What's new

The Flightless Waterfowl Father's Day PIF

Greetings Gents and Ladies (I believe there are at least a couple among us) . .

Father’s Day is on the horizon. A couple months ago Italian Barber was selling Razorock DE1’s for $5 each. I’m a touch too practical to have lots of different razors—although I do like trying different blades, and my struggle to contain the SAD beast is perpetual. But, the DE1 got me thinking.

My dad passed away just over four years ago, and I think he likely would have at least given traditional wet shaving a try, if for no other reason than his son and grandson have really taken to it. I happened upon this forum mostly through my initial searches on different DE topics—Badger & Blade most always came up near the top of the results. I found I was becoming more and more intrigued (and sucked in) to all the opinions and sheer volume of information—and desire to help—by the denizens of these forums. So, I joined in early February.

Why This PIF?
I add my voice to the chorus of those grateful for what the B&B community provides. It has helped me tremendously, and not unsurprisingly enabled my nascent Acquisition Disorders. Sure, at the start I have spent more than I would have on cartridges, but my enjoyment of the process is exponentially greater than before. I know I’m not alone in this regard :001_302:

In memory of my dad on this Father’s Day I would like to offer up the following PIF:
1 RazoRock DE1 . . . brand spankin’ new, in the box
1 pure badger brush . . . brand new
1 puck (winner’s choice) of RazoRock What the Puck shave soap—Lime Burst, Orange Sunrise, or Barbershop . . . yes, also brand new.

Starter pack.jpeg

3 of each of the following blades:
  • Astra SP
  • Battle Brothers
  • Derby Extra
  • Derby Premium
  • Shark Super Chrome
  • Voskhod
  • Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India) — although I do truly like the German blades, too.
  • And I think I’ll throw in one Lord Super Stainless and one Rapira Platinum Lux for good measure.
blades.jpeg

The Razor — The DE1 isn’t anything fancy or exotic, but looks to be a pretty solid razor for the beginner. Lots of positive reviews, and for a PIF the price couldn’t be beat! To be completely transparent, the razors are packaged with a tuck of Derby Extras, but I haven’t tried them yet so I’m selfishly reserving some to see which side of the Derby Extra fence I fall on (and I’ll have my son try them too).

The Brush — Again, by no means is this the gold standard of pure badger brushes. Not even sure it would be the bronze standard. Pretty inexpensive brush, but again I would think it perfect for someone starting out. Not as stiff as a boar . . . which come to think of it might have been a better choice given the puck included . . .

The Soap — Surprise! . . . not an expensive soap. I have not used this soap before but have seen both pro and con written about them. I surmise it may take a little work to lather it up as it’s triple milled—might want to blossom it while showering, etc. Wasn’t heavy on the wallet and I thought it fitting to include some kind of soap in a PIF starter kit.

Why 3 of each blade? Well, if dad had been around there would have been three generations of DE shavers, which would have been kinda cool.

I know some will recoil at my blade offerings. I get it. Lots of Gillette die-hards here, and others who have found some or all of these blades don’t work for them. With all absolute respect, this PIF isn’t so much for the established shavers as it is for potential newbies/converts. The blades are those which I happen to have sufficient stock of (another AD I must be vigilant of) and which I happen to find perform well for me, and perhaps would for another new shaver as well. If nothing else, perhaps it helps both to grab their attention and break the spell of the Dark Side bringing them into the experience we all enjoy.

Very early on I started with the Astra SP’s and kind of use them as my baseline for performance and overall feel. They get lots of love here and it helped that my son liked them. I have a hunch dad would have enjoyed them too. I hope the blade offerings give enough range/latitude for a beginner to explore.

How To Qualify
  • I would prefer the recipient of this PIF (I think i’ll put together 2 of these kits, so recipients plural) to be someone new to the ‘hobby’, perhaps a gift for your dad, son, grandfather, or even wife or daughter. Would be awesome to bring another member into our community, to expose someone to the feelings that a great shave brings.
  • Must be in the CONUS; I would love to be able to open it up to our brothers across the pond or above the border, but I have a hunch shipping would be hefty. If I’m wrong then please let me know!
  • Perhaps most importantly, state “I’m in!” and tell us about a favorite memory of your own father. I think it only fitting for the upcoming occasion.
  • I will leave this PIF open until the evening of Saturday, June 8—Father’s Day isn’t until the 16th, but I want to allow for shipping time ahead of FD.
  • I will randomly select the winners from the post numbers.
Most of us have many fond memories of our fathers (I would imagine the majority do). Mine, I’m sure, are similar in some regards: my dad taught my brother and I how to fish, taught me some basic woodworking and how to use basic tools, taught me how to drive a manual/stick, taught me how to play ping-pong, chess, and how to throw and catch a baseball. Like myself, Dad wasn’t going to set the world on fire but he was a solid, loving father. I firmly believe he left this world a better place than when he came in.

