What's new

The Feather Barber Razor vs The SR? Two Questions.

I've never really been all that impressed with Feather blades, and I'm referring to the DE blades as well as the Pro blades for the Kami and AC types. All I really get from the pro blades is irritation actually. The DE Feather blades fair better in that regard by not by enough for it to matter. Both types hang up on the trouble whiskers I'm blessed with in a few spots. But I know some people think they're great or amazing or whatever - that's cool - horses for courses.

On the other hand, on a daily basis I shave with a traditional straight that I hone here and my shaves are ridiculously on-point, they last a good 24 hr and I am for want of nothing more from the edges. I do push edges sometimes, just because and because I can. But that is the exception, not the rule and it's never ever really neccessary. Honestly, edges tuned up on submicron particles do not shave me 'better' - they just shave 'differently'. I don't get closer shaves or longer lasting shaves when I use them.

Sharpness is a simple topic but it means a lot of different things. If "Edge Width" is the main criteria, then a mass produced DE type of blade is, most likely, going to win that score most of the time.
But EW is not the only criteria that matters, well - to me anyway. Which is why I get better shaves from a straight than I do from a DE or a Feather or a Weck or whatever.

I consider this; my Applegate folder can slit flesh effortlessly. But if tried to cut a loaf of soft white bread with it, the loaf would squash into a hot mess. If I take out my $5 serrated 'Frugal Gourmet' bread knife, I can slice that bread up like there's no tomorrow.
So which knife is sharper - my Applegate or my *** serrated bread knife?

Technique, lather, etc - all that can factor in too. I honestly think that a lot of crappy shaves that get blamed on edges are really the result of bad lathering technique. But that's just a suspicion.
When I first started shaving with a straight, most edges felt 'dull' - even some done on .25 µm diamond.Eventually, I started to figure things out and my shaves improved.

Bart used to talk about not needing to only rely on edge 'sharpness' to get a great shave; it took a while but eventually I dialed into what he was saying. Sure, the edge needs to be sharp, of course it does. But there's a lot more to all of this stuff than just one point of focus. At least, that's how I look at it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I spent a good amount of time over at scienceofsharp.com trying to see just how sharp a straight razor can reasonably get.

The author over at that site is examining edges so closely he needed to define “sharp” and “keen” differently from one another, with sharp being the radius of the cutting edge itself (measured in nanometers, which are one thousandth of a micron), and keen being the width of the bevel three microns back from the edge (this defining the angle of the steel most directly supporting the cutting edge).

He was able to define a method that works for him to consistently produce an edge that is both sharper and keener than a new feather blade, but only very slightly sharper, and only very slightly keener.

I’ve not built the denim strop needed for his method yet, so I’ve not tried it in earnest. I wanted to wait until i get a few more razors to experiment any more. When I tried to hybridize his approach with “the method” the results were not good.

But yeah, it is possible (and doesn’t even seem that hard) to get edges as sharp or sharper than the famous feather blades.

I've read all that material and found it both confusing and fascinating. I should read it again but focus on his method.

A link to his actual method is here. I just skimmed through it and will read it much more carefully later.

Thanks for the reminder.

I've never really been all that impressed with Feather blades, and I'm referring to the DE blades as well as the Pro blades for the Kami and AC types. All I really get from the pro blades is irritation actually.

Feather blades irritate me. I've used only Feather DE blades. The shaves seem great during the shave and the blades are sharp. After the shave I always have regretted the blade choice.

In the Feather SS barber razor and in my AC platform safety razors I use Proline blades which don't irritate me and are sharp.

Great comments, gentlemen.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Those are the Schick blades, right? I tried several last year, wasn’t jazzed by them but I think they may be smoother than the Feathers.

Jim's talking about these.

proline.jpg

On the DX, which has more blade exposure and no lip, I like the Feather Pro Guard blades. This combination feels most like straight razor to me.

For the SS I like the super pro blade which allows a really shallow angle and the use of the lip.

YMMV

On the DX, which has more blade exposure and no lip, I like the Feather Pro Guard blades. This combination feels most like straight razor to me.

For the SS I like the super pro blade which allows a really shallow angle and the use of the lip.

YMMV
I like those blades in my Feather folding SS as well.

I've learned a magic way to hone razors without stones or lapping film. It's like the current tv commercial where the guy at Payton Manning's house meditates.
Isn't that the pack-your-khakis guy in Aaron Roger's house. :001_302:

Many discussions on here about the correct angle. Feather's own literature shows the lip pressing down into the skin and consequently lifting the hairs. MY experience over 18 months of using an SS is that it is best at a low angle with pressure on the lip and absolutely none on the blade edge. Shaving like this means that the lip is actually doing something and I believe the razor comes into a league of it's own, combining the best of DE, cartridge and straight razor technology.

Yes I know there are tons of videos showing the SS used at a sharp angle, but to misquote @AimlessWanderer on another topic - just because you can drive around with your car in second gear doesn't mean you should.

On this topic everyone's mileage varies.

The Kai Captain and DX are different beasts altogether and take a different shaving angle.
There are also videos showing the DX being used at a steep shaving angle. I almost cringe when I see some of them. A very light touch must be used.

I have only one shave with my SS clone so I am no authority, but it does appear to be good concept. Where one can use a similar blade angle as the DX and let the lip press into the skin and for extra stretching as the bump deflects the dermis.

Isn't that the pack-your-khakis guy in Aaron Roger's house. :001_302:

There are also videos showing the DX being used at a steep shaving angle. I almost cringe when I see some of them. A very light touch must be used.

I have only one shave with my SS clone so I am no authority, but it does appear to be good concept. Where one can use a similar blade angle as the DX and let the lip press into the skin and for extra stretching as the bump deflects the dermis.
The SS and DX feel like completely different types of razor to me. I shave very differently with them.

Top Bottom