one's arguing that "arms" includes tanks, artillery, thermonuclear devices, fully automatic weapons, or battleships. Why not draw the line at 18th Century muskets, or frontier militias, when we're talking about the Constitution?

Well for one thing many "reasonable" people do hunt with so called military style rifles. Secondly, this has everything to do with the second amendment. The second amendment isn't in place to protect the gov. from other countries. The second amendment exists to protect the citizens from the government.

jazzman, one of the big problems is that the second amendment has nothing to do with hunting. I don't see hunting mentioned at all in the constitution. Hunting is a red herring.
The other problem is, who defines what is a proper firearm for hunting or self-defence? Keep in mind that there are many who feel one does not have a right to self-defense. And what is a semi-automatic military style weapon? I own a Ruger .22 semi-auto pistol. Favored by the mob and several intelligence services for assisination. Does that make it a military style weapon?
There are a number of semi-auto rifles and pistols that are avaliable. Does that mean they should be illegal? Full auto weapons require a special license. There was a time you could purchase a full auto Thompson over the counter, but the gun laws of 1935 (I think) made them illegal without the license. The media confuse these and semi-auto weapons all the time.
Sniper rifles are a good point. All they really are is (now) a Reminton M700 with a heavy barrel and custom hand loads. There are thousands of hunting rifles that meet that discription.
Once you allow the door to be opened regarding what is or is not covered under the second amendment, a can of worms is opened.
How difficult is it to understand that "the right of the people to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed?" I know the agruments regarding the meaning of 'Milita', but milita means all male citizens between the ages of 16 and 55, not the National Guard.
But the fact of the matter is that the liberals will not be satisfied until we Americans are defenceless like our brothers in England, Austraila, and Canada.
And, though trite, what is the first thing to go under totalitarian rule? The individual right to bare arms.

The second amendment exists to protect the citizens from the government.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." Declaration of Independence - July 4 1776

Rep. Carolyn McCarthy [D-NY] is trying to pass into law bill H.R. 1022: To reauthorize the assault weapons ban, and for other purposes. Here is a link to the bill.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-1022

Good for him. It won't pass, but its a issue that needs to be revisited.

They totally disregard the second amendment and tell us it's for our own good.

And fortunately, unlike our GOP brethren, we pretty much leave the rest of them alone. Especially that first one.

The 2nd Amendment is the most important part of the Constitution.

Its an important freedom, but the right to own street-sweepers isn't part of deal. But either way, I hope you don't actually believe that -- I can think of a couple other amendments that might be a teensy bit more important (see above).

That's what they do and as long as we keep putting them in office they will keep stealing our liberty and property.

The solution -

1. Don't vote.

2. Live your life in as much disregard for the state as is possible.

I've got a better solution. Leave.

I wonder how the people who swing voted for those democrats in close races that walked, talked, and generally acted like conservatives are feeling about their choices now.

I wouldn't know, but as a fairly liberal Dem, I'm reasonably satisfied.

Well for one thing many "reasonable" people do hunt with so called military style rifles. Secondly, this has everything to do with the second amendment. The second amendment isn't in place to protect the gov. from other countries. The second amendment exists to protect the citizens from the government.

Right. And its a damned good thing we have all those great private militias that are fully capable of taking out the National Guard. The government wouldn't stand a chance! I sure feel safer since those guys have assault weapons.

How difficult is it to understand that "the right of the people to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed?"

The founding fathers were surely anticipating the development of assault weapons and their utilization in street warfare, terrorism, and other violent crime. Sometimes it sounds like for some, the Constitution is only an evolving document when it suits their politics.

But the fact of the matter is that the liberals will not be satisfied until we Americans are defenceless like our brothers in England, Austraila, and Canada.

No, but we might be satisfied if you could spell correctly. :glare:

Please contact your congressmen & women and let them know that this is unacceptable.

I like to keep my nose out of these politically-charged discussions, because I think I probably disagree by-and-large with most people that frequent this board. That's totally okay, and I don't think less of anyone for their political opinions. But, I do resent the fact that topics like these get brought up whilst assuming that no reasonable American could possibly disagree.

So to make your point you are going to single people out about their spelling? Thats fine. That is your RIGHT. As an American you have the RIGHT to express your own views. No matter how much I may disagree with whatever it is that you have to say, I am glad that you don't have to keep it bottled up inside you like you might if you were born into a nation that doesn't have our freedoms. I just hope that you realize that you don't stand up for ALL of your rights, you will surely lose them.

I shall take this opportunity to remind everyone of the very important point that the right to bear arms is an entirely different thing from the right to bear any arms that one chooses.

I would like to point out that there is a slight element of irony as well to the fact that several of the same people who see nothing wrong with the TSA and other "sound and fury, signifying nothing" provisions, that appease the sensibilities and violate liberty egregiously while doing little to increase security - are the same voices raised in hysterical knee-jerk outrage at this bill. Which, as has been pointed out is neither a repeal of Amendment 2, nor is it likely to pass.

And really, upon sober reflection - both are essentially tempests in a teapot.

Because the true defense of Liberty is honest men willing to set aside their differences and fight for it when the need arises, as it always has been, and always shall be.

Wow, I'm glad to see the majority of the folks that visit this forum seem to be clear thinking individuals that understand what's going on in our country. The Second Amendment IS the most important part of the Constitution because, as I tried to point out, the rest of our rights can be taken away when we have no defense. Our forefathers knew this. When King George started making unreasonable demands and oppressing the colonists, they were given the boot. The right to take back our government when it gets too big for it's own good was what the Second Amendment was written for. Our forefathers would want us to have "assault rifles" if that's what would be required to defend the Constitution. The government has them, why can't law abiding citizens?

Castle Craver, you can tell us to leave the country or make fun of our spelling, and I'll defend your right to say things like that; but maybe your time might be better spent looking around and see what's going on before it's too late.

Tom

Top Bottom