What's new

The Glock Knife. Discuss

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Of course the Glock Knife is considered a joke in real knife circles. I know that.

🤔 But is it really that bad?

proxy.php

I just found mine today, after being lost outside for a couple of years. It had minor rust on an inch of edge, that's all! Guess that paint coating - or molded sheath - worked.

I carried the thing for many miles as a BOB knife. If it got used, it was minor use. They are light and the root saw works.

Has its own wiki, there are two basic models. It can be a bayonet, if a plug is removed.

It halfway serves as a dagger. Surely can pry open boxes. Arguably a stronger tip than our own beloved Ka-Bar. 🇺🇸

🤔 Maybe they are not that bad after all... Got one?

AA

For outdoors use, and a knife you'll have to lug around all day along with the rest of your gear, IMO you want something light but capable like the Mora Classic 2.

Scandi grind is easy to keep sharp.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Lost outside for a couple of years?
lol
Ok we need more backstory here. Im imagining… ok so I was drunk in the backyard and after I passed out I lost my glock knife…😂😜😁

Ad Astra

The Instigator
For outdoors use, and a knife you'll have to lug around all day along with the rest of your gear, IMO you want something light but capable like the Mora Classic 2.

Scandi grind is easy to keep sharp.

Yes. Moras are wonderful and I've had one in use as a "garage knife" for almost 20 years!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Lost outside for a couple of years?
lol
Ok we need more backstory here. Im imagining… ok so I was drunk in the backyard and after I passed out I lost my glock knife…😂😜😁

I don't drink alcohol, but I also have no idea or excuse how this knife wound up where it did... 🤔 I was certain I'd put it in a sealed bucket of freeze dried chow, but no. Eventually I gave up looking and bought another! 🤣 So now I have two of these semi-crappy-perhaps knives.

🤔 Possibly a raccoon took it?

AA

Eben Stone

Staff member
I like knives but dont really collect them. I have a few useless beautiful knives in display cases, but they are put away in storage ATM. I typically like to have one useful fighting/hunting knife and 2 or 3 EDC. Who cares if your fighting/hunting knife is ugly as long as it works.

The only problem I have with that glock knife is its doesn't have a skull crusher pommel. That's a feature I really like to have.

Any ideas what kind of tang it has? Hopefully not a rat tail.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I like knives but dont really collect them. I have a few useless beautiful knives in display cases, but they are put away in storage ATM. I typically like to have one useful fighting/hunting knife and 2 or 3 EDC. Who cares if your fighting/hunting knife is ugly as long as it works.

The only problem I have with that glock knife is its doesn't have a skull crusher pommel. That's a feature I really like to have.

Any ideas what kind of tang it has? Hopefully not a rat tail.

I just looked online... It's a square tang, fairly wide.

These things are used as throwers, and are said to hold up in that role - fairly hard on most knives.

AA

This was my service knife in the late 90ies together with a private purchase Spyderco C07 Police. What shall I say. The steel is barely hardened SK5? The coating is quite crappy and the grind and angle is quite obtuse.

It works as:
a) a Poker that’s what it was designed for and never as a field knife. There is even a mounting option for the AUG although not used in the Austrian Armed Forces.
b) excellent blade for batoning due to the wedge geometry and softness of the steel
c) the worlds best incorporated cap lifter and the most used feature during my stint :a17:

ps the shown version is for civilian use as saw backs are forbidden by the Hague convention. At least that was what they told us in regards to being issued only the plain version…

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This was my service knife in the late 90ies together with a private purchase Spyderco C07 Police. What shall I say. The steel is barely hardened SK5? The coating is quite crappy and the grind and angle is quite obtuse.

It works as:
a) a Poker that’s what it was designed for and never as a field knife. There is even a mounting option for the AUG although not used in the Austrian Armed Forces.
b) excellent blade for batoning due to the wedge geometry and softness of the steel
c) the worlds best incorporated cap lifter and the most used feature during my stint :a17:

ps the shown version is for civilian use as saw backs are forbidden by the Hague convention. At least that was what they told us in regards to being issued only the plain version…

Thanks for your point of view!

🤔 It may be (the saw back). WWI German Pioneer units had a sawback bayo, promptly called a butcher blade, with Allied promises of shooting any capturee with one. 🤔 Some examples have the sawback ground off.

I do "hammock hike," so frequently need a saw for small branches.

AA

Thanks for your point of view!

🤔 It may be (the saw back). WWI German Pioneer units had a sawback bayo, promptly called a butcher blade, with Allied promises of shooting any capturee with one. 🤔 Some examples have the sawback ground off.

I do "hammock hike," so frequently need a saw for small branches.

AA
I found that the saw on a SAK makes short work of anything up to 2 inches. Can you really do more than score a notch with the Glock?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I found that the saw on a SAK makes short work of anything up to 2 inches. Can you really do more than score a notch with the Glock?
Much more often I carry a folding Fiskars saw, and a Spyderco folder! 🤣 Or the Fiskars pruning snip, since we have a lot of thorny vines. They can tear a hammock easily.

AA

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I've had two of these. It's an interesting case. As it is - it is indeed horrible. But not because of the design, but because of the extremely poor execution. The design itself, in my opinion, is very good, and can be easily turned into a very good knife. But that will have to lead to much larger expenditure on each unit, and the end-cost would be much higher.

Top Bottom