What's new

The Golden Nib Silvertip Grade A

Does anyone have any experience with TGN’s silvertip grade A knot? I just bought a new brush handle and I need a new knot. I like soft tips and splay in my brushes.

Kirk

Does anyone have any experience with TGN’s silvertip grade A knot? I just bought a new brush handle and I need a new knot. I like soft tips and splay in my brushes.

Kirk
The grade A was good for me, but if you like soft, get the Premium. Same backbone in both knots, just softer tips on the Premium.

Premium might be my all time fave.

... Just my two cents.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Premium is very soft with just enough backbone and has been working for me. No regrets.

Best of luck AJ

I had a grade a silvertip about 8 years ago and it was scratchy for me.

I was so disappointed as it didn't feel anything like what a silvertip should feel like.

Not sure of their current stock but I for one would not recommend the grade A.

The premium is great and their two band is also excellent.

Another thing about the grade a is that mine started out just a little prickly but after 15 uses or so it was fine and you couldn't feel any of that.

Another thing about the grade a is that mine started out just a little prickly but after 15 uses or so it was fine and you couldn't feel any of that.

Talk about batch variance.

I used mine for over a month and sold it off as it as too scratchy.

Pity too because I had purchased a beautiful wood handle from Tony@TGN for the knot.

I have been happier with TGN Finest than with any of their Silvertips. If you have to have a Silvertip I would look elsewhere. If you want an exceptional Finest go ahead with TGN. For Silvertips I have had better success with ACE, Virginia Sheng, and Whipped Dog. For an even nicer Finest, look at Maggards.

There is a brush making sub forum below this one where you may find more people hanging out with knot selection experience.

Top Bottom