What's new

The Famous Feather Blade!

So after reading so much about them I decided to get some and try them for myself. At first I was hesitant about using them because I was new to DE shaving and thought that I would carve myself up with a blade as sharp as a feather. I thought that I should probably get better and more consistent with my technique before I tried them. Being the impatient person as I am though I pulled the trigger and had my first experience with a feather tonight.... And all I can say is wow! My best shave to date. I was able to get the tough areas on my neck that usually cause some discomfort and razor burn like it was nothing. I always have to be super careful on my neck with my ATG pass because of my course hair. No more! The feather slid right through it and I finished a very comfortable relaxing shave with a BBS! I'm going to shave with them exclusively over the next couple of weeks before I order them in bulk but they are worth, IMO, every extra penny they cost.

Again thank you guys for the feedback. I'm learning a lot here.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Coincidentally, I just tried the Feather for the first time today myself and am also a very new wet shaver and I wish I had just bypassed everything else. Fantastic shave. Just let the weight of the razor do the work as I should anyway and no problems. I only shaved against the grain in one small area on my neck (I have to due to how thick this spot is) and across in every other area and I had what I consider a perfect shave. :)

Over the years I have many times uttered that famous statement "Wow! That was my best shave ever". However, I have never gotten a better shave than with my Hoffritz slant and a Feather, unless maybe a Gillette New OC. Oh well, you get the point. Wish you many future great shaves.

Over the years I have many times uttered that famous statement "Wow! That was my best shave ever". However, I have never gotten a better shave than with my Hoffritz slant and a Feather, unless maybe a Gillette New OC. Oh well, you get the point. Wish you many future great shaves.

+1

I am still afraid to go with something as sharp as a samurai's sword. Started with the Derby and I will go through a couple more before I face the famous Feather. Call me chicken if you want. I want to get my technique better until I can risk my neck.

I waited four years before I had the nerve to try the Feather. It has now become my go to blade. Not a blade to get sloppy with but any blade will cut if you are careless

Hmmm. I'm not feeling the Feather frenzy. I used one for the first time today and it was no different than a Shark, Astra or a Wilkinson. Gillette Silver Blues, vintage Gillette Super Stainless "The Spoiler" and Schick Super Stainless blades are far superior to the Feather. This is one blade I will not be buying again.

the great beauty of the feather is that if you can tame the sharpness (read: pressure and angle) you will get a very close smooth shave with little need for touchups or excessive passes.

Using the Feather with a Merkur 43C a 5oz razor, and NO pressure gives me BBS shaves every time. After trying many other blades, I have to say that if there were no Feather blades there are probably 2 or 3 other only that I would use, but they are less sharp. Once I find a working formula, I find no reason to move until something changes, so that being said, my Feather and my Merkur are my daily shave.

Now, I do have a 1930's gold open comb waiting in the mail for me today. That will probably get loaded with a Derby, until I get that working well, but then, it too, will get loaded with a Feather.

Everyone should try them - the sharpest blade out there will ordinarily give you the closest shave with the least effort. And, to be honest, if your technique is good, they're not going to cut off your face.

A Feather blade in my Aristocrat #21 is the best combo I have found for me, with cream or with soap.

This, after five or so years of acquiring various Gillette DE razors (including a President, a Diplomat and various other Aristocrats) and a variety of blades in most of them. Scary reputation for the Feather blade, but turned out to not be the case for me.

Though I have yet to try the Medical Personnas.

Didn't give myself much time and I went straight to the deep end. I found these blades as being unique and very sharp but I did cut myself a few times when I first used it. I've learnt you need a super light touch and let the heaviness of razor do the work. Also your technique plays a big part with this blade. If you master this, you will have one amazing shave.

I love Feathers, I use them every day, seven smooth shaves out of each blade in my EJ DE89 Barley. It took me four or five months to try them and then I wished I had done it before. They glide through over my skin effortlessly, thus reducing the risk of irritation (as long as you get a proper angle).

They are sharp but don't fear them. Just have a bit of respect, as with ANY blade.

Of course, YMMV.

The trick is, in order to try feather blade, you need to have at least 1 month into wet shaving with a blade. If you did use an electric for 5 years like me, the first feather experience can be a nightmare.
The skin of my face has so much dead skin, that a feather blade will get glued into the skin, and will want to bite it off. Other then that, it reeducated me from pressure standpoint of view.
However, for me no extremely sharp blade works, and everything more sharp then a wilkinson, or an astra sp will draw blood and will decapitate the top of the follicles.

Feather Blades are the best with my Muhle R41,(str8 shaver in DE clothing) Sharper the better. Change blade out after 3 shaves, no longer sharp enough.

I have long promoted the use of Feathers early on. They are not the fearsome blades so often made out to be. Yes they are sharp, but aren't blades supposed to be? Start with a Feather - there is no better way IMO to learn the correct angle and pressure. Get it wrong and you soon know about it.

I'm starting to think using a Feather or other super sharp blade fairly early on should be promoted. In some ways it makes a lot of sense. The downside of sharp blades is that they are unforgiving of mistakes and poor technique. But that's great feedback! Getting a tiny nick for a sideways slip of the blade, too much pressure, or bad angle lets you know what you're doing wrong immediately. So long as you can use that feedback why wouldn't you want it? I'd say a few weeks on something tamer is enough to get used to handling a DE razor and knowing what you should be doing. After that, yeah, move to a sharp blade. The mistakes will tell you when you're wrong, and when you're right you are well rewarded right away.

Makes sense to me anyway. And we've had a few relative newbies post lately on their quick move to a Feather and it largely seems to work out.

As to using any blade that seems "dull", just don't. I've tried a few blades that pull and tug and just leave me raw after even my best technique and a few passes. Maybe they're fine for other people, as always YMMV, but I can't see why I'd ever want that kind of shave. There's a difference between sharp and super sharp, but dull doesn't belong in my razor.

Scott

Last edited:
Top Bottom