What's new

The Fernsler - what’s in it?

Has anyone ever definitively learned or deduced what is in a Fernsler? I’ve been using one as a daily touch-up with an old Rodgers the past month or so just to try and figure it out more. My best guess, and it is only me guessing, is diamond In microcrystalline wax. I’ve used a lot of different abrasives and this just always has a diamond feel to me. Anyone really know what’s in the ruby hone?

The abrasive seems to be aluminum oxide. Might be other components involved, not 100% certain. Not diamonds. The binder is a bit of a kluge too.

The abrasive seems to be aluminum oxide.
Thanks Keith. It seemed too early production for industrial diamond to be common, so I was expecting something else. But I couldn’t figure it out. Has a quasi-harsh feel like diamond and I guess AlOx might explain that. How did you learn or figure out what it was? Thanks again

Several tests and visual inspection at very high optical magnification.
The scratch pattern and 'edge feel' tell the story though. The rest was just confirmation.
Diamond was common enough back then, but expensive and since the abrasive in this puck is 'through and through' using diamond would be majorly cost-prohibitive.
I am fairly certain the binder is a composite..I have come close to recreating it but not 100% there.

proxy.php

Top Bottom