What's new

The Gillette open comb razors and their differentiating shaving properties

Thank you for your kind words. No I'm pretty sure the last production year of the LC was 1947. That's when the last British sets where produced. Mr Razor homepage has got a picture of it with black Bakelite box and a slimmer version of the fat tech handle. Is one of those razors I also own, and I'm proud to say i that it's still got the celloide wrapping around the head. I don't own the 1934 Aristocrat, I wish I did, but in good condition they tend to be extremely expensive, but perhaps one day. I'm sorry not for mentioning them, but there where a lot of versions made.

Welcome to B&B, and well done! I think many here would agree with your opinion that the Gillette New Long Comb was the epitome of razor design.

I know a guy who has said that from time to time.

Nice write up polarbeard, and welcome.

Dear Brother Polarbeard,

Thank you for an outstanding article and the beautiful pictures! I have a collection of about 40 DE razors, including the ones you wrote about. While I didn't agree with every point you made I do think the overall article was wonderful and worth reading by all. Congratulations!

One possible error: I believe the Gillette NEW ceased production in 1940 or 1941, not 1947. Was 1947 a typo? And I was sorry you ignored the Gillette Aristocrat, 1934-1936, which is my #1 favorite razor for shaving and my #1 favorite also for appearance. It is a very aggressive OC razor that when tamed with a slightly mild quality blade gives my coarse 77 year old whiskers a most smooth, close, and long lasting BBS shave of perhaps 12 hours.

Any chance you might do a similar article on single edge razors of that era?

I look forward to future articles from you of this high standard of quality. Please don't keep us waiting too long! :001_rolle

NEW model were made into the 1947's, it is not a typo.

Nice razors and thanks for sharing your thoughts. Also, your English is flawless and much better than many, many native speakers.

NEW model were made into the 1947's, it is not a typo.
Thank you Alex. I have followed your posts with great interest over time, and I´ve always found them extremely informative and, when I´ve had any knowledge, in line with my own experience. I attach a picture of what I believe is one of the very last Long Combs ever produced; The British #77 set from 1947.
$2014-05-16 17.01.13.jpg

Nice razors and thanks for sharing your thoughts. Also, your English is flawless and much better than many, many native speakers.
Thank you that´s most kind of you:blushing: or as we say in my languish: Tack det var väldigt snällt av dig

Just wanted to thanks for your write up. I just received a Gillette New SC last week and I think it's about my favorite razor so far. What I really liked was the history, it makes shaving with the vintage Gillette's more enjoyable for me...:thumbup:

Welcome to B&B, and well done! I think many here would agree with your opinion that the Gillette New Long Comb was the epitome of razor design.
I agree...the New Long Combs are fantastic...but I get a REALLY smooth, BBS shave from the New Improved.
It's almost as good a shave as I get from my ATT R2.

Thank you,
As i wrote in the article my personal opinion is that the Gillette Long Comb is the best of the Gillettes. My favourite however is the New Improved for its beauty. I own six of them, four are Tuckaways. That short Tuckaway handle fits so well between my thumb and index finger and makes "no pressure" a piece of cake. I always keep one of them on my desk so I can admire it's beauty. The only modern equivalent I can think of is the Joris with full palladium handle. But that beauty doesn't have the same as amount of elegance even though it's an fantastic shaver. If i find it as good a shaver as the ATT I'll get back to you on, but they do unfortunately have one thing in common: the pricetag.

thanks
nice to see your thoughts and pics on these razors
it's been quite a while since i drove my OLD or NEW razors and you've inspired me to compare them
i'll have to make a mental note as to the aggression of each for me
i seem to remember my OLD as feeling very aggressive so I'll check it for skew too

That's what I think of too Doc. I don't have a #77, but I do have that old 7 O'clock short comb three piece that resembles a #77. I would like to have a nice #77 someday. This is what I have:

$unnamed (6).jpg

$unnamed (7).jpg

Top Bottom