What's new

The Frankenrazor Thread

It looks like the Gillette Platinums made in Russia are just too aggressive for my very sensitive skin with these Frankens. So, I will be sticking with the Personna Blues made in USA.

The classic Star Gold razor is one of my favorite. I am now trying to improve the results by using a non-matching cap with the Star base. We'll see how this works out and if it needs shimming. Details to come.

It looks like the Gillette Platinums made in Russia are just too aggressive for my very sensitive skin with these Frankens. So, I will be sticking with the Personna Blues made in USA.
There is also no such thing as an aggressive blade. Blades are either sharp or dull, smooth or rough, or on a spectrum between sharp and dull, and between smooth and rough.

Aggressive and mild are adjectives used to characterize the quality of the shave, which is a combination of blade and razor. I stay away from sharper blades because my skin is so sensitive that nicks, cuts and irritation inevitably result.

AC SS clone and Derby Extra half/blade. Does it qualify for Frankenrazor?
ss_derby.jpg

Karve cap + Timeless Ti68 base (1 shim top)
Blackland Era cap + Feather base (2 shims bottom)
Feather cap + made-in-England Tech round base (1 shim top)
Steel cap + Star base (1 shim bottom)

These are the 4 Frankens left standing. I have yet to rank them. They are all winners, given my shaving needs as described in this thread. All using Personna Blue made in USA blades.

Slapo, does your Franken give a mild or aggressive shave? What blades to you use with it?
As I mentioned, there's basically no blade feel, so it feels mild, but I'm mostly BBS after three passes with it.
I haven't tried fewer passes, though, so one of them might be redundant.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Frankenrazor - Mühle R41/SLOC Rosegold
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (4)
Brush: @Rudy Vey B&B 2022 Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood Tub Cream
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Fragrance: Belcam Volatile EdT Spray
20230206_114218~2.jpg

The link below takes you to my journal, which has full notes for this shave and more: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12119284

I am reorganizing my razor fleet to figure out my desired line-up and was inspired to experiment. Here we have a Razorock MJ90a top cap on a Karve brass B-plate SB, with a PAA bomb tip handle. I threw in a slightly used Rapira platinum lux blade and slopped on some Jack Black beard lube, with almost no facial preparation. Needless to say it was a horrible shave with tugging and scraping sounds. Surprisingly the alum induced no stinging. I like the visually interesting tri-metal color palette of black anodized aluminum, raw brass, and steel finished with a painted accent. This setup is a "FAIL" for performance, which I am partially attributing to my blade selection.

The pictures show how the top cap curvature is steeper than the mating surface on the plate, which has a shallower angle. That must account for a less stiff blade hold?

IMG_7270.JPG
IMG_7271.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom