What's new

The Fatip Testina Gentile is a DE89 Killer!

Hello gents, hope you're all well.
As you can see, curiosity got the better of me and I had to order a Fatip Testina Gentile in gold no less. Now, I already own a Piccolo, Grande, (both of which are OC) and a recent addition to the Fatip family, the Lo Storto slant, which I cannot praise highly enough. What a weapon man! Just buy one and you will see for yourselves. After sitting on the fence I decided to try a Testina Gentile (gentle head) even though I'm an out and out open comb man, with the Muhle R41 in the arsenal since 2012 (by definition a hybrid I believe) and now the incredible Muhle R94 Rocco all stainless (closed comb but up there with the R41, go figure!!!) that I bought at Christmas, I've got the best a man can get!

Now, searching the net for the best deal, Connaught Shaving in Suffolk, UK is the best price, go direct to the website and not eBay, where you will pay more for the same thing. I also bought Cello Bio from them in the same order and the Fatip comes with a 5 pack of Gillette Silver-Blue so now you're talking!

THE SHAVE
So I prepared to shave with the Gentile with 4 days of growth. Hot shower, Proraso pre shave in the shower, steaming hot face clothes after that, lashings of Cella Bio (this is slicker than the red almond I hasten to say) on my Omega Hi-Brush and I'm off with the Gentile loaded with a Silver-Blue.

WTG - First Impressions, quiet, no feedback, like using no blade. Touched face after the pass and it was smooth, very smooth.
XTG - No blade feel, you can add as much pressure and go as fast as you like, no nicks, no irritation. After this pass I was beyond DFS and close to BBS.
ATG - Again very little blade feel, quick passes and caution to the wind by now to a lovely BSS finish. I think I was done in 8 mins flat.

VERDICT
It's a great smooth and efficient razor that allows speed, pressure and a carelessness during the shave that you simple cannot afford with an R41 and the like. It is a three pass exercise that is a joy to use. It's also better than the Edwin Jagger DE89 in it's efficiency and execution. It takes me more effort with the DE89 which I never really warmed to. So all in all the Fatip Testina Gentile is a superb closed comb that's well thought out and designed and I can highly recommend this razor to a novice or even a seasoned DE shaver, plus the gold is gorgeous in a collection.

FATIP : ROUGH AND READY?
Now Fatip fit and finish gets a lot of scrutiny and flak from discerning shavers simply because you can see visible machine marks on them, the finish can wear off revealing the brass underneath, then there's the dreaded blade alignment malarkey, in which funnily enough, I've never had to wrestle with as I've never had a bad shave with a Fatip. But Fatips are not expensive and can punch far above their weight at more expensive razors made of stainless
steel and alloy. I love my Fatips, they are very special razors like no other and they have a place in my heart after nearly a decade of using them.
Jump on the Gentile if you're making the switcheroo to DE shaving, looking for a new closed comb or just want an excuse to try another great razor!

Thanks for reading, take care.

TESTINA.JPG

I agree. For a mild feeling, easy shaving razor that is still very efficient, the Testina Gentile is near the top of the heap. Like you, I find it far better than the DE 89, which has always seemed inefficient to me.

As for Fatip QC, well, it's better than it used to be, but still somewhat uneven. My Testina Gentile is definitely a little fussy in terms of blade alignment, but it is manageable. A small price to pay for the superb shave it delivers.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I plan to get a Lo Storto, but stainless steel razors and their higher prize always threw a wrench into this particular acquisition!

If you like Fatip, you might want to give Parker a try. Particularly their superheavy razors are interesting, or their semi-slant. What reminds me of Fatip is that their quality is not always that good. Mostly it's just the finish, but I would not buy a TTO/butterfly from them. Besides that, don't like that design anyways.

I am very much of the opinion that the DE89/R89 simply is not efficient. I get a better shave with a Merkur 34c or the King C. Gillette or about... actually next to almost everything. The R89 almost made me stop wetshaving when I first tried it.

I then switched to the R41 for years, which was kinda the opposite in terms of aggression and efficiency. Nowadays I think that the R41 is efficient, but at the cost of not justified aggression level. It taught me how to shave well though for sure! :)

My current favorite is the Alpha Shaving/Executive Shaving Outlaw. It even beats my Rocca, except maybe in one quality: The Outlaw does produce a nice blade/shaving sound, but the Rocca does so even better. But at least it does "sing", many flathead razors these days are pretty silent. I am thinking of my Razorock razors atm.

never gelled with the Gentile as it was too mild for me. I get great shaves with the R89 using a nice sharp feather. love love the Grande.

Last edited:
I've always been curious about the Gentile, and after this excellent review I've tipped over from "curious" into "severely tempted".

I've always been curious about the Gentile, and after this excellent review I've tipped over from "curious" into "severely tempted".
If your razor preference runs toward comfort over absolute efficiency, you should give the Gentile a try. I personally prefer the mildest (and by that I mean gentle and comfortable, not inefficient) razor I can find that still provides a close shave. For reference, the top of my rotation includes the Henson AL13, the Razorock BBS and the Mamba 70, along with the Gentile. I'm also a big fan of the humble Super Speeds and Techs.

If your razor preference runs toward comfort over absolute efficiency, you should give the Gentile a try. I personally prefer the mildest (and by that I mean gentle and comfortable, not inefficient) razor I can find that still provides a close shave. For reference, the top of my rotation includes the Henson AL13, the Razorock BBS and the Mamba 70, along with the Gentile. I'm also a big fan of the humble Super Speeds and Techs.

Thanks - and yep, I think I'm going to give it a go.

For some reason the gentile doesn't agree much with my scalp.......on the other hand the Schone or the fatip open comb razors are really good.....and for the money can't be beaten. I used to think that the EJ/Muhle 89 were not good enough , but now think if you do 3 passes they are as good as all but smoother. Anything less than 3 passes and the shave ain't good for me....mind you, needs a sharp blade!.

Just placed an order for the FaTip Special Edition with the Piccolo and Gentile base plates, interested to see how the Gentile compares to my Edwin Jagger DE86 as it's my go to razor just now.

I just got my Gentile. The initial couple of shaves were promising, in that it coped very well with some areas that typically give me hassle, but then I had trouble clearing my chin which is normally plain-sailing with my 6S. It's going to take time to adjust to it, but I think it'll be worth it. Not a fan of the handle though - I find it a bit slippy.

One of the razors I can't manage a BBS with. Whatever blades I tried in it. Changed different blade angles. The result is DFS+ sometime not even DFS. I have never been a fan of the DE89 either. For my heavy beard even the new MK2 open comb Fatips are somewhat not enough. So, basically I bought a brass gold plated razor that looks fantastic and is not expensive, but doesn't give me a satisfactory shave.

I can only agree with this review, I’ve used straights and DE’s since 2014, and my TG is beyond doubt the best DE I’ve owned. I’ve tried both EJ and Muhle 89’s, the Merkur slant, Parker 96, and my Fatip (v2), is just so much more enjoyable to work with than any of them. My daily shave also starts off with the Proraso pre-shave cream, then I lather up with either the Proraso Red, or Klar Seifen soaps; two passes with my TG and it’s current blade, Derby Premium, and I have a BBS face with no irritation or weepers. Aesthetically I love the look, and in terms of build quality I’m more than happy, I don’t have any issues getting blades aligned (I load the top cap (pins up) with the blade then place baseplate over the top, gently screw down the handle and it’s ready to go), and the chrome finish is tidy. I’m constantly surprised by the Fatip bashers out there.

Top Bottom