My most recent fond memory was back in 2014, the year before he unexpectedly passed. He and I spent a month together working up in Oregon. Went in to work, ate breakfast and lunch with the crew, went home and I cooked dinner and we’d watch a little TV together. Nothing extravagant, no globe trotting or such, just quality father-son time. Speaking of TV, I also recall growing up we always did chores on the weekends. Dad would often be doing something outside—the grass, tinkering with the sprinkler system, whatever. I remember sometimes he would come inside for lunch and he, my brother and I would sit and eat lunch while watching the original Star Trek reruns; it wasn’t something he insisted we watch, we simply did.

So, while most of us won’t win the Nobel or Pulitzer, an Oscar or Grammy, most of us are either standing upon the shoulders of our fathers and/or probably doing what we can to make the world just a little better than when we came in.

I think most will have no problem understanding this: “Hey dad . . . wanna have a catch?”

Good luck all!

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
not in but great PIF
the older I get the smarter he was, at 67 I'm still learning from what he taught me.
Happy Fathers day Pop

Great PIF, I'm in.
As for best memory, I'm actually going with my uncle because he practically raised me. He took me everywhere; on the tractors farming, bowling, shooting, air shows, fishing. He was the father I didn't have. Sadly, he passed away back in 2011.
Thanks for the opportunity.

This is an awesome PIF and thank you for the opportunity.
Yes, I'm in.

For my memory of my dad - he trained race horses all his life, loved the Yankees and NY Giants. Taught me how to shoot, hunt and fish. Taught me along with mom how to cook and boy could my parents cook!
Every Sunday was like Christmas dinner - Italians like to eat!
Would never turn anyone away when we were eating dinner no matter what day it was. My mom used to always ask my dad "Vincent why do you always cook so much food?" His answer was always the same - "Mary, you just never know who will show up at our door".
We always had family, friends, aquientices and people we barely knew sit down to dinner at any given day and I truly amired my dad for those times.
He also taught me how to shave with a boar brush, Wilkinson blades, Williams and a Gillette ball end razor - ha, got a lot of nicks back then!
I truly miss him as he gave me the foundation to be a good person.
Happy Father's Day Dad!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Please, count me in.

Parts of this post could have been written by me about my dad because it reminds me of the many similarities you mentioned about your father.

Mine passed at age 64, almost 4 years ago. I think about him every day, or think of something he'd say. I miss him, he was a good man & sacrificed much for me, mom, brother & sister. He taught me how to work, sacrifice, and be an upstanding & contributing member of society. My favorite memories would be of him taking me shooting, hunting, fishing, or out to dinner with my family. That was one of his most cherished things was to spend time with us over a meal we all enjoyed together.

Miss you, dad.

Again, thanks for the PIF offer & the touching post, OP.

Last edited:
I'm in. I am still making memories with my father and I think about all the things we did and do together all the time. He taught me to ski( both snow and water) and to shoot ( targets only we Never hunt) and golf and tennis and football and so much more. I remember us going to the golf course with my grandfather also. It was fun...

Sharktown, Callmenugget, Jaro . . .glad to count you in!

When I initially wrote the post I was able to do so with fond memories and a detached sense of peace. Now, as I read your individual stories, I see similarities of course, but I am surprised by my emotional reaction. I suppose it's one thing when one recounts their own, very personal and individual life with their father--a single flower in a pot. But when you see how much love and sacrifice go into fatherhood--indeed, parenthood (not to leave out the huge contributions of mothers)--the gentle power of One slowly builds and multiplies . . .that single flower in a pot becomes an expansive forest meadow, at once beautiful and majestic.

Thank you all for that.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Not in, but very awesome of you.

I dont have a lot of memories of my dad, but I remember him telling me he was proud of me when I graduated college. It was the first time he said that to me. I'll never forget it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

As an add on, I am a father to 3 wonderful children. One is 11 and the other 2 are Twins(a boy and a girl) and I hope that as they get older we are able to make many great memories together and that they will think of them happily as they and myself get older!

Very thoughtful PIF. Not it.

My dad passed 5 years ago. When I asked Mom if he had any old razors, she brought me one. Dad was an engineer all the way. What was his razor? Gillette Slim Adjustable. That made sense.

I would like to be in.

As I reflect on my childhood, I come to only realize now the hard work and sacrifice of my Father. At one point, he worked three jobs while going to grad school to support my mom, my brother, and myself. My favorite memories are going on backpacking trips in the Uintas, and him as a coach as I played basketball throughout my entire childhood. Today, a lot of our memories are built over playing chess. He is a really great man and a great Father.

Added you to the list, bray144k! Posts like yours (and the others here) are heartening indeed. With all the negativity and ugly information we're steeped in everyday it's refreshing to see these vignettes of goodness.

respectfully not in, but love the thought. My dad passed about 4 years ago as well. One of my favorite "funny" memories was brought up at the dinner after the service. The family was at the dining room table when dad went out to get coffee in the kitchen. There was a crash from the kitchen and my mom shouts "what was that?" My dad yells back, "remember those matching coffee we got each other? Well I just broke yours."

Top Bottom