What's new

The glue pot of misery...?

S

shavingrace

Just received a superb looking brush with a wooden handle, the supplier of which must remain nameless for the moment. On one side of the handle, at its leading edge, near the base of the bristles themselves, small traces of glue appear. Now, this doesn't really detract from the overall high quality appearance of the brush, but it bugs me, because I am a sick OCD freak, who collects and uses the best for fun and pleasure (of a kind). May I ask for your opinions, Gentlemen? Have you ever encountered such a thing on a top-level brush?

shavingrace said:
Just received a superb looking brush with a wooden handle, the supplier of which must remain nameless for the moment. On one side of the handle, at its leading edge, near the base of the bristles themselves, small traces of glue appear. Now, this doesn't really detract from the overall high quality appearance of the brush, but it bugs me, because I am a sick OCD freak, who collects and uses the best for fun and pleasure (of a kind). May I ask for your opinions, Gentlemen? Have you ever encountered such a thing on a top-level brush?

Don't worry about it. As previously noted - the Large Rooney #1 "Finest" I have has the same ailment. It should not change the performance, or impact the efficacy of the brush - but yeah... for guys like you and I who inspect items with a fine tooth comb, it is pretty annoying. Unless it is REALLY bad and REALLY noticible, I would say girt your teeth and try to ignore it. :biggrin: - I'll try to take pics of the glue on the Rooney right now...

full

Last edited by a moderator:
S

shavingrace

joel said:
Don't worry about it. As previously noted - the Large Rooney #1 "Finest" I have has the same ailment. It should not change the performance, or impact the efficacy of the brush - but yeah... for guys like you and I who inspect items with a fine tooth comb, it is pretty annoying. Unless it is REALLY bad and REALLY noticible, I would say girt your teeth and try to ignore it. :biggrin: - I'll try to take pics of the glue on the Rooney right now...

You're a prince of a fellow, Joel: you've made me feel a bucket-load better, particularly since I am describing a tiny amount of excess glue...but as you rightly state, guys like us are wired differently. I will now divulge the maker, because the brush is not only gorgeous--I'll take pics a little later--but wonderful to use, as well; the design is typical Shavemac, rounded and tightly packed, and the little thing whips up lather like a champ. For the money, one simply cannot get better than Shavemac--their stuff is really good. Thanks for the kind words, brother!

Regards,

Phil

I find that Bernd sets his bristles much higher in the handle than other makers. This actually annoys me a bit, since as you say you can see the epoxy. Compare to Vulfix, Savile Row, etc. where the knot is deep in the handle.

Scotto said:
I find that Bernd sets his bristles much higher in the handle than other makers. This actually annoys me a bit, since as you say you can see the epoxy. Compare to Vulfix, Savile Row, etc. where the knot is deep in the handle.
Interesting observation, but that seems to fly in the face of the conventional wisdom about Shavemacs and SR's... (hehe!):001_rolle

guenron said:
Interesting observation, but that seems to fly in the face of the conventional wisdom about Shavemacs and SR's... (hehe!):001_rolle
Well, we know that Charles has his manufacturer build them to his exact specifications, so perhaps not. The mystery lives on.

S

shavingrace

My SR 3128 hadn't a spec of glue to be found anywhere! And my Shavemac XL #436 was utterly perfect, as well (I gave the thing to my cousin: his saliva had corrupted the integrity of the brush--it's just sad to watch a grown man lust after a tool...if you see where I'm going with this one). This lovely little olive wood brush is gorgeous, and the tiny glue specs that Joel put my mind at ease about do not detract from its beauty or its function. Any handmade product can suffer a small flaw; in fact, it is rather a garantee of hand work. And by the way, my Vulfix #41 had glue spots at the top of the handle, near the base of the bristle knot. It happens on occasion. I am stupidly detail-oriented, so this kind of thing affects me more than most. But I have now made my peace with this brush. It's a beautiful little thing, and my wife likes it best of all, which is good, since the lady has no idea how serious my affliction really is....

Regards,

Phil

Top Bottom