What's new

The Frankenrazor Thread

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
This thread deserves to live again...

Here's one born of an irresistible pun, yet somehow it's very smooth and very effective - oh, and the cap studs are quite a close fit through the baseplate, the blade alignment is pretty much locked in perfect straight away, instantly fixing the most annoying thing about its parents (as both my Old type and Fatip are annoying to align - it's doable, just annoying).

I call this one the "Fat Old Coq".

Fatip cap
Old-type baseplate
LeCoq handle.

Most people seem to go the opposite way and use an Old type cap on a Fatip, but as the LeCoq handle fits the Fatip (and is a particularly nice handle to use) it seemed like it'd be fun to try.

View attachment 1282600
View attachment 1282599

Wonderful Frankenrazor! 😍

I had this Injector type G with a broken handle and didn't want to throw it away as the head was looking good. So, I've gutted a Penn razor which was absolutely useless as it uses proprietary blades that haven't been produced in over 70 years, and then drilled a hole in the handle to fit the head. Finally, to make sure both parts would stay together, I've glued them with high-temperature radiator epoxy putty. The result is this very good-looking 52gr Injector with a silver-plated brass handle.

IMGP7036-2.jpg

The Yaqi Double-open-comb cap + Pearl OC base plate combo has been discussed quite a lot in the past. It is a great combination for those that like a more aggressive razor. I'll re-post some info here about it.

If the standard Yaqi DOC is a 5/10, I'd say this is about a 7/10. It gives a very close shave without much roughness. A bit like the Fatip OC.

The standard Yaqi DOC is a pleasant daily driver, maybe just a bit too mild. It does align the blade very precisely and is very smooth, though.

The Pearl OC can be a bit rough and can have problems with blade alignment. It does shave very close.

By combining the two, you get more aggressiveness compared to the Yaqi DOC and at the same time eliminate the blade alignment issues of the Pearl OC. You get a bit less bite and smoother feel with the Yaqi DOC top cap. The Pearl OC base plate allows for a wider range of shaving angles, also.

There is a thread with some good comments and photos here: My Yaqi-Pearl - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/my-yaqi-pearl.543377/
I find the Yaqi DOC (the mellon) to be reasonably smooth but does have a scratchy feeling to it, clearly not as smooth as a Rockwell 6C (used with plate 5). I dont feel this mellon head as a smooth razor and the angle i use it has to be really spot on.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Got one that I picked upon eBay for $50. It's a birch-handled Muhle Rocca with a Timeless 6061-T6 aluminum base plate and scalloped cap. I'm sure its opposite twin (Muhle Rocca head + Timeless aluminum handle) is out there somewhere.

Pictures don't do justice. The matte metal finish, scallops, and natural wood contrast make it a stunner. Art Decco meets Bauhaus design. It performs well, too. Light, mild, with a grippy handle.

Reading this thread over the weekend prompted me to pull it from the drawer for one last shave before passing it on. Yet after this morning's shave, where I was reminded of how wonderful it looks and performs, I decided to hold on a wee bit longer.

49A2A3D4-2AE1-4012-B3C8-30EFB94AB71B.jpeg

Got one that I picked upon eBay for $50. It's a birch-handled Muhle Rocca with a Timeless 6061-T6 aluminum base plate and scalloped cap. I'm sure its opposite twin (Muhle Rocca head + Timeless aluminum handle) is out there somewhere.

Pictures don't do justice. The matte metal finish, scallops, and natural wood contrast make it a stunner. Art Decco meets Bauhaus design. It performs well, too. Light, mild, with a grippy handle.

Reading this thread over the weekend prompted me to pull it from the drawer for one last shave before passing it on. Yet after this morning's shave, where I was reminded of how wonderful it looks and performs, I decided to hold on a wee bit longer.

View attachment 1434219

This razor should be commercialized 😍

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Is this simply a matter of finding a top cap that fits a different base plate and giving the combination a spin?

Several years ago I got a Gillette Old Type with not only a cracked handle, but it was missing a piece of the handle tube. It also looked like it was buried with Grandpa, then dug up a couple of decades later. I cleaned up the cap & bottom plate, then nickel plated them, then made a new brass handle tube (longer than original) and nickeled it, too.
It's one of my best shaving razors, and is outstanding with nearly every blade I use in it.
Old Type New Handle.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20220608_211521~2.jpg

Razor: R41 Frankenrazor (Mühle R41 Plate, Yintal Brass Cap, GSC R41+ Rose Gold Handle)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (3)
Brush: AP Shave Co White (AP Shave Co G5C Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: PannaCrema Nuàvia Blu
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Fragrance: Belcam Volatile EdT Spray
20220608_211626~2.jpg

This R41 Frankenrazor is really cool! Combined the Mühle R41 Plate with a Yintal Brass Cap and the Rose Gold Handle from a GSC R41+. Looks fantastic together!
20220608_211718~2.jpg

Excellent shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11800657

20220609_223337.jpg

Here is my Frankenrazor, it is an Executive Shaving Company Braveheart head with a Razoremporium replica Gillette ball end handle, I have not used it much or in a while but I recall that it is an efficient razor. However the combination of a heavy head with a small handle makes it a bit top heavy, I am currently thinking about if I should get a bigger handle for it...perhaps another experiment in which I combine the head with my R89's handle is in order. 🤔

Top Bottom