What's new

The Eye Test. The Old Timer (Polsilver SI) VS The Young Whippersnapper (Wizamet SI)

Once again I am ditching the poll here. There is a lot of interest in both blades. After the Personna Israeli Red blades, I have more experience with these blades than any other. In fact I would say that I use one of these blades every other week. I used to maintain that these were the exact same blades but over time I have developed a slight preference for one over the other. I can get substantially more comfortable shaves from the Wizamet SI than the Polsilver SI and I do find an ever so slight higher level of smoothness of the Wizamet SI over the Polsilver SI. For me, typically I get 5 or 6 comfortable shaves from Polsilver and with the Wizamet I get to 8 and usually ditch the blade because I am afraid the blade will go south on me. I figure after 8 shaves I got my money's worth from it. So without further ado....

Polsilver SI 20x
D New 20x.jpg

Wizamet SI 20x
E New 20x.jpg

Polsilver SI 200x
D New 200x.jpg

Wizamet SI 200x
E New 200x.jpg

Last edited:
Could the difference possibly be due to different manufacturing date? A change in machine settings or material sourcing? Now I haven't used modern blades in years but when I did I used both and they seemed exactly the same to me.

Could the difference possibly be due to different manufacturing date? A change in machine settings or material sourcing? Now I haven't used modern blades in years but when I did I used both and they seemed exactly the same to me.
It is difficult to say if it was a change based on rebranding the blades or if the Wizamets are supposed to be an improved version. Perhaps just different setups of the manufacturing machines? The date codes for the Polsilvers are in 2016 and the Wizamets are in 2020.
Wizamet
Wizamet Date.jpg

Polsilver
Polsilver Date Codes.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
It is difficult to say if it was a change based on rebranding the blades or if the Wizamets are supposed to be an improved version. Perhaps just different setups of the manufacturing machines? The date codes for the Polsilvers are in 2016 and the Wizamets are in 2020.

I bet if you took a microscopic look at two Polsilver blades from 4 years apart they would look just as different. Its a guess, but I suspect this. If I can dig out my USB microscope, I have some polsilver blades from lots of different years. I recently moved to a smaller dwelling, and a lot of my extra stuff is in storage. So i am not sure how much time it will take for me to dig the microscope out of a box buried under who know how much stuff. :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I bet if you took a microscopic look at two Polsilver blades from 4 years apart they would look just as different. Its a guess, but I suspect this. If I can dig out my USB microscope, I have some polsilver blades from lots of different years. I recently moved to a smaller dwelling, and a lot of my extra stuff is in storage. So i am not sure how much time it will take for me to dig the microscope out of a box buried under who know how much stuff. :)
This would be SO AWESOME for nerds like me my friend!

Once again I am ditching the poll here. There is a lot of interest in both blades. After the Personna Israeli Red blades, I have more experience with these blades than any other. In fact I would say that I use one of these blades every other week. I used to maintain that these were the exact same blades but over time I have developed a slight preference for one over the other. I can get substantially more comfortable shaves from the Wizamet SI than the Polsilver SI and I do find an ever so slight higher level of smoothness of the Wizamet SI over the Polsilver SI. For me, typically I get 5 or 6 comfortable shaves from Polsilver and with the Wizamet I get to 8 and usually ditch the blade because I am afraid the blade will go south on me. I figure after 8 shaves I got my money's worth from it. So without further ado....

Polsilver SI 20x
View attachment 1256360

Wizamet SI 20x
View attachment 1256361

Polsilver SI 200x
View attachment 1256362

Wizamet SI 200x
View attachment 1256363

Sir, I really like these comparisons seen under a microscope! I also want to buy a usb microscope, how much does it cost? Is it similar to those on aliexpress or is it a more expensive laboratory tool? Can you please post a photo with your microscope and possibly a link?

Sir, I really like these comparisons seen under a microscope! I also want to buy a usb microscope, how much does it cost? Is it similar to those on aliexpress or is it a more expensive laboratory tool? Can you please post a photo with your microscope and possibly a link?
You can probably find a different one cheaper. 100 pounds seems like a high price.
Veho USB Microscopes

wow, expensive for me! what minimum technical features should I look for to be usable in blade checks?
Honestly I don't know. I just used the Veho one because my company provided one for examining photos for print defects. If Aliexpress has cheap ones then go with that.

I have used Polsilver blades. They are good blades, but there are others I much prefer. I put them in the same class as Gillette Platinum and Gillette Silver Blue as far as sharpness and smoothness is concerned. I would not pay a premium for them as many have done recently.

I have never used the Wizamet blades. However, from the photos, they appear to be blades I might like. However, at $30 per 100, they are more expensive than most other blades in my den.

Here is the USB microscope I use when honing straight razors:

I had a less expensive 2 MP microscope, but it was useless. You need a minimum of 5 megapixel resolution to be able to see what you are looking for. I would not recommending purchasing cheap ones, you are likely to be disappointed.

I have used Polsilver blades. They are good blades, but there are others I much prefer. I put them in the same class as Gillette Platinum and Gillette Silver Blue as far as sharpness and smoothness is concerned. I would not pay a premium for them as many have done recently.

I have never used the Wizamet blades. However, from the photos, they appear to be blades I might like. However, at $30 per 100, they are more expensive than most other blades in my den.
I bought my Wizamets at Wizashave last year. I paid $45 for 250 so that works out to 18 cents a blade or $18 per hundred. For me they are worth that price.

Here is the USB microscope I use when honing straight razors:

I had a less expensive 2 MP microscope, but it was useless. You need a minimum of 5 megapixel resolution to be able to see what you are looking for. I would not recommending purchasing cheap ones, you are likely to be disappointed.
That is a nice looking microscope and the stand is much superior to the one mine came with. I never used the stand but put the microscope directly on the paper (or in this case blade edge).

I think it was @alin or perhaps @Dualist that asked to see a comparison of a new and used blade but it might have been someone else. Today I used a Wizamet SI for the eighth shave. I did feel a little minor irritation after the shave and it seems to me 8 shaves is MY limit for the Wizamet blade. After I shave, I disassemble my razor and rinse and dry all three pieces as well as the blade. For the blade I lie it on it a towel and fold it over to pat the top of it dry. Preventing blade/razor rust and minimizing damage to the blade coatings are my goals. With that I will post a new blade vs an 8 shave blade photos for comparison.

New Wizamet ST 20x
E New 20x.jpg

After 8 shaves 20x
E OLD 20x.jpg

New Wizamet SI 200x
E New 200x.jpg

After 8 shaves 200x
E OLD 200x.jpg

To my eye the used blade edge looks more ragged. To my sensitive skin there is a slight increase with post shave irritation after 7 shaves. YMMV

Top Bottom