What's new

The Eye Test. King C Gillette and other P&G blades.

I'm a daily shaver also. In the past I used to take weekends off. But when I switched over to double edge razors back in June of 2019 I started shaving everyday to make sure I got the hang of it. And I have not taken a day off since.

I always do three passes and some touch-ups around my chin. I have a mole of my chin so I shave that area very carefully.
The beard tugging must be related to the toughness of the beard hair then. I guess my old man white whiskers aren't as tough as I thought that they were.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I received a King C Gillette blade today sent from forum member @Bill_G. I have taken a 200x photo and I am going to post it with other P&G Russian blades for comparison. Unfortunately I don't have any Gillette Platinum, Minora or Permasharp blades.

King C Gillette 200x
View attachment 1287710

Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (yellow) 200x
View attachment 1287712

Gillette 7 O'Clock SS (green)
View attachment 1287727

Astra SP 200x
View attachment 1287730

Astra SS 200X
View attachment 1287734

Gillette Rubie 200X
View attachment 1287738

Gillette Nacet 200x
View attachment 1287740

Gillette Silver Blue 200x
View attachment 1287742

Polsilver SI 200x
View attachment 1287745

Wizamet SI 200x
View attachment 1287746
I think the Nacet blade looks the best. The one time I used one I was impressed.

Just wanted to update this thread on my experience with the 4 Wizamet blades I received from @South Dakota Guy .
The first time I used these blades I was rewarded with 3 good shaves before I tossed the blade. But lately I started using the other blades I have left & have been rewarded with 7 great shaves from theses blades. Maybe they worked better on my 34C than the Muhle R89 I used initially. In fact my 34C & 33C have become my favorite razors over my stainless GC.

But I've been also getting 7 great shaves from the KCG blades, Nacets & the Astras SS. Considering I bought 100 Astra SS from Amazon for $8.97 & 100 Nacets for $13.49 I find it hard to justify the price of the Wizamet. BUT the Wizamets are definitely great blades & might be buying more in the near future.

I tried a KCG blade for the first time today, in my Henson AL13 Aggressive (+++). It is by far the best blade pairing I have had with this razor. Better than both of my favorites, Wizamet and Nacet. My first thought after shaving with the KCG, was that it was a rebranded Nacet. It is very hard to tell from the "eye test" pictures if this is true. I typically toss any blade after 2 shaves, except for Polsilver/Wizamet and Nacet, from which I get 3 shaves. I have a pretty course beard and sensitive skin, which is why I toss most blades so soon. IMHO, the KCG shaves similar to the Wizamet and Nacet, with equal smoothness...more so than the Gillette Platinum dark blue box blades. As with everything in this shaving hobby, YMMV.

I tried a KCG blade for the first time today, in my Henson AL13 Aggressive (+++). It is by far the best blade pairing I have had with this razor. Better than both of my favorites, Wizamet and Nacet. My first thought after shaving with the KCG, was that it was a rebranded Nacet. It is very hard to tell from the "eye test" pictures if this is true. I typically toss any blade after 2 shaves, except for Polsilver/Wizamet and Nacet, from which I get 3 shaves. I have a pretty course beard and sensitive skin, which is why I toss most blades so soon. IMHO, the KCG shaves similar to the Wizamet and Nacet, with equal smoothness...more so than the Gillette Platinum dark blue box blades. As with everything in this shaving hobby, YMMV.
If you watch the recently posted video on blade production, you will realise they have a number of different "dials" to turn to make a blade "receipt." I have been of the opinion for some time that, as a compromise, some of these blades from the same factory may be the same before coating. It is entirely possible that a run of Nacet blades is taken from the honing stage and run through a different finishing stage than the ones destined for Nacet boxes. This is one explanation how there are three different Platinum blades that are clearly different, if only slightly. And yes, despite recent speculation(other than Lord), Platinum coated means exactly that(there are patents related to this). If it is not detected in a SEM analysis it is because it is below detection.

I'm going to start by saying this again I'm NOT a fan of P&G or Gillette! But the King C. Gillette blades work great on my face. Today I used one for the 7th shave & will keep using it till it starts to tug. I usually use a blade about 3-4 times at the most. The Wizamet's @South Dakota Guy sent me were good for 3 shaves. On the 4th shave they started tugging immediately WTG. Tossed it & finished the shave with the KCG blade I used today for the 7th shave.

Don't know how these compare to the other Gillette blades I used as far as longevity. The other Gillette blades I like are the Yellow's followed very closely by the GSB's & Nacet's in that order. Since I still have some samples of those blades will try to compare them to the KCG. But I'm going to need to order some dark blue Platinum's to add to my comparison & maybe I'll also try some Greens & Blacks as well.
I have been able to achieve 18 shaves with one. And actually “and counting”, because it has not lost its smoothness, comfort nor efficiency. Amazing blade and a lucky strike for me personally. It came with the KCG razor as my first DE and I was able to acquire a whole lot of blades at a fair price point (compared to what they usually go under).

However, if I were to compare these blades to any other blade in terms of cost per shave, they are still more expensive (for me obviously, YMMV) than Tiger Platinums and Dorco ST300HQs and Titans. Unless - and that’s what I am investigating - I can get more shaves out of one blade. Not that I want to do that with each and every blade - I like variety - but I am just curious.

Cheers,

Guido

I like the KCG blades a lot, but not their retail price, so have read this thread with interest.

100 Nacets are on their way, fingers crossed.

Unlike some, I find Astra SPs OK,and have a good stash of them, but the KCG feels smoother on shave 1.

I agree they last well, I have used one to #13 without obvious signs of bluntness.

To be fair, I also like Wizamet SIs.

Top Bottom