What's new

The Flightless Waterfowl Father's Day PIF

I'm in.

Although, I have many stories about my dad, I think my grandfather is more fitting in relation to wet shaving. I remember my grandpa shaving with his old school razor and plain old bar soap when I was younger. He always had a bottle of Brut at the ready. I was walking at the store the other day and happened to see Brut on the shelf. I picked it up and bought it and took it straight home. That night, I shaved and used my new Brut. Tears honestly welled in my eyes as the smell hit my nose. All the memories of my grandfather hit me like a ton of bricks and I felt closer to him then than I had in years.

I miss that man.

some great stories, and now that grandpas are in the mix, my dad had a great story about his dad that he told long after his dad had passed. He had taken both his sons (my dad and uncle) out shotgun hunting in his brand new 1937 Buick (my grandpa was a buick man until he passed). When they were done, they all realized the keys were locked in the trunk. Being a pragmatic guy, grandpa took his shotgun and blew a hole in the trunk lock, opened it up and got the keys.

ryanhandshow, you're entered :thumbup1:

Your story reminded me of my grandfathers--one of them used Brut and another had English Leather. I haven't used either but I swear I can still recall the scent without holding a bottle under my nose, and that alone evokes pleasant memories.

I’m in.

My dad just passed away last year. I try to pass on a lot of the things he gave to me to my 2 boys.

Shortly after I got into DE shaving I taught my son the craft. My dad was very sick from diabetes and wasn’t really interested in “going back to shaving like that”! I did have the honor of giving my dad a shave! In fact, the day before he died I was able to cut his hair and give him his last shave. I will never forget that. Miss you dad.

I’m in.

My dad just passed away last year. I try to pass on a lot of the things he gave to me to my 2 boys.

Shortly after I got into DE shaving I taught my son the craft. My dad was very sick from diabetes and wasn’t really interested in “going back to shaving like that”! I did have the honor of giving my dad a shave! In fact, the day before he died I was able to cut his hair and give him his last shave. I will never forget that. Miss you dad.

That really tugs at me. Reminds me of loosing my grandfather 3 years ago. He was always my biggest supporter. I looked up to him so much. I am the man I am because of him. I was working at a hospital at I.T. and he was always concerned if I still loved my job. It took me many years to find an I.T. job and he just wanted to make sure I still loved I.T. well right before he passed I was named employee of the month. Right after that I left town for a few days to Vegas to celebrate my girls bday. I was going to tell him about employee of the month when I got back. On my girls bday he passed away. I never got to tell him about employee of the month. I still miss him. He was and still is my biggest inspiration. Even though he is gone I still try to make him proud of me.

I'm so glad you got to give your dad a last shave and haircut. It's something you will always remember.

Anyone else have a big lump in their throat? I can't be the only one.

Rossij07, you're on the list . . . and thank you to both you and Suhrim21 for your stories, both of which are at the core of what I was hoping to accomplish here.

Yes this thread gets to me. But at the same time it is a bit healing. It's been hard for me because with all the medical issues I lost my job and had to move in with my father and mother. They got remairied 20 some odd years after getting divorced. Well my grandfather left the house to my father. It's still hard when I go in the living room not seeing him sitting in his chair. Christmas and Thanksgiving I was a wreck being here and not seeing my grandfather. He passed Jan 3 2016. Jan 13 2018 my brother was killed by some punk teenager texting while driving. Hit him head on and the teenager was doing close to 100 in his mustang. Both my brother and him didn't survive. Then may 25 2018 my nephew passed away from an asthma attack. So been dealing with all of that and all of my medical problems right now so just being able to talk about these things here have been a great help to me. Especially my medical issues.

I set out to do a little 'shave philanthropy', to give back to this community that has freely given so much to so many, myself (and my son) included. I am still pleased as can be to be able to do so, and look forward to sending 2 packages out next week.

To know that each of us sharing our stories has the ability to gently heal--if only in the slightest--is a benefit exponentially more important, and more humbling, than our affinity for software and hardware. My immediate thoughts are that love trumps hate, and blood is always thicker than water--and for those of us remaining in the wake of our departed it is for each of us to keep moving forward, to perhaps in our own way, heal here and there, to give the next generation shoulders to stand upon.

Thank you again, gentlemen.

Last evening, folks! I'll be doing the random generator thing tomorrow at some point, so get in if you've been wanting to!

Thanks again to all who contributed--entered or not. It is so easy to get caught up in the day-to-day things, taking care of responsibilities, simply living life. Many of us check in here daily (or at least often) to see what's new or who's new. But behind all the sterile text are genuine human begins who are never far from their roots. I hope the younger among us, like my son and Suhrim21's nephew, will likewise set the stage for their progeny, and give them shoulders to stand upon . . . not just for shaving, but for life itself.

I put each entrants username alongside their post number then assigned a sequential ordinal number as entries were made (seen below):
Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 5.35.07 AM.png

Using Googles Random Generator the winners are:
Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 5.24.51 AM.png

sharktown . . . . and . . . .

Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 5.25.20 AM.png

bray144k

Congratulations, guys! Shoot me a message with your address and choice of scent--barbershop, orange, or lime.

This was just an awe inspiring experience to read all of the great memories everyone had of their dads.
My eyes were very watery reading through them and putting mine into words, it was emotional for me.
Thanks to our dads and moms we all grew to the responsible, loving and family oriented individuals that we grew to be.
I'm positive you will and have passed along those precious teachings to your own children - I try to all the time with our 12yr old daughter.
I think of all parents as saints for the constant sacrifices they made for their families and without them we wouldn't be the men we are today.
Happy Father's Day!!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Top Bottom