What's new

The Glock 20: Greenland’s Sidearm of Choice

I'd still much rather have a large bore revolver for polar bears if I were those guys. Of course, where I am the biggest white mammal I see regularly is at any given hamburger joint and for some of those monsters you'd need a .577 Nitro if they charged you!! :yikes: :D ;)

proxy.php

3324CF07-5707-4E7E-BDE5-81C642FA9CEF.jpeg
D709C79B-857E-496C-98BF-FA216A4E0BB7.jpeg

The 10mm is fine and dandy...I like my Ruger 10mm quite a bit...but in a big and dangerous game situation, .44 Magnum. Accept nothing less.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My Glock 20 trigger was way too heavy, breaking at over 7 pounds. So I detail stripped it, cleaning the firing pin channel, safety plunger channel and extractor and ejector.

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Then I gave it a 25 cent trigger job, polishing all metal internals. Trigger bar, crucible, extractor, safety plunger and plunger rod. Dropped in a Ghost 6.0 trigger spring, and a Ghost 'Ultimate' 3.5 trigger connector. Also polished the feed ramp.

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

OkieStubble

And it's almost ready to be a bear gun. :) I have a 10mm stainless steel match grade barrel with fully supported chamber and black nitride finish coming in from KKM Precision. Ran me $185 plus tax & shipping. Also have installed Trijicon HD night sights.

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
And it's almost ready to be a bear gun. :) I have a 10mm stainless steel match grade barrel with fully supported chamber and black nitride finish coming in from KKM Precision. Ran me $185 plus tax & shipping. Also have installed Trijicon HD night sights.
That’s a fine Gen 4, Okie ... in fact, if Lincoln Riley carried, I have no doubts that there’d be 20 on his hip! I look forward to hearing range &/or hog hunting(?) reports.

That said, and while I absolutely like & enjoy my two Glocks (the other, a 31), it never fails to humor me that a pistol affectionately referred to as ‘Glock Perfection’ has more aftermarket slide, frame, barrel & component options than any other sidearm, save perhaps the 1911. :)

I’ve gone through three 20s, swapping them out with each successive generation; after putting a friend’s Gen 4 through its paces, I fixated on the Gen 3. I run the 20 below with a Bar-Sto barrel; an Aro-Tek titanium guide rod (22# spring); Trijicons; an extended mag release & slide stop and the Houge Handall. I have never fiddled with the trigger &/or springs, but who knows, perhaps that’s next.

When fly fishing in bear, cat, moose & now, the California transplant (aka, the Moorish invaders) infested high-country here in CO, the 20 is a constant companion ... when the forays find me far off the beaten path up in the NW WY & Western MT back-country, the 500 (also) comes out of the safe.

[url=https://ibb.co/q7gZ3MM]

proxy.php
[/url]

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Those magrum pistols sure look nice. So far my heaviest hitting Glock is a .45 ACP, might need a 10 mm down the line.

OkieStubble

That’s a fine Gen 4, Okie ... in fact, if Lincoln Riley carried, I have no doubts that there’d be 20 on his hip! I look forward to hearing range &/or hog hunting(?) reports.

That said, and while I absolutely like & enjoy my two Glocks (the other, a 31), it never fails to humor me that a pistol affectionately referred to as ‘Glock Perfection’ has more aftermarket slide, frame, barrel & component options than any other sidearm, save perhaps the 1911. :)

I’ve gone through three 20s, swapping them out with each successive generation; after putting a friend’s Gen 4 through its paces, I fixated on the Gen 3. I run the 20 below with a Bar-Sto barrel; an Aro-Tek titanium guide rod (22# spring); Trijicons; an extended mag release & slide stop and the Houge Handall. I have never fiddled with the trigger &/or springs, but who knows, perhaps that’s next.

When fly fishing in bear, cat, moose & now, the California transplant (aka, the Moorish invaders) infested high-country here in CO, the 20 is a constant companion ... when the forays find me far off the beaten path up in the NW WY & Western MT back-country, the 500 (also) comes out of the safe.

Agree 100% on Coach! :)

Both of your pistols look really nice. That .500 looks mean! :) I was going to go bar-sto also for my lead cast barrel, but instead went with KKM. I have read nothing but great things about KKM, and it seems like a quality barrel, though It remains to be seen if they are up to Bar-Sto's standard of quality.

