What's new

The Frankenrazor Thread

Hello fellow shavers!

Quite by accident I created my Frankenrazor as my Piccolo dropped with all it's weight on bathroom tiles (no damage to floor, lucky me) but thread post on Fatip got loosen. It wiggles, although not seen as damaged yet, but some structural corruption is there, no doubt. So just for an experiment, I tried to see whether the base plate might fit to R89:

View attachment 1473006

View attachment 1473007

Blade pins fits perfectly (strange or not) and to be honest blade alignment is great. For the first look, it seems that blade is exposed bit more, compared to Piccolo cap, so it's up to see how well would it shave. One thing is for sure - I wish I got R89 in chrome as these gold-shades now make it look like a true gipsy-razor, my eyes hurt a little bit :D
and to keep topic consistent, when combined R41 cap with Fatip comb - wow, that was a surprise:

IMG_20221104_060338.jpg

IMG_20221104_060325.jpg

Def. needs more slope in the cap as I couldn't tighten it at all, felt very disturbing just to watch.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday 20221102
20221102_105522~2.jpg

Razor: Frankenrazor (Personna "BBS-0" 1.0mm Baseplate + Wolfman WR2 1.25 Cap) (Trident Razors Ti G2 Albion Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (2)
Brush: @Graydog Backyard Maple Chubby (TNS 26MM Full Moon)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cyril R. Salter Indian Sandalwood
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado
Fragrance: Belcam Bold Tobacco EdT Spray
20221102_105606~2.jpg

Tried something different on Wednesday. Paired the baseplate from the Personna "BBS-0" (which is reported to have a 1.0mm gap) with the cap from the Wolfman WR2 1.25 and the Trident Razors Ti G2 Albion Handle. Everything fits together. Less efficient than the WR2 1.25 SB, but still got a wonderful shave.

Superb shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11995919

My definition of a Franken is a cap and a base that do not match. Simply putting a non-matching handle on a ready-made head does not qualify as a Franken -- for me. That being said, with very sensitive skin it is hard to find a Franken that works. I have tried dozens of combinations. There are only 2 winners that work for me, and they work amazingly well giving a very smooth and efficient non-irritating shave with a Personna Blue blade (made in USA). The first Franken that works for me is a Karve Overlander cap using a top shim with a Timeless Ti68 base. The second Franken that works for me is a Timeless Ti68 cap with a Feather base. Both of these Frankens offer superbly smooth, close shaves with my very sensitive skin. For my face, they work much better than the standard Karve Overlander, Timeless Ti68 and Feather. You may want to give this a try.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday Schick Shave, November 13th, 2022, experimenting with a DE blade, Subie shaves double stack blade hack.

Razor
: Schick injector E2 type, Canadian variant- MFG in the 1930's- 40's, Mid range, light weight 1OZ, well built to last with some care, one of my favorite injectors & a joy to use.

Blade : Personna red DE (4) sharp & smooth with great longevity, experimenting with a double stack blade modified to fit the E2 injector. It can be done with reasonble success if a person is willing to take effort and care needed to not get cut. I use 2 small strips of electric tape & then place the blade on the sticky part + then fold the edges of tape over the cutting edges and trim away. The blade will curve slightly from the scissor cutting and then stack the blades together and place in the injector with care. Not sure it is worth the effort but I do enjoy challenges. This is much better & safer than using 1 half blade because it is to flexiable but with 2 blade half's you are getting very close to the thickness of a injector blade. The shave was close and comfortable and do-able but not sure it is worth the risk of cutting yourself. Take care if attempting!

Soap : Razorock "The Dead Sea", nice unique bright sharp cleanish scent with excellent lather qualities. This soap is very addictive with matching aftershave splash IMO.
Brush : Yaqi "Artic sky" 24mm silvertip badger (3band) excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock"The Dead Sea" with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Schick E2 injector with a Subie double stack DE blade hack. The Schick E2 with modified swivel works really well with this double stack set up but still needed care because of slight bending of blades to close up.

(Photo of the hacked blade is for understanding what I did, explaining what I did is not my strong point so a photo explains it better.)
YY Stubie stack 2 DE blades..jpg

(old archived photo's of my modified Schick E2 type for loading a injector blade manually.)
Schick swivel 2.jpg
Schick swivel1.jpg

Todays shave
SOTD November 13 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Frankenrazor SLOC/R41 Rosegold
Blade: Personna Med Prep (2)
Brush: @Rudy Vey AS3M Emerald Green (Mühle 25mm STF)
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave: Brut Classic
Fragrance: Brut Original EdT Spray
20221114_141134~2.jpg

Excellent shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12011862

I ordered on November 1st at the first hour of the promotion on the AliExpress site.

That day I got a great discount.

I just received it today.

This is the head Tile 316 on the King C Gillette handle.

My new frankenrazor : King C Yaki :biggrin:

DSC00234.JPG

Got this one in a lot. Open comb. No idea as to whom, what or where?

Old handle, head is machined aluminum, cap is plated but no idea the metal?
I did put a blade in it, judging by the gap, probably a very mild shaver?

Doubt I'll ever try it. Still a neat thing to look at.
CA6F5505-05A1-4485-A5A1-8C79A92082C4.jpeg

F3772E05-0AFB-4176-978C-32C7F8A06CD7.jpeg

8C776035-58B3-4906-BA39-73E504DAC78D.jpeg

ADCD55F2-9D97-4846-A94F-B71F15D454E0.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Friday's Shave
Frankenrazor Friday
Razor: Frankenrazor: Personna New Angle 70 (aka: "BBS-0") Plate/Gillette 1966 (L1) Tech Cap (@Rosseforp GTS 25g Handle)
Blade: Kai (1)
Brush: Craving Shaving Brisk (26mm Crave Knot)
Lather: Tallow + Steel West Indies
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Fragrance: Belcam Bold Tobacco EdT Spray
20221118_223234~2.jpg

Excellent shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12017359

I now have 6 Frankens in my collection that work perfectly with my coarse stubble and very sensitive skin. They are all very smooth yet amazingly effective.

1. Timeless Ti68 cap + Feather base
2. Karve cap + Timeless Ti68 base
3. Scallop cap + Barbaros base
4. Scallop cap + Gillette flat base (made in England)
5. Gillette steel cap + ATT R1 copper base
6. ATT Windsor cap + Blackland Era (level 1) base

I will upload photos soon.

They work perfectly with my coarse stubble and very sensitive skin. They are all very smooth yet amazingly effective. 1, 2, 3 and 5 and the mildest (see the list above the photos). They are all much better razors for me than the branded razors they are created from.

Here's another tip to improve your shave that I have not read about before. Use a finger nail buffer -- totally non-abrasive -- to polish a matte cap, like the Karve, for instance. A few strokes is all you need. Works like a charm. This allows the razor head to glide much more smoothly over the face, eliminating tugging and nicks.

Top Bottom