What's new

The Everyday Blade

Karve razors are available with a variety of base plates from AA (extremely mild) to G (quite aggressive) and in both safety bar and open comb models. Stating which blade works in your Karve does not mean much without knowing which plate you are using. I find the Karve D plate solid bar to be very efficient, yet it does not feel aggressive. I have sensitive skin, but can easily use some of the sharpest blades available in that razor.
Interesting... I doubt highly that what base plate I’m using is going to impact your opinion. I’m glad the D is working for you. It’s an individual thing for sure.

I got my sampler pack today, so once I finish my current tuck of Feathers, I'll try one of the new ones. It's not that I don't like Feather blades, they're excellent; it's more that I've used them for a long time and haven't really tried that many others (Personnas were OK, German Wilkinson Swords are pretty good, Merkur are terrible and I'll never use those again). I'm looking forward to switching things up for a while.

Any thoughts or opinions on which I should try first? Here's what came in the pack:
  1. Feather (I know what these are like, so these will be last)
  2. Astra SP
  3. Bic Chrome Platinum
  4. Gillette Silver Blue
  5. Gillette 7 o'Clock Yellow
  6. Derby Extra

Some may not agree, but this is how I rank your list of six blades in order of sharpness over three shaves. I rarely go beyond three shaves with any blade as my tough beard is hard on edges.

1. Feather, the sharpest out of the wrapper, but becomes harsh very quickly. I cannot even make it through the 3rd shave.
2. BIC Chrome Platinum- great in mild to moderate razors
3. Gillette Silver Blue- good in most razors
4. 7 O'Clock Yellow- good in moderate to aggressive razors.
5. Astra SP- reviews on this blade are mixed. Some people love them, others do not. I can use them, but I do not enjoy doing so. Many blades get sharper after the first use, but for me the SP blades need three shaves before they seem to reach peak sharpness and then quit working after the fourth shave. I have not been able to figure out what is going on with these blades, so I avoid them. I can understand why people with beards less coarse than mine might find them to be great blades.
6. Derby Extra- These won't even cut my beard without tugging. I gave mine away. If Merkur blades do not work, these may not as well

Since you do not like Feather and Merkur, I recommend you try the 7 O'Clock Yellow and GSB next. If that goes well, try the BIC. Be aware that the BIC blades become extremely sharp after then first use, so do not get careless with them.

I got my sampler pack today, so once I finish my current tuck of Feathers, I'll try one of the new ones. It's not that I don't like Feather blades, they're excellent; it's more that I've used them for a long time and haven't really tried that many others (Personnas were OK, German Wilkinson Swords are pretty good, Merkur are terrible and I'll never use those again). I'm looking forward to switching things up for a while.

Any thoughts or opinions on which I should try first? Here's what came in the pack:
  2. Astra SP
  3. Bic Chrome Platinum
  4. Gillette Silver Blue
  6. Derby Extra
Be careful with the BIC. This thing can nick you really bad.

Interesting... I doubt highly that what base plate I’m using is going to impact your opinion. I’m glad the D is working for you. It’s an individual thing for sure.

The reason that I asked about the plate is that I generally use very sharp blades in mild to moderate razors and mid-sharp blades in moderate to aggressive razors. Since the D plate is moderately aggressive (0.98 mm blade gap and +0.13 mm blade exposure), a Gillette Silver Blue is a reasonable choice for that razor. With my tough beard, I would want an even sharper blade if I had an A plate (0.60 mm blade gap, negative 0.02 mm blade exposure). However, I could use a GSB; but the shave might not be as close.

2. Astra SP
  3. Bic Chrome Platinum
  4. Gillette Silver Blue
  6. Derby Extra

Doesn't much matter where you start, but I'd start with the GSB. That'll establish a good baseline for comparing the other blades. For what it's worth, the Yellow and GSB are currently ranked # 2 and # 4 for me, I really love both of those blades and I think you'll probably like them. You've got a good group of blades there. The only one I haven't tried is the Derby Extra.

Some may not agree, but this is how I rank your list of six blades in order of sharpness over three shaves. I rarely go beyond three shaves with any blade as my tough beard is hard on edges.

