What's new

The Golden Nib Knot Quick Reference Chart

Hokay,

I'm sad, I admit it. I've been looking to see what knots are available from Tony @ The Golden Nib for a handle that I'm waiting on and haven't even recieved yet ( so I actually have NO idea what size knot I'll need ).

Each time I do this I need to look at on the website at each knot, in each catagory and see what price it'll be and what loft I'll end up with and put things into shopping carts to compare prices and...... etc.....

This might make it easier for those who do this a bit ( other saddos like me :tongue_sm )

I've concentrated on the "higher" end knots.

So once you've cleaned out an old knot you can:

1. Measure the knot hole size
2. Measure the knot hole depth
3. See a quick price comparison of each grade of knot
4. Look across and see what default loft you'll get with each grade of knot .
5. Work out how far you'll need to renovate to get a certain loft with a given knot.

Hopefully this doesn't cause a problem with B&B or with Tony and if it does, please let me know.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Thanks Ian...now I know I have a few more knots to try...that 23mm UK knot is tempting me...will decide if I'm ready to give in once my 20mm UK arrives :)

Great post! Good work. I was just gonna link this to Chad since I know he's doing a brush restore, but he already beat me to the thread! :thumbup:

Fantastic help! But, I still have trouble understanding just how deep do you know to place the knot into the handle? I've seen it described as a function of how much loft you want, but wouldn't that depend on the knot itself. There's gotta be an optimum depth I'm thinking, but maybe not. Experience along this question will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Well I've now got 2 handles on their way from Canada....

More excuses to peruse TGN........

( Still don't know what size EITHER of them will take ). :001_tongu

Fantastic help! But, I still have trouble understanding just how deep do you know to place the knot into the handle? I've seen it described as a function of how much loft you want, but wouldn't that depend on the knot itself. There's gotta be an optimum depth I'm thinking, but maybe not. Experience along this question will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Much is the pity a lot of it is personal preference. There's no hard and fast rules that we can give you. There are so many factors involved, how you lather ( bowl, face ), how dense you like your brush ( and yes this will also be a factor of the knot ), even aesthetics comes into play. That being said, it'll only do your mind in if you overanalyse it like some of us ( we have to sound like "experts" somehow).

In the end as long as it puts lather onya mug...... :001_tongu

Last edited:
Quick Addendum here:

proxy.php

proxy.php

YMMV !!! :lol:

( There's also a copy of the quick ref chart above ( pricing is still current ) and this ranking next to each other in my wiki page ( see sig ) )

Hope this helps :001_smile

Last edited:
Thanks so much for doing this Ian. I have two handles awaiting a restore and this will help speed up my decision making process when the time comes.

Top notch!

Oh man, this thread should be a sticky!

Anyone who has restored brushes using TGN knots would wish something like this was available...what a fantastic reference, great work Ian!!!

Top Bottom