What's new

The Fisher AG7

This pen came in yesterday. The Fisher AG7 was something I've wanted since, well, since the Apollo program and we learned of them. Never did due to price, but with my interest in metal pens, decided to get one as a dress pen.

The pen has a nice feel. It comes with the medium point cartridge, which I replaced with a fine point. The medium point is the original size. Everything about this pen is the original design. It even has a 1960's style buzzword: thixotropic ink. That's just a fancy word for ink that changes viscosity under motion and/or pressure. Gel pens operate on the same property.

The Fisher Spacepen cartridge claim to fame is the pressurization that allows you to write at all angles, the wide temperature range it can operate in, and the ability to write under water. I have been impressed enough with the refill I put into my old Jotter to think that the cap-o-matic version would be a good solution for our crews (electric utility). OTOH, there's claims that the medium will eventually leave blobs of ink, and conflicting claims about the fine point, so that remains to be seen.

That's the refill. The AG7 is different in an interesting way. The clicker mechanism has a different, light, feel compared to a regular clicker, and pressing the button on the side to retract is a new experience. I particularly liked the parallel etching on the writing portion of the barrel. It doesn't look like much, but it adds significantly to the grip. The bullet-type Fisher Spacepen retains this feature. It has a good writing heft that says quality. OTOH, the pocket clip seems light to me, and I'm going to have to revise my plan to keep it in the box. The only way I could remove the pen without risking damage was to push down on the two "grips" that held the pen securely in the box.

Holding this is like holding a piece of history, like holding an antique. I think I'm really going to like it as a dress pen.

So does my wife. I had thought she liked the Cross, but the pen and pencil set I bought her for our anniversary goes unused. But this she seems to like. Thanks to me getting my old Jotter back going, I now have a brand new Made in France stainless steel Jotter that I intended to give her. May be wrong, but an AG7 might end up in her purse before it's all done.

I received one of these as a gift during the Apollo moon landing days from my Aunt. Thirty years later, remembering its reliability, I purchased a new pen in 1999 for my Army deployment to support the war in Kosovo. It served me well in writing draft operations orders and note-taking. I have continued to use it as a field carry pen when I would not use a fountain pen. It has chrome wear which reveals a brass base, an indication of its quality. As a retired Army Officer, this will always be my go-to pen for Boy Scout excursions, expeditions, and hopefully no more deployments for combat.

I cannot tell you how many years I have had this AG7, perhaps 50, another perfect example of form following function.

When I offered it to a man in India who said a Space Pen was his grail pen, he told me that mine had too much patina.

Funny, that is exactly the reason why I like it so much.

Attachments

• P1020474.JPG
    P1020474.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 18
Top Bottom