What's new

The Gillette Senator

Hi folks,
I'd like to share with you my shaving experience with the Gillette open comb Senator. First a little background. This one piece TTO razor came out right after the highly expensive and successful 1934 Aristocrat. Where the Aristocrat was heavily gold plated, came in a beautiful case and cost around $6, the Senator which came out in 1938, my birth year, was nickel plated, came in a cardboard box and sold for $.69.

OK. Now for the shave. This is what I used.
View attachment 54209

This razor is well used. There is some plating loss but it operates as smoothly as it should.
In the photo you should see the C&E Nomad, the Rooney 3/1 Special super and the red IP. The Rooney and the Nomad make up one great lather making machine. The Senator and the IP gave me one of the smoothest shaves I ever had, and most of my shaves are smooth no matter the razor. It is hard to describe the aggressiveness of this razor because of the open comb. But I can say it is a little less aggressive then the '34 Aristocrat and maybe about the same as a '49 Super Speed.
I can also say that if you haven't experienced a shave with these vintage open comb Gillette's, you're cheating yourself of a fine experience.
These razors are not easy to find and may be expensive in very good to excellent condition, but if you do, get it. This razor's made for shaving.
And as a last bit of pampering I finished off with the Penthaligon Blenheim Bouquet after shave balm. It doesn't get any better then this.

Len

That's a nice looking razor. Len. Even with a little plating loss, it's nice and shiny. Nice review, and it's good to see that you found your birth-year razor fits you so well! :cool:

Completely agree. Used a senator for the first time a couple weeks ago, and it has become one of my favorites already. I've been using iridiums in mine. The combo gives a close, irritation free shave.

Oh well....looks as if I am going to be dragging mine outta mothballs and give it another try this weekend.

Completely agree. Used a senator for the first time a couple weeks ago, and it has become one of my favorites already. I've been using iridiums in mine. The combo gives a close, irritation free shave.

I will have to try mine with the Iridiums. I have been using Gillette Yellows with the Senator and get a very close shave but always manage to get a nick or two. :mad3: Maybe I have not settled on the right blade for this particular razor.

I too bought one of these recently as part of my "all silver" transition. It's a lovely little razor, not nearly as heavy as the barberpole models but it gives a very pleasant, fairly mild shave. I like the lack of a bar between the doors - seems to give cleaner lines somehow. I've run it with Feathers, BICs and iridiums and got consistently good shaves with a fine looking razor.

great razor!

I bring mine into play regularly - why, only Wednesday, in fact!

one of my favorite - enjoy enjoy enjoy!

I have the gold-plated Sheraton.... same razor, AFIK.

Lovely razor, but the head on mine is down to pure brass- no plating left whatsoever.

It is a very nice, well-balanced, great shaving razor.

It's good, BUT.... not good enough to dethrone the 40s Superspeed from top of my rotation right now....

Barry

V

VR6ofpain

I have been eyeing that exact brush at vintageblades. That is the Special 3-1 in the "coral" color, correct? Anymore photos? What do you think of the knot?

Len lovely review and pic. Thanks for posting this. The open combs have a bad rep as to aggressiveness. I would overstate the argument, the open comb is a completely irrelevant factor in terms of aggressiveness. The open Aristocrat is a very forgiving TTO, the open comb New Standards (fixed head), also very forgiving. Now to get to the elected official at hand, the Senator, I have not had the pleasure, but Len sure peeks one's interest! We need a well used example for the Consortium pool.:wink:

I have been eyeing that exact brush at vintageblades. That is the Special 3-1 in the "coral" color, correct? Anymore photos? What do you think of the knot?

Hi Gabe. Yes this is the 3/1 special in Coral. I didn't take any more photos of the razor or the brush. What would you like to see? I believe the handle color is pretty accurate.

The knot is a perfect match for the loft of this brush. It is very tight and gives a nice bloom although I've only used the brush maybe 6 or 7 times so it may not be broken in yet. I only use soap with this brush but so far it has given me high quality lather from Nomad, Tabac, MWF and English Fern. No complaints.

Len

Hi Gabe. Yes this is the 3/1 special in Coral. I didn't take any more photos of the razor or the brush. What would you like to see? I believe the handle color is pretty accurate.

The knot is a perfect match for the loft of this brush. It is very tight and gives a nice bloom although I've only used the brush maybe 6 or 7 times so it may not be broken in yet. I only use soap with this brush but so far it has given me high quality lather from Nomad, Tabac, MWF and English Fern. No complaints.

Len

I've been eyeing that brush too. Are you using pure or silvertip?

Len lovely review and pic. Thanks for posting this. The open combs have a bad rep as to aggressiveness. I would overstate the argument, the open comb is a completely irrelevant factor in terms of aggressiveness. The open Aristocrat is a very forgiving TTO, the open comb New Standards (fixed head), also very forgiving. Now to get to the elected official at hand, the Senator, I have not had the pleasure, but Len sure peeks one's interest! We need a well used example for the Consortium pool.:wink:

Thanks. I enjoyed writing it. I have been trying to shave with as many vintage Gillette's as I can and as they become available. I'm now into open combs and I must admit I was a little worried they may be a little too aggressive after reading a few comments. The first was the '34 Aristocrat. That was a very pleasant surprise, a very nice close shave and super smooth. BBS the first time. Next came the Senator, equally smooth but not quite as close. But after 3 passes and a buff, still BBS. I might move from the IP to an Astra next time. I have a very nice New coming in next week. I'm anxious to try that. To me there is added appeal to the open comb. I enjoy using them even though the end result is the same as my Super Speeds.

Len

I reacently saw one of these on ebay, and it didnt hit it's reserve. It is now for sale for 129. Are these that extreemly rare that is is worth such a hight price?

Top Bottom