1. Feather, the sharpest out of the wrapper, but becomes harsh very quickly. I cannot even make it through the 3rd shave.
2. BIC Chrome Platinum- great in mild to moderate razors
3. Gillette Silver Blue- good in most razors
4. 7 O'Clock Yellow- good in moderate to aggressive razors.
5. Astra SP- reviews on this blade are mixed. Some people love them, others do not. I can use them, but I do not enjoy doing so. Many blades get sharper after the first use, but for me the SP blades need three shaves before they seem to reach peak sharpness and then quit working after the fourth shave. I have not been able to figure out what is going on with these blades, so I avoid them. I can understand why people with beards less coarse than mine might find them to be great blades.
6. Derby Extra- These won't even cut my beard without tugging. I gave mine away. If Merkur blades do not work, these may not as well

Since you do not like Feather and Merkur, I recommend you try the 7 O'Clock Yellow and GSB next. If that goes well, try the BIC. Be aware that the BIC blades become extremely sharp after then first use, so do not get careless with them.
Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions. I actually do like Feathers, they're my current everyday blade, just have to take a day off with them every so often and give my face a break. I wouldn't object if I find something just as good but cheaper. I wasn't excited about the inclusion of the Derbys, but if they work, it'll be a pleasant
Be careful with the BIC. This thing can nick you really bad.
Good to know, thanks!
Doesn't much matter where you start, but I'd start with the GSB. That'll establish a good baseline for comparing the other blades. For what it's worth, the Yellow and GSB are currently ranked # 2 and # 4 for me, I really love both of those blades and I think you'll probably like them. You've got a good group of blades there. The only one I haven't tried is the Derby Extra.
Thanks, that's a couple of votes for GSB and Yellow, so I might just start there.

^ good choice. The Yellow and GSB are, imho, not radically different and share obvious DNA. I use the same setting on my adjustables for both, whereas many other blades require at least a small adjustment up or down due to differences in blade sharpness or tendency to irritate. I like the Yellows a bit more than GSBs because I nick/cut myself less with them and usually get no sting at all with the alum block; for me the Yellow is more "fool proof". But I would happily take either as my one desert island blade if it came to that.

I shave daily and rotate through a handful of favourites plus the occasional one-off blade, but if I had to pick just one as a daily driver, German Wilkinson Sword would probably be the most comfortable

GSBs, 7 o'clocks are really user friendly as is Astras for some (not me though, they are.. & £%! Self censorship lol).

Feathers n Nacets are better in mild or really smooth razors.
BICs are real hit or miss as they work super in my GC84 but in almost everything else they're below par.

The only issue with GSBs is the costs, nearly feather like.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

LORD never seems to get much love but as a daily shaver they do fine. BBS results in moderate razor. For a few days growth you need a bit more sharpness.

They are cheap as chips top.
I like
LORD super stainless
ASCO orange
LORD platinum

LORD never seems to get much love but as a daily shaver they do fine. BBS results in moderate razor. For a few days growth you need a bit more sharpness.

They are cheap as chips top.
I like
LORD super stainless
ASCO orange
LORD platinum

Lord blades are supposed to be based on Wilkinson Sword technology from around 1980. The only such blade I have tried is Shark Chrome. They are among the worst blades I have tried on my coarse beard. I hope the other Lord branded blades are sharper than that one.

I alternate between Silver Blues and Feathers between a dozen or so rigs. It's tough to go apples to apples as far as what performs better with what razor, but the Blues are always pretty tame, mild and comfortable. The Silver Blues give me 2-3 great shaves at most. I never try to stretch the life of any blade thp.

I certainly agree that GSBs are good blades and would be solid as a daily choice. My go to is still the Astra SP but I really like Nacets and Wilkinson Sword China. Life’s a b..... with so many nice choices. I found that the C plate worked well in my Karve but I just bordered on some neck irritation.

I generally shave every day, usually with my Feather AS-D2. I could easily use Gillette Silver Blue every day and I may do so when my bulk selection runs low. Lord Super Chrome would be my choice if based on cost alone.

Top Bottom