What's new

The Fool's Pass and the lower neck with Slants

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I note that in general, when folks start using a slant, they keep the same basic technique they used with non-slant razors. I am wondering about two specific strokes. Does using the same DE work against the grain on the upper lip when using a slant? How about when dealing with the extremely challenging looser skin around the neck?

Can't speak to the Fool's Pass, as I don't shave against the grain. But for the lower neck, like the rest of my face, I only ever shave over stretched skin, whether it is with a slant, DE, or straight. Shaving loose skin is an invitation for nicks or weepers.

I note that in general, when folks start using a slant, they keep the same basic technique they used with non-slant razors. I am wondering about two specific strokes. Does using the same DE work against the grain on the upper lip when using a slant? How about when dealing with the extremely challenging looser skin around the neck?
I have NEVER attempted against the grain on the upper lip, TOO SCARED :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I found when using the RR German 37 slant that it is more efficient and instead of using a 3 pass shave with pickups I will over shave so I went to a 2pass WTG + ATG(money pass) with pickups worked nicely. To this day 5 years later I stay with a 2 pass shave mostly (nothing is written in stone) with all my razors and results are stellar. Upper lip shaving can be challenging with any razor so over shaving with a slant still needs caution. As we age I have to be a little more cautious with lose skin when ending a pass stroke on the lower neck area. I have to skin stretch a little with my idle hand more it seems and bull frog (puff cheeks) when needed + different face tension postures it seems helps. Oh the joy of aging!:cuppa:

The only real difference when doing the fool's pass is I tend to use more of a rocking back and forth motion when I blade buff around the nostrils with a slant. With a regular DE I keep the shave angle constant when blade buffing.

On the neck I shave exactly the same as I would with a non-slant DE.

I use the Slant exactly like any other DE razor, I always do an against the grain pass (including upper lip) that's where the shaving magic happens.

Top Bottom