What's new

The French TI's

Some of my favorite shavers are my Thierrs Issard blades however that said and while I have 5 plus the regular silverwing and a few LeGrelots I have not always found there quality control on the rest of the razor to be where it should especially for the price and reputation of there blades. As I am sure most you have seen TI now has new forgings available at only 2 sites I know
of one being where I got mine from rasagepoulin.com,

well gents I am happy to report it appears at least from my perspective and from what I read on forums that TI has heard our complaints and addressed them. The fit and finish on the 2 below are perfect, the blades are centered and straight the pins are tight, there was a light coat of oil on the blades and the bevel was set-even and they were what I would say after shaving with them to be extremely damm close to if not being shave ready certainly plenty sharp enough but could be a little smoother nothing just a few laps on chromium oxide won't improve, all in all a big step forward from my past TI's.

If you are looking to get a TI or other shaving supplies definitely check out Scott at Rasage Poulin, of note the prices on his site are Canadian but if purchasing from the US when you check out with paypal you will see the difference which was pretty good at my time of purchase, also orders over $150 Canadian get free shipping and I believe he posted a discount coupon here on B&B the other day in the shopping forum. He is very good at answering any product questions via e-mail as well.

The first is a 6/8-7/8" in Snakewood with worked spine, the 2nd is called the Celebration Silverwing it is limited to 300 units a 5/8" French nose in Rams horn.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The problems with TI's in the past have been very bad indeed. You could pay $300, or more, and end up with a warped blade, pathetic centering and no redress other sending it back to the factory, which might be to "busy" to get to you right away. Sending a razor back took months and there was an "attitude" to boot. I really hope that they have mended their ways because some of their razors are my favorites. Getting a good TI is a pleasure and going to be a top notch shaver.

Take Care,
Richard

I received a custom 7-day set from from TI (through Thiers-Issard UK) about 3 weeks ago and I couldn't be happier.

TI has turned things around in a major way.

They were willing to do custom work. They did it very quickly and the quality was first-rate. The edges were extremely sharp and required just a little finishing.

The communication with the factory was excellent.

I wholeheartedly recommend TI as a vendor. The way they treated me tells me that they are really serious about serving their customers.

Two magnificient TIs! I have the 6/8's from a French supplier and it's a great shaver and well balanced. My experience with TIs and LeGrelots has been very positive, I am glad to hear your new razors are in good form.

My first and still regular shaver is a TI. Great razor now but it had to be badly honed before. I have an English Kropp coming and a Dubl Duck Gold that im eager to use but needs to be sharpened.

Hmm, what a strange coincidence. I have a Silverwing Le too and guess what my number is? 028. Of course mine is the original with wood scales but reminds me of the story of the guy who goes into an old shop to buy a unique one of a kind item and there are 30 people in the back making the same exact item.

I really wanted that worked back straight, but I noticed Scott no longer has it up on his site, so I guess it won't be coming back with the next shipment *insert emoticon for being jealous*

Uh oh!

How is the Silverwing? Is it a light 5/8?

I got both the original Silverwing and now this french nose rams horn silverwing, both are 5/8 but don't shave like a typical full hollow 5/8, much stiffer and feel heavier but both give very good shaves but have a feeling all there own unlike any of my other straights

Hmm, what a strange coincidence. I have a Silverwing Le too and guess what my number is? 028. Of course mine is the original with wood scales but reminds me of the story of the guy who goes into an old shop to buy a unique one of a kind item and there are 30 people in the back making the same exact item.

:eek: hopefully that is not the case my original Silverwing is # 103 and is in a darker almost black box with the cocobolo scales as I am sure yours is, this is another "limited" edition of 300 pieces with the french nose and rams horn scales, both are listed on the page here, but then again as you mentioned one never knows

I got both the original Silverwing and now this french nose rams horn silverwing, both are 5/8 but don't shave like a typical full hollow 5/8, much stiffer and feel heavier but both give very good shaves but have a feeling all there own unlike any of my other straights

:eek: hopefully that is not the case my original Silverwing is # 103 and is in a darker almost black box with the cocobolo scales as I am sure yours is, this is another "limited" edition of 300 pieces with the french nose and rams horn scales, both are listed on the page here, but then again as you mentioned one never knows

I had been wondering if you had both after you bought the French nose one from me!

Last edited:

How does the Silverwing shave compared to the 1/4 grind Le LeGrelot? I am really interested in the Silverwing because of the new generation steel process. I like really hard steels, they sharpen to something wicked, which I like.

Richard

How does the Silverwing shave compared to the 1/4 grind Le LeGrelot? I am really interested in the Silverwing because of the new generation steel process. I like really hard steels, they sharpen to something wicked, which I like.

Richard

The silverwing and in fact all the new c135 blades from TI are very stiff in that respect similar to the LeGrelot but the LeGrelot 1/4 grind feels more like a wedge when it is mowing down the whiskers then the new blades, by contrast some of the older TI's I have felt like they had give or flex to them and felt very much like your typical hollow. The Silverwings and in fact all the new c135 blades are very hard and all seem to take and hold a very nice wicked sharp edge, thankfully mine didn't require more then a touch up on any as by the feel it seems as if having to do more then a touch up could be work.

It is hard for me to compare them to any other razor, as I said I have a few old TI's and imho when shaving with one they all feel similar as do a lot of Dovo's and a lot of wedges, etc but these are just slightly different at least to me anyhow.

Top Bottom