What's new

The Fascinating Development Story Of The Gillette Mach 3, The 'Best' Cartridge Razor Ever (?)

It's not the user's opinion about the Guard that I posted that link for.

It's that story about the Mach 3 launch.

It provided me a very different point of view about how the M3 was launched, when compared to the article that the original post linked to.

Now compare that with this:

"
Gillette launched the Mach 3 with a massive advertising campaign & marketing effort. In an effort to increase their revenues from India, the M3 was launched at almost 3 times the price of the Sensor, & carts were correspondingly priced. Now, India is a price sensitive market, & most middle class Indians just could not afford these new razors, so most Indians ignored the hype & hoopla & those who were using the Sensor stayed with it. Desperate marketing departments with unrealistic sales targets had to do something, to show that they had made all efforts possible. At which point, some bright spark in the marketing dept. presumably had a brainwave. If Indians were not willing to switch over to the M3, why, for their own good, they must be forced to!
Sensor cartridges, which had already increased in price to incentivize switching over to M3's were abruptly priced still higher, almost equal to M3's. At the same time, they were made virtually unavailable. Now, increasing the prices of Sensor cartridges during the M3 launch was successfully done all over the world, but in India it was taken to extremes, & taking Sensor cartridges off store shelves was going seriously overboard. Presumably, Sensor users were expected to buy M3's in droves, as Sensors became unavailable.
Although some Indians with higher disposable incomes did switch over, most were angered at Gillette's blatant price gouging. Most Indians angrily rejected all Gillette products altogether, supported by Sensor compatible cartridges from Supermax, which fit neatly on their old handles. Supermax also released their own brands of Sensor type swivel head razors with 3 & later 4 blades.
Gillette's own sales figures show flat sales during this period, with no return for the massive advertising spend incurred. Taking into account that each M3 razor/cart was 3 times the price of the Sensor, this implies that unit sales of the M3 were one third that of the Sensor prior to the M3 launch. (Other Gillette sales were probably considered negligible, as Trac II type carts were marketed by a completely different Gillette, set up in the 80's as a collaboration, & which also owns the Wilkinson brand in India.) I'm told that industry insiders privately acknowledge that Gillette's sales actually fell for the first time, although confirmation is understandably hard to come by. How big a marketing error this was can be judged by the fact that by some accounts, Supermax went on to become the world's second largest manufacturer of razors in unit terms by the late 2000's, although not in revenue terms. Most of their razors were not sold under their own brands & were sold as store brands or to other private players. Supermax has since lost this position to Dorco & others. The owner of Supermax bought Elizabeth Taylor’s multi million dollar mansion after her death, so they are still doing well.
"

It's worthwhile noting that a few years after the M3 launched, Gillette had lost enough money that they were ripe for a takeover , and P&G bought them in 2005.

They did not make the same mistake during the Fusion launch. Mach 3 & other razors were available at the time.

Last edited:
Sorry for necroing an old thread, but I only came across it now, and as a user of Mach3 for almost 25 years, I have to say that, while I found the Mach3 to be superior to the Sensor Excel (what I graduated from), I actually found that it was specifically the Mach3 “Turbo” blades that were noticeably better, making those the best blades I’ve ever used.

They’ve been discontinued in the US for some years now, but you can still buy them online as they are still sold and produced in other areas internationally. What the Turbo blades seemed to do was remove any initial tug that the original blades still seemed to have, making every stroke completely pain/discomfort-free, which, to me, was a big deal, cuz as good as the Mach3 was, I still hated that initial pull on the hairs (call me a wuss I don’t care), but Ever since I discovered them, it’s been Turbo blades for me.

I don’t know what makes them so much better, supposedly it’s just a lubrication strip, but man, I’d almost bet money that there is something else to them cuz how can just a little lube strip make so much of a difference?

In any case, I just wanted to mention the T-Blades, in case anyone was curious enough to try them. eBay has got a bunch. Also, if I recall correctly, the Turbo handle was all metal, a very heavy handle that felt quality in the hand. I much prefer that handle to all the other Mach3 handles I’ve had over the years.

Cheers!

What the Turbo blades seemed to do was remove any initial tug that the original blades still seemed to have, making every stroke completely pain/discomfort-free, which, to me, was a big deal

Interesting, as a Mach III user for many years, I always used the regular blades. Never knew what the "Turbo" blades were.

Never really had anything against the Mach III, only started using it when I couldn't get the Trac II blades any longer.

The Mach III blades start out very sharp. But then the shave only becomes average, with some tugging.

Went back to DE shaving because I was tired of overpaying for mediocre shaves

Also, if I recall correctly, the Turbo handle was all metal, a very heavy handle that felt quality in the hand. I much prefer that handle to all the other Mach3 handles I’ve had over the years.

Never realized there was a metal handle available. If I knew, I would have purchased one.

"Most men, Mr. Flynn said, take between 100 and 500 strokes when they shave, often going over the same area again and again."

I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years....

I switch between ACs, DEs, and the Mach3 (1998 version). The Mach Turbo blades are, to me, smoother than any other cartridge or disposable, and they last well into the teens. The shaves are good enough that I won't be confused with Aqualung. Of all the cartridge systems, the Mach3 is the least problematic for me.

Interesting, as a Mach III user for many years, I always used the regular blades. Never knew what the "Turbo" blades were.

Never really had anything against the Mach III, only started using it when I couldn't get the Trac II blades any longer.

The Mach III blades start out very sharp. But then the shave only becomes average, with some tugging.

Went back to DE shaving because I was tired of overpaying for mediocre shaves

Never realized there was a metal handle available. If I knew, I would have purchased one.
So, I tried looking for the same handle I remember having, but either I can’t find it or I could be wrong, but I swear I had a handle that I noticed was much heavier than the one I use today. In any case, I did see that Gillette came out with a Mach3 “Bold”, which is supposedly their heaviest handle ever, it’s “expertly weighted” and it’s made to work with a magnetic stand that keeps it standing upright/vertical.

I think I’m gonna order one along with a year’s worth of Turbo blades to boot.

So, I tried looking for the same handle I remember having, but either I can’t find it or I could be wrong, but I swear I had a handle that I noticed was much heavier than the one I use today. In any case, I did see that Gillette came out with a Mach3 “Bold”, which is supposedly their heaviest handle ever, it’s “expertly weighted” and it’s made to work with a magnetic stand that keeps it standing upright/vertical.

I think I’m gonna order one along with a year’s worth of Turbo blades to boot.
Don’t waste your money. I have it and it’s not heavy.

Search eBay for NOS mach3, normal or turbo.

Original handles back in 98 or early 2000’s were metal and heavier.

I bought one from 98 for 8 bucks 2 weeks ago.

Now the Mach 3 handle is almost the same as a disposable, light plastic garbage.

@GTBase this one. 1998 old stock.
cfdeda21-8495-4dc5-bdd1-51c1ff6f3023.jpeg

The Gillette Mach3 "Bold" was made for the Indian market, and you still get them from there via eBay. Walmart was selling them as the Gillette Signature Mach3, but they've been out of stock for months. The handle is light and slick and a real hand-slipper when wet, but the magnetic base is okay.

I have two M3's from 1998, one that came in the packaging shown above, and the other that came with its own flat case (similar to the Sensor Excel), which I'd never seen before.

Top Bottom