What's new

The fine line between BBS and razorburn.

It doesn't matter what hardware or software I use, my OCD and wetshaving is always a dangerous combination.

Just. One. More. Little. Touch up.

^+1

Ha ha!! I completely relate! Lately I've been putting a healthy splash of tea tree oil on as a lube for my final clean up pass. I say pass because by the time I'm satisfied I've usually "cleaned up" ever square millimeter. It really makes a noticeable difference on the razor burn. Kinda makes a mess and the razor can be hard to clean. On the other hand though, the oil is probably good for a stainless razor.

I usually stop after three passes and minimal clean up. I have learned that it will be there next time and as my technique has gotten better the less I have to clean up. And I get DFS majority of the time and get BBS when I want. Razor burn is not worth it! Take care of your skin!

I usually stop after three passes and minimal clean up. I have learned that it will be there next time and as my technique has gotten better the less I have to clean up. And I get DFS majority of the time and get BBS when I want. Razor burn is not worth it! Take care of your skin!

Agreed

As a noob, this is one of my current struggles. I tried to "get it all" yesterday and was feeling proud of my self (felt smooth and comfortable) but later my face had visible patches of irritation even though it felt pretty good (in closeness and comfort) compared to my very early shaves. I actually made a note to make my passes and let the closeness come to me as my technique improves.

I know, I know...I've read that here a hundred times but still have to live through it to learn it.

I notice I am going past the 3 past, Rechecking the grain and starting a 1/2 pass more just enough to clean it up, OW ^%$$%$#@$%# nicked my self. Had to go that 1/2 shave extra.

I think most men have those one or two "funny patches" that you just can't seem to get BBS, and we think, despite all evidence to the contrary, that a little more pressure will do the job....wrong!

I've got a spot under my chin that only gets BBS with a straight, but the lower neck hair grows E-W so getting it BBS with a straight is difficult so I need a DE there. Those are my two spots.

You've hit right on the head. I was always trying those after I'm done touch-ups, and getting the resulting irritation and razor burn. All in an attempt for that elusive BBS. I've since learned to settle for a DFS, nothing at all wrong with that shave. BBS is really over rated, and the only one who really knows you've got a BBS is yourself.

I think that a big part of continual technique improvement is that your touch becomes lighter and lighter as you come to trust what the blade and head are doing. This, in turn, makes multiple passes more comfortable. I'm getting to the point where I do a WTG pass, and the remaining passes are all light buffs, and I get really good results from it now!

You've hit right on the head. I was always trying those after I'm done touch-ups, and getting the resulting irritation and razor burn. All in an attempt for that elusive BBS. I've since learned to settle for a DFS, nothing at all wrong with that shave. BBS is really over rated, and the only one who really knows you've got a BBS is yourself.

Well said!

I've finally learned to stop while being ahead, my face feels so much better.

Yep.

For me, two passes plus touch ups crosses the fine line between DFS and BBS with very little irritation. :001_smile Real slick soap helps a great deal, too.

The fine line between BBS and razorburn.

That line is way too fine. As a result, I gave up chasing BBS a long time ago. I'm a two pass and done kind of guy now. On a rare occasion I will do another pass or two if I really need that level of closeness, But those times are quite rare.

As a new DE/wetshaver just shy of two months, I can say that my shave improved dramatically by simply skipping the cleanup. As a result my technique became better, as I was able to notice where I need to pay more attention in my shave. Like the others say, there's always the next shave. The next shave is the only way I'm able to not chase that BBS shave.

Top Bottom