What's new

The ever troublesome ingrown hairs.

Have you seen a dermatologist to confirm that the issue is ingrown hairs? It could be folliculitis, which can look very similar, but is actually a bacterial infection of the follicle, not an ingrown hair.

I stand my Tech right up on its guard and lightly buff the neck, every pass. Typical wtg-xtg, but on atg, not so much countering the grain as skewing against it, moving the blade more N-S.

I get ingrowns on my neck too. Too much brush action will make me break out like crazy.
I do a cold water shave, lather in a bowl and lightly paint the soap on my face, 2 WTG passes, then a cold water rinse. Alum helps reduce irritation quite a bit.
Works for me, but others may think I'm crazy. :biggrin:

Try Shea moisture bump serum. Most Walgreen's sell it, its what I use.
And just for the heck of it, try simplifying. I have proraso green pre shave that I tried when I first started, but never touch it now. I found that although it felt pretty good to use, when I cut it out, a lot of problems went away.
Second, when I started, pressure was a big thing. I thought I had the pressure part down, until I realizes that holding the razor for any direction besides up and down, I was using pressure by accident. Try to slow down a bit more. Not on speed of strokes but altogether. And really really concentrate when doing your neck, especially with the pressure. You have a very light razor so this can be tricky.
Not to jump around, but back to the prep...
As far as making things less complicated, try this... Called Kyle's method, if I remember correctly...
Shower while paying special attention to hydrate beard and neck as much as possible during your shower. Apply conditioner if u want, I like to, but rinse it off. When you get out, don't dry your face at all. Your brush should be soaking through the whole shower in hot water (sorry forgot that). Start making your lather and if this takes time, keep your face wet. Then get a hand towel or terry towel ready. Lather up your face as you normally would for your first pass, but spend a good amount of time doing this, especially your neck, but don't irritate it. Then take your towel and get it wet with hot water and ring a bit, but still want it hot. Hold on your face and neck til it begins to cool. Remove and rewet with hot water. Do this at least twice. I do it 2-3 depending. Then gently wipe the lather off with the towel and rewet face. Apply lather and continue as normal. No reason to apply anything until your witch hazel or AS after, then a balm if you choose.
I know when u read this it sounds more complicated, but its not once you try it.
Your lather has all the components needed to soften your beard and prepare your face.
If this doesn't work then you don't lose anything because I can guarantee it won't be any worse.
Also, give your face 2 whole days at least to heal, if your job allows. During those days take care of your face by keeping it clean and moisturizing. When not shaving for these days, MAYBE try the soft toothbrush thing, but only on the bumps, not the whole area. Then use witch hazel after the brush.
Hope I didn't confuse you but this worked for me and I do it every time now, minus the brush because I don't get ingrown hairs anymore.
I've learned to accept a less close shave on my neck but it's getting closer with time.
And try NOT to stretch your skin while shaving your ncleck. This can definitely cause ingrown hairs.
Good luck and happy shaving!!!
Edit : spelling

And feel free to PM me if you need clarification on this. I'm not the best at explaining, but I was exactly where you were before trying this method. :)

Have you seen a dermatologist to confirm that the issue is ingrown hairs? It could be folliculitis, which can look very similar, but is actually a bacterial infection of the follicle, not an ingrown hair.

I stand my Tech right up on its guard and lightly buff the neck, every pass. Typical wtg-xtg, but on atg, not so much countering the grain as skewing against it, moving the blade more N-S.

Thank you all again for the advice. I've been using the Tend Skin Ingrown Hair Solution I ordered for around 5 days now, leaving three days before shaving last night, I'm seeing a big improvement.

I think this at least confirms that the problem is ingrown hair, rather than an infection. Now I just need to improve the process/my technique to reduce the need for the Tend Skin Solution. I'll go through all the suggestions and give them each a trial period, and shall see what happens.

Again, thank you all for your advice, and a Happy New Year to you all.

Danny

Thank you all again for the advice. I've been using the Tend Skin Ingrown Hair Solution I ordered for around 5 days now, leaving three days before shaving last night, I'm seeing a big improvement.

I think this at least confirms that the problem is ingrown hair, rather than an infection. Now I just need to improve the process/my technique to reduce the need for the Tend Skin Solution. I'll go through all the suggestions and give them each a trial period, and shall see what happens.

Again, thank you all for your advice, and a Happy New Year to you all.

Danny

Well good luck!!!
My biggest problem was waiting to shave again. I'm still excited to shave, but alas, every time I try to shave every day, I start having issues again... Then have to wait 2-3 day to heal up. Kind of counterproductive. Sort of 6 of one, half dozen of the other lol.
But I hope this works out. I found that by waiting, the ingrown hairs went away (with treatment and TLC to my face and beard), then once they are gone, and you're careful in techniques, then they shouldn't return.
When I first started I thought it was the DE that was the problem, but it was a mix of not knowing what I was doing yet and irritation/ingrown hairs from carts that crossed over and I never let them heal.
You may have to look yetti like for a short amount of time, but soon you will be smooth as silk.
First time I finished a shave with no redness on my neck, I couldn't stop touching it and looking at it and rubbing it.... Which then caused irritation lol.

Top Bottom