What's new

The good thing about science

"The good thing about science is that if you need a really big, like 95% fudge factor to make your equations work you can make up an undetectable, unmeasurable concept and call it 'dark matter', and the folks will be so impressed with your Phd, they won't bother calling you out on it."

-Doc Feelgood

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
“The game of science is, in principle, without end. He who decides one day that scientific statements do not call for any further test, and that they can be regarded as finally verified, retires from the game.”
-Karl Popper

$image.gif

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Try original quote is erroneous

TRUTH is true whether you believe in it or not.

Science is a methodology that endeavors to discover the truth, it is not unto itself a truth. Applied incorrectly, science will actually take you away from the truth. Applied correctly, and it most certainly can uncover what is true.

Is that a Niel Degrasse quote?

Degrasse said that science is true whether you believe it or not, but many scientists do not agree with his statement. More to the point, as you said, science seeks truth, but isn't truth in itself just because it is science.
Scientific research and discovery is conducted by man, and man is flawed, therefore our answers may be flawed.
That's the beauty of science, because even when we are wrong, and we are FREQUENTLY wrong, we seek to re examine and re verify.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1182327/

https://www.quora.com/What-do-you-t...at-its-true-whether-or-not-you-believe-in-it”

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Cheesecake is pie. It has a crust. Look at it. Is it made in a cake pan, or a pie plate? It certainly is not cake.

Boston cream pie, OTOH, is not pie. No crust. Cake pan. Leavened flour. It is a filled cake. I has spoken.

Scientific research and discovery is conducted by man, and man is flawed, therefore our answers may be flawed.
That's the beauty of science, because even when we are wrong, and we are FREQUENTLY wrong, we seek to re examine and re verify.
So there's a chance the Earth is still flat?! Thank god!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
So there's a chance the Earth is still flat?! Thank god!
I said may be flawed. We are pretty darned certain it isn't flat, but are we dead certain it is spheroid? There are stranger things in astrophysics than the possibility that our observation of things in the universe may not be what they appear to be after all.
Sagans' books are rife with examples.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Depends on the pie, Depends on the cake.
Boston Cream Pie is not Pie. Neither is cheesecake
From Wikipedia on cheesecake:
The early Greeks considered it a cake. Some modern authors point to the presence of many eggs, the sole source of leavening, as proof that it is a torte. Still others claim that the separate crust, the soft filling, and the absence of flour prove that it is a custard pie
Messed that one up. Should say "And cheesecake is not cake"

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
As mentioned, science is a process that requires constant, ruthless reevaluation.

For the betterment of scientific knowledge and the human race, I shall consume vast quantities of BOTH pie AND cake.

Keep your eye on the major journals for the results.

Top Bottom