What's new

The first cut is the deepest.

Hello - I'm a long time wet shaver yet only shave every 3 days. I'm a ginger with a very light colored beard and sensitive face and over time this was the routine that seemed to work best. But, I hated the cost of cartridges and hated shaving with them. With the help of some YouTube videos and this forum I finally bit the bullet and got the following -

Merkur 34C
Omega Professional Brush
Proraso Pre-Shaving Cream - Green Tea and Oatmeal
Proraso Shaving Cream - Sandalwood
Clubman Pinaud After Shave Lotion

I know I could have spent a lot more on my "stuff", but I'm not a fancy guy. I am however, terribly Type A and wildly OCD and try to choose tools that will last a very long time. I figured these items were a good starting point so I could just focus on technique for awhile.

I had my first DE shave this morning, and it was lovely. I had no razor burn or nicks of any kind as I'm already very familiar with my beard growth patterns, etc. I used a Gillette Silver Blue and limited myself to just one wtg pass with a little touch up. The shaving felt nice, but there was some pulling as I had about a 3 day growth going. As I experimented with angle I could feel less pulling.

I'm actually excited about shaving again tomorrow, but concerned too as I've never really been an 'everyday' shaver. I'm wondering what some of the long-time, or even short-time DE shavers on this forum have to say about this? Are the majority of you shaving everyday? Was shaving everyday with a DE shaver something you had to sneak up on? I know over time my technique and the closeness of my shave will improve, but I still would like to hear some of your experiences regarding this. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:001_smile

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I shave every day because I enjoy it but it certainly isn't required for a good appearance as I know from past experience. And your choice of GSB's is an excellent one; They are incredibly smooth for me. Try for as shallow an angle (blade to face angle) as your razor allows. You are doing very well; enjoy your progress!

Congratulations and welcome!

With cartridges, I settled into a M/W/F pattern. I didn't look unseemly and I mostly avoided irritation and ingrowns. Now that I DE shave, I rarely miss a day and I don't suffer any of the previous nuisances. I'm actually enjoying shaving, which is an odd joy.

Give it a bit of time and your skin will likely be pretty happy with every other day, and you just might work up to everyday shaving. :001_smile

Welcome to B&B mr_eleven. You have a good set-up and you are approaching the new experience very well by getting used to one shaving "system" before venturing out and adding stuff. Give it a couple of months to lock-in your technique. I know you are very excited to learn as all of us were. Go slowly and enjoy the adventure.

After joining this forum and diving into DE wet shaving, I learned that the reason I used to be an "every three days" shaver like you was because I was doing it so completely wrong! I used to just get my face wet with cold water, pile on some canned shaving gel and then use a 3- or 4-blade cartridge razor after, only going against the grain and using a ton of pressure. Then I'd splash on some Old Spice aftershave splash and try to act like my face didn't feel like it was on fire. Why would anyone want to go through that agony every single day?
But yeah, things have changed, and now here I am.

If you can get by with a little stubble, as evidenced by your previous "every third day" routine, but you're excited to play with your new toys (as you should be), I bet you could dive right in to being a daily shaver. Just don't go for a baby's-butt-smooth (BBS) shave every single day; try lathering up and just doing a single WTG pass as you mentioned. You can touch up as needed, and eventually, when you feel comfortable and want to get even closer, try a second pass across the grain.

Plus, the more you use your Omega brush at this point, the softer it will get. The tips of the bristles of your boar hair Omega brush will eventually split after repeated use, which makes the brush feel softer on your face. This may take a few weeks to a month to really break in, so you could just lather it up to practice that aspect of your technique even if you're not intending to shave that day.

Enjoy!

Welcome to B&B! Nice kit you have there :thumbup1:

I shave every single day and love it. My day doesn't feel complete without my 15 minutes of Zen with razor and brush - and yes a splash of Clubman!

I used to HATE shaving and did it as little as possible. Rash, ingrown, etc were a constant annoyance. Since discovering the DE shaving experience I now love it and it's my favorite moment of every day.

Welcome to B&B!

I too used to shave every other day or every third day with carts. I now shave every day. I feel I get a much more consistent shave doing it that way. Not to mention I enjoy every minute of it! On the rare occasion I don't shave I feel like a bum.

proxy.php

Welcome to B&B

Good to hear your venture into "real" wet shaving was successful AND that you have decided to join us.

Do not be shy about joining in ANY of the conversations and meeting the members. We're all good friends here on B&B

Drop into the Shave Wiki and read over some of the shaving articles. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/ You will find a LOT of useful info in there.

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

Thanks for all of the great replies. I shaved again this morning - the first time I've shaved two days in a row since I was a teenager ;-) It went so well I even did a little xtg, but just a little, and only one little nick so I think I'm on the right track. I'll def. be checking out some of the other forums on this site soon, especially the Cafe, as one of my other loves is making good, strong coffee.

Last edited:
I think it's all a personal preference. If you enjoy shaving everyday and it's not causing you any irritations go for it.

After I learnt how to shave without irritation (not so long ago) I started shaving everyday. Before that it was once every 2-3 days. Now it actually feels weird if I skip one day.

Welcome to B&B mr_eleven. You have a good set-up and you are approaching the new experience very well by getting used to one shaving "system" before venturing out and adding stuff. Give it a couple of months to lock-in your technique. I know you are very excited to learn as all of us were. Go slowly and enjoy the adventure.

+1 and Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome to B&B! Nice kit you have there :thumbup1:

I shave every single day and love it. My day doesn't feel complete without my 15 minutes of Zen with razor and brush - and yes a splash of Clubman!

I used to HATE shaving and did it as little as possible. Rash, ingrown, etc were a constant annoyance. Since discovering the DE shaving experience I now love it and it's my favorite moment of every day.
+1 and welcome!

Thanks for all of the great replies. I shaved again this morning - the first time I've shaved two days in a row since I was a teenager ;-) It went so well I even did a little xtg, but just a little, and only one little nick so I think I'm on the right track. I'll def. be checking out some of the other forums on this site soon, especially the Cafe, as one of my other loves is making good, strong coffee.

They will definitely welcome you at the Café. ..

Welcome. Kudo's on your gear and efforts. You are ahead of the learning curve for sure. You might even want to try a 2-pass WTG and touchup and see how that works. I shave every day. Just don't feel CLEAN unless I've shaved. Enjoy the ride.

Top Bottom