What's new

The Game Changer

Anyone else find the GC84 a little bit bitey?

I got mine and used it today and the shave was good very good but the razor felt a little aggressive and bitey.

The Karve D plate has a gap of 0.98mm and it's buttery smooth. The C plate feels like I forgot the blade in the razor and that's the same gap as the GC.

I'm guessing the GC has a good bit more blade exposure?

The first couple times I used the 84 I kind of thought it was a little bit aggressive but I put a titanium handle on it. Now I like it better than my Karve d & E which I will be probably selling soon. I also used to have the 6s but found the Karve and GC smoother. If you have a titanium handle try that out, I think you will like it.
Happy shaves
SMURF

The first couple times I used the 84 I kind of thought it was a little bit aggressive but I put a titanium handle on it. Now I like it better than my Karve d & E which I will be probably selling soon. I also used to have the 6s but found the Karve and GC smoother. If you have a titanium handle try that out, I think you will like it.
Happy shaves
SMURF

I don't have a Ti handle but I'm presuming you liked it better since it was lighter?

I'll use the GC several more times and I'll try it with a lighter handle to see what change it makes.

Although I actually prefer heavier razors to be honest but let's see how it goes.

I got mine and used it today and the shave was good very good but the razor felt a little aggressive and bitey.

The Karve D plate has a gap of 0.98mm and it's buttery smooth. The C plate feels like I forgot the blade in the razor and that's the same gap as the GC.

Agreed. I had the Karve D and despite a greater gap, the Karve was much smoother and less bitey. The GC84 WILL bite if you are in a hurry. It always does for me. That is why I only use it when I am not pressed for time...

@nav I used to like heavier handles until I got my Titanium Timeless 95 now I like lighter handles. It has forced me to have a lighter touch. The GC head is tin and pretty light so for me the lighter handles balance better.
Happy shaves
SMURF

I was thinking at one point of getting the Timeless Ti .95,but if the D plate on the Karve is buttery smooth, I may buy this razor and save a few dollars. I'm sure with the .98 head there is a bit of blade feel, but comfortable. Frank M.

Agreed. I had the Karve D and despite a greater gap, the Karve was much smoother and less bitey. The GC84 WILL bite if you are in a hurry. It always does for me. That is why I only use it when I am not pressed for time...

Yeah...today I used the GC and took things a little slower and didn't have any issues.
Definitely not a razor for speed shaving.

@nav I used to like heavier handles until I got my Titanium Timeless 95 now I like lighter handles. It has forced me to have a lighter touch. The GC head is tin and pretty light so for me the lighter handles balance better.
Happy shaves
SMURF

I have a small Yaqi nickel handle that I'll try and see if the lighter weight helps.
Although I didn't have any issue today as I took things slower.

I was thinking at one point of getting the Timeless Ti .95,but if the D plate on the Karve is buttery smooth, I may buy this razor and save a few dollars. I'm sure with the .98 head there is a bit of blade feel, but comfortable. Frank M.

The Karve is just brilliant!
The D plate has minimal blade feel but efficiency is definitely there.
If you want blade feel, perhaps you'll like the E or F plate better.

Would the CC84 be to aggressive for a first razor?

I'm in the relatively unusual position amongst GC84 users in that it is my first ever safety razor. I picked it knowing it would be on the aggressive side because I value efficiency and closeness of the shave, having come from carts.

Currently rotate between it and a Fatip Piccolo and learning the ropes on each of them, and so far I like it a lot. If you have dense stubble and don't mind a bit of blade feel but value efficiency, then I would be bold enough to suggest using it as a first razor. The universal recommendations of 34Cs and DE/R89s as a beginner razor are ok but these axioms were established before quality, machined SS options were common

My first shave impression. Head Shave ONLY!

* Game Changer .84-P with Super Knurl 91mm
* Derby Premium
* MWF

Tons of hype on this razor!!!! Undoubtedly the best (ENJOYABLE) and efficient head shave I've ever had. Could hardly feel the blade with complete BBS results. I'd say it's a KARVE plate-C in feel and a KARVE plate-D in efficiency. Remarkable!!!!!

The finish, craftsmanship isn't bad. It is, however, its only weakness I can find. When comparing to high end stuff, don't expect a Wolfman WR1 or an Above The Tie (ATT) stainless steel finish. The Game Changer will show minor machining marks and dull polishing. Remember, it's a $54 razor, a nice one at that! Even my Weber PH has a better polish. They use some sort of a tumbling method to create a decent finish. The geometrical cuts and fitting of the three piece razor is top-notch, blade alignment right on. Putting the blade onto the base plate might seem backwards at first. So far this razor performs! It's nice looking on a shelf but it'll hardly be there! It'll shave its way to the top of your razors. More later... I'll shave my face tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

First Face Shave

RazoRock Game Changer .84 Super Knurl
Derby Premium
RazoRock F-400 synthetic
MWF

Results: Smooth, FANTASTIC BBS!!!! But watch out :)

My first report was after a head shave, as posted above. After a true face shave of a 2 day beard, I see the GC .84 as a more aggressive razor than I experienced on my head. I like medium to moderately, high aggressive razors. Upon this shave, I'd rank the GC .84 around a KARVE plate-F, ATT H1, or Timeless 0.95 open comb, scalloped cap. It was very smooth, though! I got a few weepers along my usual areas of the neck when going ATG, sideways across the neck. Most razors will do that to me, not unusual. I got (1) true nick in the chin area. For my face, I'd place the GC .84 like a KARVE plate-E in smoothness and a plate-F in efficiency and/or aggressiveness, blade feel. I'm going to like it. I'm also going to respect it. I know my razors well. I got a phenomenal shave! This one will be a keeper.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My Game Changer .84-P with a Weber Bulldog handle. I'm not too much of a fan of the Super Knurl handle from RazoRock that came with my razor. The Weber looks better, is a tad shorter, and has better knurl feel.

1550517912336795.jpg
1550517912550442.jpg

Thanks. I have the Radio Knob handle. It's nice to look at and I'm getting use to it every day. But it'd be nice to try something lighter too.

I already had an extra Weber handle to put on the GC .84; plus I own a Weber PH with the Wave handle. However, right now, I went to Weber to buy a few more handles for backups and was directed to eBay for purchase. The only Weber's for sale show as blemished. I put in a purchase for a bulldog and wave. The quantity of handles sold to what's left in stock make me believe that these may not actually be blemishes but a 'clearance' with no return policy. It appears to me that the owner of Weber may be finished making anything razor related. If you want a Weber handle, this may be your chance for an outstanding price of $10.
Screenshot_20190218-095441_eBay.jpg

Well, I just fell down the rabbit hole!

I got the GC with super knurl because that was all that was in stock at The Italian Barber, and I picked up a Weber blemished bull dog handle.

I think I have a lifetime supply of blades now too. At least I am having fun.

My theory is that we all shave slightly differently - the angle, the way in which we attack our beard (with the grain first or across the grain first, etc.), the amount of pressure we apply to the razor and so on. So it's no surprise that we can use the same two razors and discover that our experiences differ. I will say that I think that both the GC and the 6C are fine razors, but for me the GC is a better all around performer.

This is 100% true. We all will get a slightly different impression of any razor. There might be a majority agreement but there will always be others with a different view.

Top Bottom