What's new

The Goodfellas’ smile safety razor stainless steel Syntesi

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Something new from the Goodfellas (Italy) on preorder: the "Syntesi".

Seems it's a not quite Game Changer style razor, while looking similarly the blade clamping seems less pronounced.

"Developed entirely in 303 stainless steel coated with scratch-resistant hard chrome, Syntesi Safety Razor features a finish somewhere between polished and matt. Brilliant but without reflections, like the sand of the White sands desert (New Mexico) glistening in the scorching midday sun."
"The handle of the Syntesi safety razor features a Nylon safety washer pre-installed in the handle screw. This special housing locks the washer in place, preventing it from falling out."

Material: Stainless steel 303
Coating: Scratch-resistant hard chrome
Handle length: 80mm
Overall length: 87mm
Head width: 43mm
Head depth: 24mm
Blade gap: 0.62mm
Exposure: 0.02mm
Weight: 98gr
1670271621423.png

It's on preorder at the Goodfellas website for a reduced price, but won't ship before January. While gap isn't everything to judge a razor, this one seems rather mild. It seems to be an Italian thing to notoriously put IMO unnecessary coating over good steel.

I saw a picture of the razor with a blade in it and it seems like a shallow angle shaver and the blade support doesn't look that great. The only good thing about it it's that the head has a slim profile. I still don't understand why almost all new razor heads are bulky and large given the fact that the technology nowadays is 1000 times more advanced than 40 + years ago, yet most of the vintage razors have a more slim design, which for me is way more appealing.

The other things that I find very frustrating is that the blade support of many of the modern razors is not very good and that almost all manufacturers favor shallow angle way more than steep. Having a well made steep angle razor with a good blade support, slim head profile and decent amount of efficiency would make most fancy looking ''high-end'' razors on the markets to feel like they were made by a caveman.

I saw a picture of the razor with a blade in it and it seems like a shallow angle shaver and the blade support doesn't look that great. The only good thing about it it's that the head has a slim profile. I still don't understand why almost all new razor heads are bulky and large given the fact that the technology nowadays is 1000 times more advanced than 40 + years ago, yet most of the vintage razors have a more slim design, which for me is way more appealing.

The other things that I find very frustrating is that the blade support of many of the modern razors is not very good and that almost all manufacturers favor shallow angle way more than steep. Having a well made steep angle razor with a good blade support, slim head profile and decent amount of efficiency would make most fancy looking ''high-end'' razors on the markets to feel like they were made by a caveman.
Cost I would guess. To hollow out the base place on a CNC machine will probably add another 20% milling time/cost. Whereas most of the vintage razors were cast, so the less material used the better :D

That aside, being a mildish razor, that would be swipe left for me. I am annoyed though that I wasn't able to order the Styletto... Goodfellas seem disinclined to ship to asia...

Cost I would guess. To hollow out the base place on a CNC machine will probably add another 20% milling time/cost. Whereas most of the vintage razors were cast, so the less material used the better :D

That aside, being a mildish razor, that would be swipe left for me. I am annoyed though that I wasn't able to order the Styletto... Goodfellas seem disinclined to ship to asia...

I was told that those razors are basically a bit more efficient and less smooth version of the Game Changer. If you want a bit more efficiency and you're ready to sacrifice a bit more of the smoothness, then that razor might be for you. I wanted to get one as well, but since the difference isn't that huge and I was also told that the blade support isn't very good either and I've decided to pass.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The "Styletto" is the more Game Changer inspired, as it also has similar blade clamping. For the Syntesi the area where baseplate and cap pinch the blade seems not nearly as wide.

But the blade could perhaps have a bit more support from above, can only guess without a blade inserted.

Something new from the Goodfellas (Italy) on preorder: the "Syntesi".

Seems it's a not quite Game Changer style razor, while looking similarly the blade clamping seems less pronounced.

"Developed entirely in 303 stainless steel coated with scratch-resistant hard chrome, Syntesi Safety Razor features a finish somewhere between polished and matt. Brilliant but without reflections, like the sand of the White sands desert (New Mexico) glistening in the scorching midday sun."
"The handle of the Syntesi safety razor features a Nylon safety washer pre-installed in the handle screw. This special housing locks the washer in place, preventing it from falling out."

Material: Stainless steel 303
Coating: Scratch-resistant hard chrome
Handle length: 80mm
Overall length: 87mm
Head width: 43mm
Head depth: 24mm
Blade gap: 0.62mm
Exposure: 0.02mm
Weight: 98gr
View attachment 1567511

It's on preorder at the Goodfellas website for a reduced price, but won't ship before January. While gap isn't everything to judge a razor, this one seems rather mild. It seems to be an Italian thing to notoriously put IMO unnecessary coating over good steel.
Very nice looking!

