What's new

The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
On two weeks holiday at the moment. First week away this week home. Finally re-started going through some things to basically get rid of. Started on caps, who needs 45 baseball caps when they very rarely wear a hat. Polo shirts coming out my ears. Why do we do it? I am definately finding it tough as I hate parting with anything but I did promise LOTH that I would do something about my clutter. Still on baby steps.

Good on you!

If those caps, polos, etc were whisked away by a strong wind, how many would you replace? Six? Ten? Twelve?

Pick out your favorite few, then sell, donate, or discard the rest. You can do it!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've been meaning to thin out possessions for some time, but never really got momentum with it. I don't automatically replace things that break, wear out, or go missing, which has thinned the wardrobe and other areas a little, but there's still way more junk in my house that doesn't contribute to my life in any way. However, I might be moving house next year, so this has given me a little more impotus, as I don't want to be taking stuff that won't be part of my life in the new place.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have been carting stuff around for years and some of it has never been used. Been in this place for 14 years. Have accumulated far too much, clothes, watches, clocks , golf clubs, I have 7 lawnmowers, admittedly some are projects but you only need one mower to mow grass. I always have to have a spare or three. Don't start me on books and magazines.

Once you get beyond the lugubrious title of this thread, it makes good sense as a reminder to move stuff on a lot more often and more quickly. Like a LOT more often and quickly.

I have two bags of "stuff" going to the thrift store tomorrow. Feels good knowing that someone will be able to use stuff that would otherwise sit in my closets.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Good Bump @Macfrommichigan. I have slowly been buying less and less unless it is shaving gear. I have been slowly getting rid of some stuff on eBay. Just a few things at a time otherwise I find it too overwhelming and then I just sit on the side lines. as I keep saying, for me it is baby steps.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Another bump or update for this thread. Slowly starting to move some stuff. I have sold some golf clubs on eBay. I sold some books on eBay. Gave some clothes to the Salvation Army. Some of the clothes were really only good for rags but the local Salvo ladies here cut them up for rags to sell to the Auto shops. Still have mountains to get through but I don't want to overwhelm myself and give up. So I just do a little at a time. Baby steps.....baby steps.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Another bump or update for this thread. Slowly starting to move some stuff. I have sold some golf clubs on eBay. I sold some books on eBay. Gave some clothes to the Salvation Army. Some of the clothes were really only good for rags but the local Salvo ladies here cut them up for rags to sell to the Auto shops. Still have mountains to get through but I don't want to overwhelm myself and give up. So I just do a little at a time. Baby steps.....baby steps.
its amazing how things accumulate after a purge here
good luck on your project

Not a hoarder by any means. In fact, I'm kind of CDO and neatly store things in the right places. However, at times I finally decide to get rid of something I haven't used in years. Without fail, after doing that I always end up needing the item for something. :mad2:

Not a hoarder by any means. In fact, I'm kind of CDO and neatly store things in the right places. However, at times I finally decide to get rid of something I haven't used in years. Without fail, after doing that I always end up needing the item for something. :mad2:
True, but I have learned it is almost as bad when you are rewarded for keeping a item. Then you are tempted to keep more and more. That 6 inch scrap of aluminum gutter is the definition of useless.....until you realize it makes a nice heat shield for the next plumbing job (soldering copper pipes with a propane torch)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Still working on downsizing. Sorting through some more clothes. More for the Salvo Ladies, both good clothes and more for their rag bag. I have 7 televisions of various sizes to take to the recycling arm of the local rubbish depot. They nearly all work but are the older style that require a Digital Set Top Box to work these days. Plus they are the bigger older type that take up lots of room. I hate tossing out something that still works but no-one wants second hand televisions anymore. Books, where do you start. Magazines the same. Anyway whatever I do I am heading slowly in the right direction.

This sounds a lot like what my neighbor is doing. He is 88 and his wife is 80. She is in the hospital and not expected to leave. He has been slowly filling his garbage can and taking stuff to the 2nd hand store for about a month while hoping his wife can come home. Kind of sad but I understand.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Slowed down and struggling with the de clutter. I have not moved anything for a while. I was going to make a big push to move some more stuff but fell into a hole. Need to get active again but it is hard in Winter. Too cold to be in the shed sorting thorough boxes of stuff. Only a month till Spring, that might spur me on a little. It’s tough.

Top Bottom