What's new

The Eye Test. King C Gillette and other P&G blades.

I received a King C Gillette blade today sent from forum member @Bill_G. I have taken a 200x photo and I am going to post it with other P&G Russian blades for comparison. Unfortunately I don't have any Gillette Platinum, Minora or Permasharp blades.

King C Gillette 200x
KCG 200X.jpg

Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (yellow) 200x
H New 200x.jpg

Gillette 7 O'Clock SS (green)
I New 200x.jpg

Astra SP 200x
B New 200x.jpg

Astra SS 200X
C New 200x.jpg

Gillette Rubie 200X
Rubie New 200x.jpg

Gillette Nacet 200x
K New 200x.jpg

Gillette Silver Blue 200x
L New 200x.jpg

Polsilver SI 200x
D New 200x.jpg

Wizamet SI 200x
E New 200x.jpg

Looking at these images a couple of blades I like don't look that good, GSB's, Astra SS & SP. Although I also like the King C. Gillette, SharpEdge & Nacet. Due to manufacturing tolerances could there be some sample variations?

In an older thread @South Dakota Guy referred to his sample Astra SP as a rusty can lid! The SS isn't looking much better here. As for the GSB, what you are seeing is the very thick PTFE coating obscuring our view of the edge. That was mentioned in a 7 year old series of SEM images.
My description of the Astra SP is based not only on my visual observation but also on my shaving experience. I find that the Astra SPs feel rough and uncomfortable when I shave with them. Without checking samples from various lots of blades I can’t say if my blades are normal or from a bad lot. I never set out to get a consensus of all blades but to answer my own question as to why I found my Astra SPs feel rough when I shave and why the Personna Israeli Red felt smooth to me. My visual comparison meshed with my shaving experience. It kind of grew from there.
The Eye Test. Astra SP vs Personna Platinum Chrome

Have you ever compared 2 of the same blades your own for some sample variations? Also let me know if you're interested I can mail you another Astra SP & SS to retest.
I would love to scope an Astra SP from a different lot than mine and yours would very likely be from a different lot. I have a hard time reconciling my experience with Astra SPs and the fact that it is a favorite of so many people. I keep questioning whether my blades are from a bad lot or do I just feel them differently than some people. The first blade that I ever tried was a Derby Extra (green tuck), it was bad. The second blade that I tried was an Astra SP. It was an improvement but still bad. Every other blade that I tried has been an improvement over those two. I have retried those two blades and my opinion remains the same, they suck. I ordered Derby Extra blue tuck and Derby Premium last week to compare.

I would love to scope an Astra SP from a different lot than mine and yours would very likely be from a different lot. I have a hard time reconciling my experience with Astra SPs and the fact that it is a favorite of so many people.
Have you seen this? It appears that the bevel is fairly wide and the quality control hasn't improved.
They were the first blade I tried based on the glowing reviews and regardless of technique, they tugged and tugged. New or old. It really held me back because I thought it was me.

Have you seen this? It appears that the bevel is fairly wide and the quality control hasn't improved.
They were the first blade I tried based on the glowing reviews and regardless of technique, they tugged and tugged. New or old. It really held me back because I thought it was me.
I really hate it when people recommend Astra SP blades to Newbies. I think a very large portion of shavers do not get comfortable shaves from those blades. Nothing is more discouraging for someone learning to use DE razors than getting irritation shave after shave. Thanks for the link. I am anxious to scope the blade sent by @Bill_G. I am not overly hopeful that it will be any better.

I am anxious to scope the blade sent by @Bill_G. I am not overly hopeful that it will be any better.
If I haven't yet, I just want to say thank you again for doing these. I was around when you started, before I was a member, and I know you have to find time to use your work's microscope.

Some of those picture at that link, and a few others they have done, provide an interesting look at the blades. I have always wanted bevel angle comparisons myself because ultimately that is what determines sharpness. Knowing that Feathers are 14 degrees and Astras are 17 gives me something concrete to compare.

Top Bottom