-Z

I like it and thought I was in because of the great pre-order price.
That was till I saw the shipping cost to the USA: $42.62!
That's $37 less than what the actual razor costs. That's nuts!!
I order from Europe all the time and pay less than half that shipping cost or
sometimes even free.
No thanks!

you just described he RR Lupo 😃

The "Styletto" is the more Game Changer inspired, as it also has similar blade clamping. For the Syntesi the area where baseplate and cap pinch the blade seems not nearly as wide.

But the blade could perhaps have a bit more support from above, can only guess without a blade inserted.
My guess is you are talking about the stainless steel Styletto. The aluminium Styletto is a very different design compared to the Game Changers. Actually I think their own Italian design. The bottom plate has 3 big circular indentations on each safety guard. Makes the razor a bit more aggressive to compansate for the small 0.56 gap.

Does anyone have this razor? I wonder if it's indeed a 45 degree or steep angle shaver as well as how efficient and smooth it is. I might buy this one in the meanwhile while I wait for the Blutt 1.20.

Bump!
Reviving this thread after 6 months of inactivity (I don't want to create another thread for this):

As I posted in December, up above on post #7:
When it came out, the Goodfella's store in Italy had a preorder available for like $70. I found it to be a fantastic deal until I saw the shipping cost to the States. I ended up passing on it!
After that, I noticed that very few USA vendors carried it and I would always see it out of stock. Well, today I received a discount coupon from Maggard razors and opened up their page to browse around. Right on the front page "under recently added products" they had the Syntesi advertised for sale and had only 3 in stock. I jumped on it and by the time I was checking out, it was down to 1 in stock. I got the last one!
With the Maggard coupon it was $88 delivered! Excellent in my book. Much cheaper than Decembers pre-order+shipping price. And I don't have to wait for it to come from Italy.
I'm very much looking forward to trying this one out.
I'll post a follow-up when it arrives and after the first shave!

Just looked at couple of suppliers, bad new is SOLD OUT, Price about $100.00 USD, think it is competition to RR GameChanger.
I think I picked up the last one available in the US (Maggard Razors). You can get it from Spain though for $96 delivered:

THE GOODFELLAS’ SMILE Syntesi stainless steel safety razor - https://yourshaving.com/gb/razors-and-blades/2345-1611-the-goodfellas-smile-syntesi-stainless-steel-safety-razor.html#/44-head-closed_comb

I've bought plenty of stuff from them and they're a great vendor. Only problem is that you have to wait a couple of weeks for anything to arrive. I got it from Maggard because they had the last one in stock and I had a coupon. If not I wouldn't have hesitated to get it from Yourshaving.com!

About the Gamechanger: It's absolutely nothing like the Gamechanger, period!
Everything about it is unique and original.
By the way,
I just had my first shave with it. I'm shocked at how good it is. And I have (and have had) many razors of all different tiers.
Smooth like butter, very close shave and that glasslike feel of the face when you're done.
Zero cons on this one!
Set the handle at 45 degrees (it's designed for that angle) and you get an awesome shave, period!
That slim head has to be the best edger I've ever tried on a DE razor.
Barely no blade gap, positive exposure and the slim (almost flat) head makes it very
unique and apparently gives it those perfect characteristics. The weight, the balance, the blade clamping, the look etc.. It's just fantastic!
I don't know what else to say except that this company blew it out of the park with the design.
I've been left speechless:oops:

Last edited:

And now they have released Aluminum version of Syntesi!

I'm very pleased with the performance of my aluminum Styletto and really curious about Syntesi.
From the looks/specs the gap are similar but the safety bar is thinner on Syntesi, I wonder if it will make Syntesi more nimble at places like nostril. Doesn't mean I need that though, Styletto already handles my entire face very well, without any tricky patches.

My local distributor have Stainless Steel Syntesi but doesn't have Aluminum version yet.
I'm, ahem, patiently, waiting for them stocking it.

And now they have released Aluminum version of Syntesi!

I'm very pleased with the performance of my aluminum Styletto and really curious about Syntesi.
From the looks/specs the gap are similar but the safety bar is thinner on Syntesi, I wonder if it will make Syntesi more nimble at places like nostril. Doesn't mean I need that though, Styletto already handles my entire face very well, without any tricky patches.

My local distributor have Stainless Steel Syntesi but doesn't have Aluminum version yet.
I'm, ahem, patiently, waiting for them stocking it.
And they also have an aluminum Syntesi that they call "velvet". The stainless is supposed to be the gentlest and the "velvet" aluminum is supposed to be like the stainless. As per their description, here are the differences:

1- Syntesi in steel is gentle and its weight and structure balance it towards an effective but calm and peaceful shave.
2- Syntesi in aluminum is light and lively and for this reason, it is more technical in use compared to its steel counterpart.
3- Syntesi Velvet is a union of intents. The modified geometry of the cap (both technically and aesthetically) makes this razor more similar to its steel counterpart despite its extreme lightness.

And here is the "velvet":

I just ordered a Styletto aluminum yesterday since it seems very different than the Stainless Syntesi.
I'm curious to compare the two!

Top Bottom