I just couldn't resist that they will also give the barrel a black Nitride finish all for $185 clams. :) I like your slide stop extension. I need to get that next. Question: I went Gen4 with it because everything I have read says, the stock Gen4 recoil springs can handle the hot, hard cast loads.

Should I still go aftermarket on another spring?

OkieStubble

Those magrum pistols sure look nice. So far my heaviest hitting Glock is a .45 ACP, might need a 10 mm down the line.

The 10mm Glock is a dream to shoot. At least for 200 gr. Gold Dot. Haven't tried the hot & heavy BB's yet. Shoots like a very smooth .45 to me. The Glock is light and absorbs recoil better then most other pistols I have experienced.

It truly does amaze me. The 10 pound "Glock Wall" was the only thing killing my groups on my last outing. The trigger is consistently breaking at 3.2 now. So we will see soon. :)

OkieStubble

I'm thinking the 3.2 would make even me look good, lol.

It being too light will be my only concern. The Ultimate connector from Ghost is what most Glock 20 owners looking for a lighter pull go with, which usually puts them around 3.5 pounds of pull. But most of them are competition or target shooters.

I also put a 6 pound trigger spring in it, so I'll have to get out and shoot it and see what it's like. If I feel like it's too light, Ghost has a "Tactical 5.0" connector they advertise for Defense & Hunting. I can switch to it and along with the 6 pound trigger spring, probably get around a 4-ish pound pull, which I think would probably be perfect. we'll see.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Then I gave it a 25 cent trigger job, polishing all metal internals. Trigger bar, crucible, extractor, safety plunger and plunger rod. Dropped in a Ghost 6.0 trigger spring, and a Ghost 'Ultimate' 3.5 trigger connector. Also polished the feed ramp.

View attachment 993152

View attachment 993153

View attachment 993154

View attachment 993156

No wonder you haven't bought a 1911 yet. :001_smile That thing sounds like it's going to be a sweet machine though!

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Agree 100% on Coach! :)

Both of your pistols look really nice. That .500 looks mean! :) I was going to go bar-sto also for my lead cast barrel, but instead went with KKM. I have read nothing but great things about KKM, and it seems like a quality barrel, though It remains to be seen if they are up to Bar-Sto's standard of quality.

I just couldn't resist that they will also give the barrel a black Nitride finish all for $185 clams. :) I like your slide stop extension. I need to get that next. Question: I went Gen4 with it because everything I have read says, the stock Gen4 recoil springs can handle the hot, hard cast loads.

Should I still go aftermarket on another spring?
Ironically, it was Glock’s early Gen 4 recoil spring issues/recalls that swayed me into staying with the Gen 3; this even though those issues preceded the release of the Model 20. Many a Glockster got up on their hind legs over early Gen 4 teething issues :)

As with you, I have also heard that the stock (Gen 4) 20# dual spring set-up works just fine with most every load ... I like the way HK’s dual recoil springs (& nylon bushings) tame .40 S&W, .45 & .357 Sig rounds & as such, I’d be inclined to stay stock with the Gen 4, unless of course the 2O hiccups with hotter/heavier loads/bullets.

I went with Bar-Sto because of all the good things I had heard & read about Irv Stone & his barrels ... some of which preceded both KKM & the Model 20 by some two decades. I also run a Bar-Sto in a P226 (.357 Sig) & just like the 20, there’s a marked accuracy improvement over the stock Sig & Glock barrels. Though I can’t speak for KKM, I have never, ever heard, seen or read bad press when it comes to their offerings ... just excellent results & reviews. One thing I have read is that button rifled Bar-Sto & KKM barrels do negate bullet tumbling, which can be an issue when firing heavy 10mm rounds in polygonal Glock barrels.

I was so happy when Bob ‘Big Game’ Stoops decided to call it quits ... as far as I’m concerned, he couldn’t find his a@@ with both hands when it came to the “big games”! He went one-for-four in Nat. Title games & the one win, against Florida State, was with Coach Blake’s recruits (Josh Huepel, Quinten Griffin, Roy Williams, etc...)! And while I’m at it, Riley got off on the wrong foot by taking the ball out of Mayfield’s hands during the second-half of the Georgia playoff game! Okay, end of rant...
Sooner born, Sooner bred & when I die I’ll be Sooner red ... or, Crimson as it were :)

Oh yea, though he’s not talking Glocks nor 10mms, this video is an excellent resource for walking one’s pistol into its correct recoil spring:

Last edited:
Top Bottom