The Gorham 1906?

IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0165.JPG
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0163.JPG
IMG_0160.JPG
IMG_0162.JPG
IMG_0159.JPG
I recently purchased a unique razor which I received in the mail today and I was hoping that some knowledgeable B&B collectors could offer enlightenment as to its history. In searching the internet I did locate one other example that is dated 1907, but there wasn't much info pertaining to its origin.

There is a round circular impression on the head of the razor which almost gives it an unfinished appearance. Could it be a prototype?

PS I will be shaving with this razor in the AM.

There was one for sale on ebay five or six months ago. I believe the seller wanted five grand don't know if it sold. That's holy grail type stuff there.

That round circular impression on the head is the threaded stud that has pulled in a bit from tightening the bottom knob, common occurrence on early thin cap razors.

NOT a prototype, it's a classy razor!

Well if you like fancy razors, I guess it's okay. Just kidding it is fantastic, who wouldn't love to locate one. I know I certainly would rip my back pocket off trying to get my wallet out! Congratulations.

R

romsitsa

The rounded pins look interesting. Is the whole razor silver or is the threaded rod silver plated brass? Very fine craftsmanship.

Adam

Thank you all for the kind words. I own a Boker straight, ATT S2, Timeless OC .95 and a Feather AS-D2 and use them all, but I have never owned a Gillette safety razor (I know, blasphemy) and thought it was about time to remedy that situation. Having lost out on a beautiful double ring last week (I was the under bidder) I happened upon a eBay listing that didn't seem to be getting very much attention, probably because of the generic title touting a sterling silver handled razor. A bit of research convinced me that this was no ordinary razor... but one which I would probably never get another chance at owning. The final hammer was $630, though my max bid was about six times that amount, so while I was willing to pay quite a bit more, I was very happy with the results.

It would be great to learn a little more about this beautiful, historic double edge razor... hopefully, someone will come along to fill in the blanks.

One last thing. I had one of the best shaves of my life this morning - I took my time and thoroughly enjoyed myself. No weepers, cuts, nicks or irritation and shaving just like they did 111 years ago. Ain't life grand.:001_smile

Last edited:
Hi,

I am surprised that no one has mentioned that Gorham was a large manufacturer of sterling silver products. They were not a razor maker per se, but did manufacture sterling silver razors for Gillette. These show up on eBay every so often. Most of the ones I have seen are of the Old Type but I have also seen New Improved and New Deluxe versions as well. They tend not to be in the razor categories, but in the sterling silver ones....

Stan

I grew up in the Providence area and recall back in the 80s when they moved from their Adelaide Ave. location where they had been for nearly a hundred years. Yeah, Gorham was really big around these parts many, many moons ago.

You know, I'm really not sure my razor was manufactured by Gorham. It does have a small hallmark shaped like a head, but it doesn't seem to match the Gorham mark that I compared it to. If anyone else has any more information, please feel free to chime in.

Stan - The whole time I was using the razor I was thinking to myself, this thing shaves about as well as my ATT. So, my two favorite razors have one hundred and ten years separating them.

Top Bottom