What's new

The good old summertime

When I used to shave with a razor blade I always used hot water to soften the beard similarly to barbers using hot towels. I’m surprised that you can’t detect a difference between using hit verses cold water.
I shave after a shower, even with an 'old man's wire beard' that seems to do enough to prep and soften the stubble, hot water while actually shaving doesn't make a difference for me. YMMV.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
My difference is DE in the summer and electric in the winter.

I wasn't either / or, but when I did used my electric regularly, I did it less in the summer. For me it came down to humidity / sweat.

I like my electric shaves on dry skin with a little Williams 'Lectric shave and that is it. If the skin is clammy or moist in any way, the foils don't glide as smooth and I never liked the feel of the shave. At those times, I'd always wet shave.

It wasn't until the other day reading another discussion post that I thought about the fact that for electric shaving, I don't want a hydrated beard or skin, the drier the better. Basically the opposite of what I like for using a razor.

I wasn't either / or, but when I did used my electric regularly, I did it less in the summer. For me it came down to humidity / sweat.

I like my electric shaves on dry skin with a little Williams 'Lectric shave and that is it. If the skin is clammy or moist in any way, the foils don't glide as smooth and I never liked the feel of the shave. At those times, I'd always wet shave.

It wasn't until the other day reading another discussion post that I thought about the fact that for electric shaving, I don't want a hydrated beard or skin, the drier the better. Basically the opposite of what I like for using a razor.

That’s the same for me . But wet shaving in winter never seemed natural. Also had a beard for many a year.

I understand completely. However, having air conditioning removes the moisture from the air. When I didn’t have AC a long time ago, I used a preshave powder which dried my face and allowed the shaver to smoothly glide over my skin.

Since the advent of electric shavers that can be used wet or dry, shaving wet with shaving cream and in the shower removes the need to have a dry face to shave in warm humid environments.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Since the advent of electric shavers that can be used wet or dry, shaving wet with shaving cream and in the shower removes the need to have a dry face to shave in warm humid environments.

True, but personally, I still haven't cracked the code on using them wet. Not that I've tried a ton, but so far I need slippery soaps. Maybe thin Cremo or similar. I tried a couple of different soaps I lathered that are normally slick enough for wet shaving, but I had more drag than I liked with the electric.

True, but personally, I still haven't cracked the code on using them wet. Not that I've tried a ton, but so far I need slippery soaps. Maybe thin Cremo or similar. I tried a couple of different soaps I lathered that are normally slick enough for wet shaving, but I had more drag than I liked with the electric.
I’ve never tried it but you have just confirmed my suspicion that wet shaving with an electric shaver is a gimmick. Joesph Shick invented the electric shaver to replace wet shaving during WWI and modern marketeers have figured out a way to undermine his work. Let’s combine electric shaving with water and shaving cream to increase the time and trouble it takes to shave. And, this is progress?

Labor Day is the traditional end of summer. Does anyone change their shaving routine for winter?

I tend to use a scuttle to warm my lather on the coldest days. Or i'll let my ceramic bowl stay in the sink with hot water to keep the lather warm. Otherwise, same routine.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Labor Day is the traditional end of summer. Does anyone change their shaving routine for winter?
The only thing I switch up is aftershave lotions. But I'm addicted to lime, so I've been known to use lime scents in winter. Oh, for shame!

Interesting that you go back to electric shaving in the winter rather than the other way around.
I always thought the humid weather made the electric razor harder to use. I would use it dry.And using a regular bladed razor in the winter tends to dry the skin to much. Also much faster shaving with the Braun.

I always thought the humid weather made the electric razor harder to use. I would use it dry.And using a regular bladed razor in the winter tends to dry the skin to much. Also much faster shaving with the Braun.
I agree and used preshave powder before shaving to absorb the perspiration. However, since having central air conditioning the problem went away. Obviously, the Braun like any electric shaver is faster and safer.

Which model Braun shaver are you using?

I agree and used preshave powder before shaving to absorb the perspiration. However, since having central air conditioning the problem went away. Obviously, the Braun like any electric shaver is faster and safer.

Which model Braun shaver are you using?
Series 3 , model # 340 I think, bought in 2010.

You have gotten nine years of use from it. How often have you changed the screens and cutters? Does the battery still hold a good charge?
The reason it has lasted so long is I have had a beard on and off , mainly on for about 20 years. The screen was changed only once. The battery is starting to show its age. Considering buying a new model.

Top Bottom